Vox Mini Go 50 - Need for honest opinions

Hey yā€™all!

Iā€™m planning to start busking and realised that I need a battery operated amp.

I did plenty of research, tried hard to stay within budget (didnā€™t happen :joy:) and found out the vox Mini Go series.
I initially went for the mini go 10, but the music store owner warned me that a 10-watt amp wouldnā€™t do the trick for the streets with an electric guitar plus a mic plugged in.
He advised me to level up the game with the 50-watt model and Iā€™d like your input:

• Will 50 watts do the trick for street performances and small gigs (eg coffee shops etc)?
  • Is there any other option that doesnā€™t exceed the already extended budget of 300ā‚¬?
  • Will the built-in effects (including a looper) support my journey? Is it better / more affordable to buy separate pedals? (Note that there is a foot switch available with an additional 50ā‚¬)
  • Any advice with the whole battery thing? This one does not use separate batteries but a power bank. Is that a pro or a con?

Hereā€™s the link of the amp in case someone likes to check it out more
https://voxamps.com/product/mini-go-50/

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Hi Helen,
I have no idea about those amplifiers, ā€¦ but before you forget I want to point out an equally important thing, ā€¦ check if there is a camera on your phone, right? because of course you have to record this,ā€¦and if itā€™s recorded well,ā€¦thennnnā€¦ :joy:
How great that you are going to do this, super cool, :clap: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: and a very good step in your music careerā€¦
Greetings,Rogier

Thanks for the support, Iā€™ll make sure I upload sth here when we finally get around to do this!

Helen- I have a Roland KC-110 PA that can run on batteries. I think itā€™s 10W and the advice you were given by the store is true. You need a lot of power in open air. This amp runs on normal batteries but it will chew them up so you wonā€™t get a lot of playing time- especially at full volume. You donā€™t say whether youā€™re going to play electric or acoustic which will make a difference. Since youā€™re looking for pedals, Iā€™ll assume electric. My recommendation is to buy something you can plug a rechargeable power brick into. If itā€™s 12V, you could use a motorcycle battery that can be recharged by a car battery charger. Didnā€™t the store recommend something?

I think the PA is a good choice over a ā€œguitarā€ amp because PAs usually have a mixer and you can plug several instruments into them. The one I have has a mic input and two instrument inputs. This may be something else to consider in case you find a friend that wants to busk with you.

A 50W amp at 12V requires roughly a 4 amp power source which is pretty hefty. I looked up a motorcycly battery and theyā€™re rated at 10amphour. If you were drawing all 4 amps youā€™d get less than three hours out of this type of battery. Amps donā€™t draw as much power if they arenā€™t ā€œamplifyingā€ anything so itā€™ll likely last a lot longer. These batteries are heavy and cost up wards of $100 (youā€™ll have to do the currency conversion). If you go this route, youā€™ll also need a cable made up. I would hope some commercial amp company would have a ā€œrigā€ for exactly what you need.

Hope any of this helped. Good luck with your performances.

Phil

1 Like

Interesting info and,yes, quite helpful:) Thanks!

Also, welcome to the community!

Check the alternatives as well.

My Roland Street Cube can be powered by 6 AA batteries or similar battery pack.
I did a 3h busking session and I could go more than loud enough in a shopping street with people. It still had battery power left.
It has an excellent clean sound and 2 combo plugins, both serving jacks as xlr for mics. (The vox only does jacks). It has seperate delay/reverb controls for your vocal and guitar channel and it also has some other effect/amp models. I use it as a little PA as well.

The built in distortions are meh but so are those on that Vox, all too brittle and edgy.
I use this amp all the time for practicing the electrig guitar songs from my solo gig set.

If you are going to amplify vocals with a standard mic and electro-acoustic guitar, Iā€™d seriously consider a (secondhand) Roland product. Their clean sounds and often built in delay/verbs get me real far!

Thank you! I generally think that Roland is the most popular amp for buskers, but it exceeds my financial capabilities at the moment. I play the electric, btw, I donā€™t know if that changes stuff a bit. Either way, Iā€™ll do a bit more research!

1 Like

What did you go with and how is it working out for you? Im looking to get a mini-10 and lapel mic just for hanging out.