Welcome to the Strumming Foundations Course!

Build a strong rhythm foundation to develop your strumming skills!

3 Likes

I’m James. I’m a 59-year-old relative beginner (about a year and a half). I am also taking in-person bass guitar lessons. I want to develop a confident time feel.

5 Likes

Thought I would just introduce myself for this category.

I am not new to the community or Justin’s lesson, and have just started grade 2. Although I can play OF and 3 or 4 other strumming patterns I have not been satisfied with the quality of my strumming. I decided a while ago that I would revisit some of the earlier lessons but then I became aware of this course becoming available so decided to wait.

Just signed up, let’s see how it goes.

Michael :guitar:

3 Likes

James @jimmymac1066
Welcome to the community.
I will be interested to see how you get on with this course, as you will see I have signed up as well.
Michael

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
I’ve been a member of the community for a couple years now; my covid project!
I’m a young 80 years and know this learning is good for me physically as well as for my soul. I’m trying to become “musical” and it is quite a journey, it is fun and rewarding. Not so much for my wife, but for me!
Best regards everyone.

4 Likes

Hello, Everyone!

I’m pretty much a beginning guitar player, but am having so much fun, I’m 67 years old and am just having a blast with it!

Doug

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Bill. Just turned 72 a month ago. I’ve been playing for a number of years but I figured a refresher course in strumming would be a good idea. Just started and found out I was holding my pick wrong. That’s worth the investment right there. Can’t wait to get more into the meat of the course.

Wishing everyone the best.

3 Likes

I’m Tom, 79, and just started play a couple year ago. I can play a few songs but really need rhythm, so very glad to find these lessons. Do you have a lesson on how to use your metronome app? That would help a lot.

3 Likes

Tom @1VanDorn
Welcome to the community. :grinning:
If you have got the strumming course which I think you have then the metronome is covered in about lesson 10.
Michael

1 Like

It dose mention the metronome but it does not give much detail about how to use your metronome.

1 Like

Tom @1VanDorn
Can you clarify what you think you missing and I will see if I can help.
Michael

1 Like

This course will help me with the metronome for sure.
Was definitely no mistake to order the course

1 Like

Hy Justin
i am 56 and started guitar roughly 4 years ago.
Friends tell me i play quite good, i still consider myself as a beginner.
i already did the beginners course with your app some time ago.
i am forced to play lefthanded due to finger problems and still have huge problems to play
with a pick, especially up strums. (thumb is
ok but not the same)
this causes me a big motivation problem,
as I think that this is the basis for everything as
to my music preferences.
My problem is not the rythm, it is the security and smoothness on the strings. .
It is as if you are using the car breaks with your left foot.
so i hope that this course brings me foward.
kind regards
Holger

2 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Jaime. Happy to be along on this journey. :blush:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I’m Nick. I’m 57 years old and have been playing guitar for quite a few years. I decided to take this course because I’ve always struggled with keeping good time and consistency. Even when I know I’m in-time, I often feel I’ve lost the groove, so hopefully this course will give me some pointers on how to improve in those areas.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi! My name is Beth, I’m 51 and began acoustic guitar a year and a half ago…with Justin! Before I even came close to mastering strumming and rhythm guitar, I veered off into fingerstyle, which I still adore. However, I sing too, and want to just have that “in the pocket” basic strumming thing going on as well, so I bought this course to finally hunker down and get great at it. I hope module 2 and 3 arrive soon because I imagine I will be done with module 1 in a few weeks…:-). I joined a fiddle ensemble and will need to be playing rhythm.

2 Likes

I picked up the course yesterday. I’m looking forward to seeing my progress, I’ll add this in at the start of my next week practice.

1 Like

Hi, Erik from the Netherlands here. As a child played classic guitar till volleyball career took over my fingers. Now, 40 yrs later at 54 started from scratch. Even if some stuff was still there deep down in my brain. So Beginners Grade 1 done in 3 weeks. The art of strumming seems so fundamental so therefor jumping in here.

1 Like

Ok here we go…
I have been learning guitar for 3 decades on and off now (non stop intensely for the last 2 years now) but i still cannot play anything mainly because my rhythm is absolute trash.
So if this course is going to work for me it will work for anyone
Keep you updated…

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community
@jimmymac1066
@Dougdn
@1VanDorn
@Nienhaus
@Blackstar_2691
@Erik111
@Willemguitar

Bass & Drums are the heart of the rhythm section, I’m sure you will benefit greatly from this course. Good luck James. :slight_smile:

I hope you get what you need Michael. :slight_smile:

Strumming is akin to dancing, with rhythm you want to have the movement and groove within your body. Never to old to move it and groove it Brian! :slight_smile:

Doug, if you need any help as you progress through the beginner course, or here, just ask. :slight_smile:

Breaking bad habits that can limit technique development is hard to do - kudos to you for the recognition and moves to improve. :slight_smile:

Tom, at its most fundamental level, the guitar is a rhythmic instrument. It also happens to have additional opportunities for harmonic and melodic play (chords and notes) but if those are played without rhythm then they won’t sound satisfying. Good luck with it. :slight_smile:

And hopefully your ability to play along with drum tracks, any rhythm, any backing track and song. :wink:

I am wondering if you are swinging in an arc whose plane of movement is causing you to snag the pick on the way up, for the pick to be hitting at the wrong angle and digging in too deep on the strings to allow easy, gliding up strums. :slight_smile:

I hope you get into the groove - literally - Nicholas. :slight_smile:

That is a truly vital and fundamental skill Beth - good luck with it. :slight_smile:

I wish you luck in this WIllem. Ask for any support you may need. It may be that you could share a video recording of your rhythm in the community to get some help and advice and encouragement. :slight_smile:

1 Like