Welp it was fun!

Certainly a knee jerk reaction, lol. I’ve had plenty of those in my life as well though as I’m sure we all have done. I wouldn’t beat myself up about it.

I dont know though… I just feel like all this is my fault for having to reorganize everything… SInce ive read a few posts…

If this were just about 1 person, the mods wouldn’t change the policy for the whole forum. They’d contact you directly only and ask for you to post less.

This is actually a good problem to have. It’s growing pains resulting from the awesome success and influx of new people to the forum. The mods are taking steps to manage it so that it stays sustainable and this place continues to be as great of a place that it already is. I wouldn’t overthink it.

I probably need lessons too, as my link to the topic seems to expand more than other people’s.

Hi Bytron,

I can’t comment further on what Richard said, not in the loop there.

As per Toby’s reference there has been some general chat around the high level of activity in AVOYP and what we could consider doing to improve the experience.

One of the things we have started to explore is the use of tagging. You’ll notice that your Topics in AVOYP are now tagged with your User Name. Currently you don’t have to do anything different as the Mods are adding the tags to a new Topic when we see one has been posted. We think this may help people to identify who posted Topics, especially when accessing with a phone, and also improve ability to search for Topics.

One of the other ideas being considered is for the use of a single Topic when posting multiple songs in a period, say one month. You could consider the first ost in the Topic to be like an index and then add songs as replies throughout the month. All users have been granted the ability to edit the first post indefinitely, which means you can add links in that first post to each reply that contains a song.

Hope that makes sense. As I say, as far as I know that is still an idea under discussion. As a team we are considering user needs and experience and what may help all to have a better experience.

In the meanwhile, you probably noticed that Richard went back and aggregated a number of individual song Topics from a single member in a month into a single consolidated Topic. I know he did this for you and a copuple of other people who post regularly. Maybe this is what he was talkin g to you about?

The intention is certainly not drive anybody away and as you’ll see in the Topic Toby referenced there are lots of different views and opinions.

And certainly not your fault. This is a result of the growth of the Community since the integration of the old Forum with the platform that was used to support discussion on the JG website. We have many more active members now, which is good, and many more people sharing recordings, which is good. Just more recordings means many more Topics in AVOYP and lots more replies, so the views of posts in AVOYP can get quite busy, generating a high volume of unread Topics, and changing the order in which Topics appear.

So one can post a new Topic in AVOYP today, come back in a couple of days, and the Topic is no longer visible when you first access AVOYP. You may have to scroll way down the page due to the number of new Topics or replies to existing Topics.

hence the need to reflect on things and if necessary introduce some new things, like the tagging, to try to improve the experience.

Hope that clears it all up and that you’ll not be heading off to find those greener pastures.

I also hope in the new year you’ll be able to join in and perform at a Community Open Mic.

1 Like

@Bytron08 I hope this is just a misunderstanding as I enjoy listening to your songs so I hope you do continue here.

I’m on the fence on this issue, as I’m not much for group think, and not a fan of the consolidated posts. I’m more put off by all of the unlisted tracks and would like to see those separated out in some shape or form. Now that I know to post one clip a month I will bear that in mind and post on the 1st of every month. Interest in my videos has been waning here for some time, so I can abide by this rule without any push back.

@Bytron08, I’ve never put all my eggs into one basket when it comes to online guitar boards. There are plenty of good ones out there and for the most part players are universally cool. Shop around and do drop by and say hello here once in a while – or maybe I will bump into you elsewhere. :slight_smile:

Clint, as far as I know there is no such rule yet (maybe I missed an Announcement). Just ideas and thoughts being tossed around.

Richard also mentioend the option to filter your view in another post. That was intended to present in chornological order within a set time period the Topics based on the date they were created. But it may not be working as expected.

For transparency and clarity.

I have been doing some editing - anyone who visits the community sections will have sen that and maybe taken part in the two discussions around AVOYP.

I did send @Bytron08 a personal message- the first of several people I intend contacting on a personal level to ensure they understood what I was doing, the ratinoale behind it and to keep them informed of the fact that the mods are discussing how to manage AVOYP in the coming year, should the popularity and volume of topics continue increasing. I wrote an 800+ word message detailing in full and what I thought was a clear way some of our thoughts.
I did not state that he can only post one song per month, nor post to express himself. I did mention that people have the complaint that AVOYP is so busy they find it hard to cope and some have opted out from visiting.

My message was private so I will not share it here but I have shared it with @DavidP and @LievenDV

4 Likes

Like Mr B, I prefer not to have my posts consolidated for any reason. No one anywhere does this sort of thing. When someone flood posts on any other message board they just get ignored. I love this place a lot, but I love other places and things as well.

I too have trouble coping with the deluge. What I won’t do is listen to or comment on an unlisted track. It sends the message that you want to play to an exclusive group and do not want the general public to hear you play. I am the general public. Separate out the unlisted tracks and I will be better at managing the new AVoYP load. That’s my ask.

Sorry Clint what do you mean by Unlisted Track ? One that is not Public on YouTube ?

Thanks Clint, appreciate you sharing your perspective, providing the feedback. No changes to the way we do things, so no reason to fall out of love, keep doing what you do.

I’m closing this topic.
It was based on a misunderstanding and has continued based on a misrepresentation of a message I sent.
We have another topic to discuss the wider AVOYP and the mods are meeting next week with this on the agenda.

1 Like