Washburn Guitars

I thinking of buying a Washburn apprentice. The G70ce or the G40ce what’s your thoughts? I am still a beginner and I am leaning towards the G40.

Hi Mark.
Choosing guitars is a difficult task. And almost impossible if you buy them without trying… a guitar that i love both the sound and playabillity on does not necessarily be something you like and vice versa…
My point is that you should try them out if you have the opportunity.

Dont know much about Washburn, but both seems like fine guitars that on paper should serve you well for many years.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice

Hi Mark, at the Sub £300 price point Washburn make some nice guitars but so do Ibanez, Alvarez and Tanglewood.
If you can handle one a Dreadnaught size is good, if not Grand Auditorium, Concert, OOO sizes may be more suitable. You really need to go and try some for size, it’s important that you gel with your guitar, it makes the difference between learning and giving up!
If you can’t get to a music shop and want to buy online then knowing how big or small you are would help a great deal. I’m 5’6”, and a bit of a chunk - I can’t play a Dreadnaught of Grand Auditorium, I play a OOO which is a similar size to a classical guitar. It’s a lot easier with electric guitars :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for advice. I am 6ft and a little over weight I have a Tanglewood crossroads o but I am looking for something else as it not quite right I can’t put my finger on what’s wrong

1 Like

In that case you should be able to handle a Grand Auditorium upwards, maybe even a Jumbo!
What you will get compared to a smaller guitar is a much more mellow sound plus it will resonate more - you will feel it more while playing it.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. what gauge string would you recommend for a beginner?

1 Like

Whatever you feel comfortable with, really. The advantage of lighter strings is that they are easier to bend.

1 Like

Easier to push down in general, also. For me, lighter strings are just easier to play. Some people prefer the tone of heavier strings, but for me ease of play is more important than tone.

At one point I switched from 12s to 10s and it felt great.

2 Likes

That’s true. Sometimes I have the opposite idea, going from 10s to 11s or 12s on my electric so that if I play fingerstyle, it would feel closer to my acoustic.

1 Like

Yes, closer to your acoustic where bending is a nightmare! :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve got .12-.53 strings on my acoustic, and the semitone bend isn’t very difficult. But yeah, bending is not something I usually do in an acoustic setting.

1 Like

I would go for 11’s or 12’s
Bear it in mind depending on how your guitar reacts the the new strings it may need some adjustment(s).

1 Like