Was gifted a recording session! What to play?

So it’s my birthday today and my husband Dan surprised me with a voucher to have one song professionally mixed, recorded and mastered at a local music studio! :scream_cat:

Apparently, we will be going to tour the studio first and get questions answered and then we will schedule the time to do the recording.

I am super excited to do this, but it does bring up a question in my mind. As someone who enjoys and is perfectly happy playing covers, I have not yet attempted to write any original material. Do you think it would be better to attempt an original piece for this opportunity, or would it be better to stick to something I really know and love? I could also try to put a new spin on something I already know, but then I think if I do that, I may as well attempt an original :laughing:

Dan will be stoked that I am even asking this question as he has been wanting to write originals for a while and always tries to convince me that I will have fun with it. It has never really been my goal to write my own stuff. I think I am always afraid of it sounding totally amateurish :laughing:

Anyway, I am just rambling at this point, but I would love to hear some thoughts.

12 Likes

Wow what a great gift. If it were me I would go for an original song as how cool would it be to have your own original song professionally recorded. Whatever you do I hope you enjoy the experience and please share the finished product with us!

2 Likes

Hi Jen, happy birthday :birthday: :partying_face: :tada: what a fantastic present you’ve been given. The fact that you’re even asking the question says to me go for it… just think the output will be a perfectly recorded memory capturing the first song you and dan wrote… how cool is that… you could always practice one of you’re favourite cover songs that you treasure as a backup in case you have a change of heart which I doubt very much.

2 Likes

Happy birthay, Jenn! Wish you all the best! :partying_face: :bouquet: :sunflower:

What an awesome gift from Dan! :star_struck: So happy for you.

I would also opt for the original, if I were in your shoes. Cool thing is, you can do all the process together with Dan and I bet, you’ll make an amazing creative duo on the songwriting front as well. :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, in case you go for a cover, it will also be a fun, overwhelming and memorable event! Plus: Nobody ever mentioned your first session will be your last. :wink:

And I’d like to echo what Eddie says: If you don’t mind, please share the outcome with us. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Jennifer, happy birthday :birthday: :balloon: :tulip: :smiley:
This sounds like fun! As an alternative, in case for some reason recording an original song would not work out, you could use public domain music or a song that is not copyrighted anymore. To create unique interpretations without possible restrictions. Just as an other possibility. Have fun! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, that was my thinking as well. I will definitely share the recording with the community when it is done :grinning:

Thank you!! It’s an amazing gift and I want to make the most of it :grinning: I think I am leaning towards going the original route

1 Like

Thank you! An original seems to be the consensus so far :grinning: We may just go for it! Dan always seems to be always be thinking of song ideas, so he’s excited to see what kind of song we could write together. And yes, I will make sure to share it when it’s done :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much and thank you for the suggestion! That’s a good idea if we end up going the cover route :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Great to see you’re up to try for the original!

Sorry, I forgot one thing: In case you missed, a few days back I wrapped up some take-aways from a songwriting workshop I attended end of last year:

Maybe you find some helpful things in it. :smiley:

Already looking forward to the result! :smiley:

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you! I’ll take a look :grinning: Good timing :wink:

2 Likes

What an awesome gift! And happy birthday to you!! I also think an original song would be the way to go, if you get one you’re happy with. Have fun writing and recording!

1 Like

My initial reaction was “Go with the song you know and love (and can play really well)” but then I saw:

and that made me think, “Yeah, if I’ve got a professionally made recording, I don’t want to run into copyright problems because I’m going to have that sucker on soundcloud, spotify, anywhere I can get it played”

So my only question is, how long have you got? If you’ve got strictly limited time then you might have to go for something public domain (but hey, there’s plenty of blues classics you can arrange to suit yourself) Is there a reasonably long expiry (like 12 months+) or better yet, no expiry, on your voucher? if so then you’ve got no time pressure and can afford to write, arrange and rehearse your own song.

In either case, go for it, baby :grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JENNIFER!!! :smiley: :partying_face: :tada: :bouquet: :birthday:

Hope you’re having an amazing day! :hugs:

And what a unique, cool present from Dan?! (Nice work buddy! :sunglasses: :+1: )

Well, what to play? :thinking: Your covers are awesome and I know you’d nail one of those to sound great :smiley: But an original… well that would be even better still :wink: Perhaps this is the time to dip your toes into that a little? Like you said, Dan’s been itching to do one for quite a while :joy: I think you guys would come up with something super cool :sunglasses:

What an exciting prospect! Can’t wait to see what you create :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awsome!!!
Go original!! :metal:

Happy B-day!!! :partying_face:

1 Like

Happy Birthday Jenn. What a great gift. What ever you decide to record make sure you are prepared and know what you want to play. The producer will bring out the best in you only if you’re prepared. Don’t forget to have fun and enjoy the experience.

2 Likes

Thanks Mari! I think I’m strongly leaning towards an original :grinning:

I checked with Dan and there is no time limit, so good news for us. I don’t want to take a super long time writing something, but I also want to take enough time that I will be happy recording it. I like the idea of having something public domain as backup :+1:

1 Like

That is a super cool gift.

As to what to record - I think you should reflect yourself on what you love doing on guitar, listening to and playing the most.

I know you’ve said quite a bit you like playing covers all the time. And that is OK! In fact, more than OK. There are loads of great covers out there, in so many cases the cover ends up better known than the original. Loads of really good artists put covers of other band’s songs on their albums. You could do a cover and change it to be your style.

Originals are cool. Do you have the inclination and desire to write an original? Would it be fun, or a chore? If fun, go for it. If a chore… why would you do it?

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time doing it.

2 Likes

Thank you Jeff!

I told Dan I was considering the idea of an original, so I know what he will be doing this weekend :laughing: he says he already has the beginnings of 4 songs in his head that he wants to run by me :laughing:

I know it will be a great experience either way and I’m excited to see how it turns out!

5 Likes

Happy birthday afterwards, Jenn , :birthday: :birthday::birthday: What a great gift!!

Looking forward to listening to your professionally recorded original one day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like