Welcome to the Strumming Foundations Course!

Hi, I’m Mark, I’m 55 and I’ve been working through the beginners course for a couple of months (just about to hit the F chord next week).

Many years ago in my teens I played bass in a band and rhythm was always pretty easy playing along with a decent drummer. I was never much of a musician but I picked up a few things from my (much more talented) band mates which helped. What has surprised me with taking up guitar is that whilst my picking and dexterity is reasonably good for a beginner I now cannot keep time to save my life. This was a bit of a surprise to discover so my aim with this course is to really try and nail the fundamentals of playing in time. Fingers crossed it works!

Taught myself guitar back when I was 18. Learned some picking, never strumming, though. Played here and there, then the past 10 years, very little. So picked up a Taylor, and want to finally (at the age of 68) actually study the guitar. Study, practice, devote time. Never have felt comfortable with strumming. I know it’s a matter of the right techniques, and practice – and teaching. So … here goes! Feel fortunate to come across Justin. He’s quite the cool soul, obviously made a positive difference in many thousands of lives. It’s funny when people sort of balk at the price of some courses. $39 (current price, I think) is less than the cost of sitting with someone for an hour. Excited to get better at this stuff!

For me… I always find that my first finger rubs over the strings before the pick hits them on the down strums… and I have tried to avoid this… the problem is… if i slide my first finger back slightly i lose control of the pick or it then sticks too far out from under my thumb and it makes a terrible clicking sound… anyone else have this? or is it normal :slight_smile: ?

Does anyone know the brand/model of guitar Justin is using in this course?

I am just wondering if the Strumming Foundations Course is the same as the one that comes with the App. I have gone through the one on the App and it looks nearly the same as the Strumming Foundations Course, just maybe missing a couple of modules such as what to practice.

I am planning on continuing with Strumming Dynamics and Finger Strumming and would like to know if I should purchase the complete bundle or just Dynamics and Finger Strumming.

Tony

I’m going to invest in the Strumming SOS bundle today. I’ve completed Grade 1 of lessons and Grade 1 of Practical Music Theory. I’m ready to progress to Grade 2 EXCEPT my rhythm and timing aren’t good enough. I struggle keeping a consistent rhythm in time with the beat. I tend to get too fast. I struggle to hear the drums when I’m playing. I need a better internal metronome. Anyway, it seems like investing in Strumming SOS is a good idea to strengthen my guitar foundation.

Hello, I am in the strumming course. Need to get practice in the rhythm aspect of playing. Noticed I sometimes lose the beat. I have a couple questions for anyone…1. The hand holding the pick, should the hand be sort of in a fist or open with finger spread out…all the time using the thumb and pointer finger to hold the pick??? Seems that Justin prefers the fist. 2. Would a Beat Buddy pedal do as well as a metranome?
thanks to all replies. Paul Miller