Vintage Club #10 with Richard | Fingerstyle Part 2

Hey folks :wave:

Richard is back for a Vintage Club #10 on Fingerstyle next Monday! Register for it on the Clubs page. :slight_smile:

Lesson prep available here!

3 Likes

Hey Fanny,
just tried the link, which leads to the website / Vintage Club # 10, which is ok, in the text under the title I find:
ā€œAlso, access all TAB in pdf format (including options to play Canon-ish in C with Fmaj7) and all mp3 tracks here.ā€
When clicking ā€œhereā€ it takes me to Dropbox and I get a notification ā€œthe folder vintage club doesnā€™t existā€ (translated). Am I missing something?

I wont miss this one :slight_smile:

@Helen0609
Thank you for the heads up.
I will fix it tomorrow.
The link leads to the resources shared from Club 7 so nothing new, just a sweep for people who missed it.
The link to tab and mp3 is in the Learn More of club 7 plus the resources are under the Resouces button.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks Richard, I thought youā€™ve already posted some additional prep.
Looking forward to Monday!

Can you see if it works now please @Helen0609

1 Like

Works fine for me, Richard, leads me to the files of #7, which I couldnā€™t see yesterday.
:+1:

1 Like

@Richard_close2u Going to take a rain check on this one but look forward to seeing the post club material. All sounds similar to the techniques Iā€™ve been using on my Solo Blues journey and those 4/4 patterns have been in the practice schedule for a while. See you at #11.

:sunglasses:

Going live in a few minutes
:slight_smile:
Launch Meeting - Zoom (Passcode: 123)

Enjoyed last nightā€™s club. I play fingerstyle frequently but it showed me Iā€™ve been neglecting some base patterns and always going to the others - the same as having ā€œpet licksā€ in the blues I suppose. Plus harmonizing the scale in 10ths, really useful.

I want to share something with you all that Iā€™ve found incredibly helpful recently, and I think other older players, or anyone putting in serious practice time , might too:

In Joe Robinsonā€™s club back in Feb he demoed the hand stretches he does before playing. Iā€™d been getting a bit of elbow tendon soreness adopting those moves helped straightaway with reducing that inflammation.
So, subsequently Iā€™ve taken it a bit further, and found some good online advice from a osteo / trainer, (plus a couple of stretches from my wifeā€™s yoga teacher)
Now, every day I do a set of simple strength exercises and a set of stretching for arms, fingers, shoulders. They are designed for guitarists. I didnā€™t realise there was a difference between stretching and strength before either!!
Most of the stretching is supposed to be done after a long practice session, with a bit of a warm up before.
Combined with a quick vocal warm up, and a couple of minutes of brain plasticity (the standing on one leg thing with eyes closed. Iā€™m a complete convert to this. See Justinā€™s lesson on it if youā€™ve missed this )

Whole thing only takes a few minutes, but the positivity and focus it has put into my practice time is amazing!

4 Likes

Yesterdayā€™s Club Session was fantastic, Richard. I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the pinch on 1 and 3, great element to add to my still very basic patterns.
Iā€™m looking forward to dive deeper and add this to my practice schedule! You are a gifted teacher! (Funny to write this, as Gift means poison in German :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Oh. Err. :astonished:
Haha. :laughing:
A little like the ā€˜poisoned chaliceā€™ in Macbeth?

1 Like

:laughing: Just a compliment, no ulterior motives, no poisoned chalices :joy:.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard! I was happy to be able to participate in a class, finally! I appreciate your organized and straightforward approach. Even though I would like to think I have been playing a little more advanced finger style than the course, it was really helpful and encourages me to be more mindful of how I approach the technique, as well as some nice ideas on harmonizing and using the fretboard.

And no poison from me!

1 Like

Arggh. I may have overdone it yesterday :woozy_face::woozy_face:
Anyone got a spare bottle of liniment and a tube of deep heat?

1 Like

Used mine up, sorry.

1 Like

Great suggestion on proper stretching @Eccleshall. I try to remember to do some hand and forearm stretching, but it is kind of like flossing your teeth. You know it is good for you, butā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a game changer for me, and I honestly canā€™t now imagine not doing them.
You could try doing some stretches immediately you finish playing. This a is a good slot. Doing that feels great because it demonstrates how tensed up everything can get when itā€™s being worked, and also the differences between the two side of your body, because guitar playing involves quite a bit of asymmetry
Taking care of the shoulders and neck matters too ( thereā€™s a lot going on in there) ā€¦

1 Like

ANNOUNCEMENT

Resources document is now available in the Archive here.

The document includes clickable links to four mp3 tracks.

Enjoy.

Any questions just ask.

And keep the conversation going! :slight_smile: It is great to have tips such as Ruaridh has given and other comment too.

It would be great to see some Club related AVOYP :wink:

3 Likes

Holy moly, this is amazing @Richard_close2u. I had to miss this Club, but it appears you covered enough content in one hour to keep me busy for a year! Thank you. My next stop - making (another) donation. :smiling_face:

1 Like