Vintage Club #10 with Richard | Fingerstyle Part 2

Thanks for posting the documents! Some excercises will go into my practice routine asap. I wish I could play the A shaped barres already…facinating what can be done with the harmonics…
A lot of water running down the river till I will be there…

I wasn t able to follow so i quit … Ill try to work on the ressources instead
thanks for the documents

1 Like

Thanks Ruaridh, that is such heartwarming feedback. I know you already have the ability to play many songs fingerstyle so to know that you - and hopefully others who are also not early stage finger-beginners - found value in it is great news.
Thanks for all the useful tips too.
:slight_smile:

Thanks you Andrea. I too find it inspirational how simply adding in that extra pinch can transform a very simple piece into something that has extra richness and interest.

I’m glad you were able to attend Joshua. And thank you for your very kind words. Like Ruaridh, if you, who have some experience and fingerstyle skills already gained from it then it seems I hit the mark of offering something to everyone. :slight_smile:

Oh no Judi - you really missed out … it was the best one yet, I was superb and the content was top class!! haha
:wink:

I did squeeze a lot in and everything I presented can (and could / should) be used as a platform for expanding outwards in many directions so yes, it could be the work (and enjoyment) of a lengthy period ahead.

Thanks for the donation too.

It would be lovely to know how you get on with them. :slight_smile:

Was it the difficulty level - set too high? The chords or the picking patterns?
I hope the follow up resources allow you to access it at your own pace with success. Just ask if you need further input etc.

1 Like

I liked this Club a lot. I really enjoy Richards’s lessons and teaching type. I managed to follow up pretty fluently until A shaped barre chords, which in haven’t encountered in my lessons course so far. So 10th harmonics excersise I was not able to follow on-line so I just did fingestyle pattern on other chords. My main focus was on the pattern, that enabels me to excersise more with a thumb. So thumbs up for this Club and also thanks for the Resouces :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks BK. Even if the A-shape barre is beyond your level, I recommend you have a try at the 10th chords - they do not involve any barres, perhaps the major is a little bit stretchy at first, but hopefully all will be manageable after some conscious effort.
You’re right that the pattern can be used and applied elsewhere - that was my hope and intention, that people would take away a pattern and use it however and wherever.

1 Like

Thanks for kind words. I will give it a go :+1:

1 Like

That was a great session Richard. I echo the comments made by others. I like it when you present a solid block of material at a steady pace. Being challenged like this fuels growth. Now to spend an hour on your exercises!

1 Like

Just a thought, I could use a lesson in how to find picking patterns for a song tab/notation. Not transcribing to a finger-style version, it is when I have a beginner tablature for a finger-style song I have a hard time seeing any picking patterns.

1 Like

Welcome back Richard.

1 Like

Hi Richard. Maybe you have thought of this, but I think there would be interest in having some JG Club sessions on fingerstyle that are geared toward intermediate players. Justin’s courses and the clubs so far have covered basic fingerstyle technique and learning a few patterns. I have to think there are others like me who have the basics more or less down and want to make fingerstyle music. Maybe a session on creating a simple song from patterns, or learning a classic fingerstyle song. Thanks for all you do!

Hi Michael. Thanks for the comments and suggestion.
Did you attend / have you watched the recording of the most recent club?
We moved towards more complex technique and applied to a ‘song’ I called Dusty Wind. :slight_smile:

Yes, I attended. Most of the lesson was very elementary stuff - useful but much of it a refresher on basics. I’m suggesting something more advanced, assuming the students have some minimum ability to play fingerstyle. Of course like everything with guitar, keep practicing and you’ll get where you’re going…

1 Like

Using my noggin, I found that Justin’s Songs catalog has a filter for fingerstyle, so I will poke around there. Probably above my level yet, but I’ll give them a go! I have been teaching myself Behind Blue Eyes, both strummed and fingerstyle. That perhaps will be my first AVOYP.

1 Like