(What a) Wonderful World - Cover

The quality of the community videos has been so good lately that it’s high time to bring it down :smiley:

I had meant to upload a song in a few weeks or so. But then @TheMadman_tobyjenner had asked for a song, so did @Rmking60@Kris_Meen had commented on old videos. That really got me thinking whether there is any progress at all…

So…

Here is song 2 of my five Grade 1 graduation songs. My husband has literally been begging me to finally sing and play something else. So perhaps, I have to accept that this is as good as it gets for now… I can play this song with my eyes closed - doesn’t look as attractive on video - taking of my glasses does the same trick however.

It’s not flawless - far from it in fact. But for now, for today I’m really happy with the finished result. I had been thinking a lot about about @CT 's comments about unlisted videos… Thus this is the first one I dare to post publically on YouTube, and I hope to continue doing so from now on. Recorded with my phone. At some point in the coming years I hope to record with better tec. :slightly_smiling_face:

Aah… YouTube has found copyrighted content - but that’s normal I guess? :smiley:

EDIT:
A huge sorry to everyone, who had to suffer through this “strange angle video” from yesterday. It was in the middle of the night, when I uploaded it, and I didn’t understand that the angle can actually quite easily be changed with Google Photos. Now corrected (… and yes, I know that I have to tame my pinky, that will surely happen with time) :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

And you’ve every right to be. Singing and playing at the same time is quite an achievement for grade 1, especially singing in tune and without going wildly flat. Well done!

I’d be disappointed if I posted a cover video and the algorithm didn’t recognise the melody! 99% of the time it just means you can’t monetise your video

1 Like

Congratulations!!

1 Like

That was lovely Nicole, brought back many memories. You have a lovely soft tone to your voice that works really well with that song too.

1 Like

@JokuMuu that sounds wonderful!! Well done!! You couldn’t really claim to be bringing the quality of recent community videos
down with that post.
Being able to play something with your eyes closed is exactly where you want to get Nicole, seriously. And as @theoldman66 said singing and playing in time on your Grad1 graduation is nothing to sneeze at. Sounds wonderul and we’re looking forward to hearing more

1 Like

@theoldman66 @afpriest2007 @jgottwals @mathsjunky

Thank you so much :slightly_smiling_face: There is lots of work to be done. But given that I had been letting work get the better of me after August and that I only started playing again this month… Given that only now I seem to have found a way how I can practice consistently every day… Given all that: Yes, I’m happy :blush:. There were better recordings. Especially one where I managed to sneak in the Dsus4 at the end of the bridge much more smoothly then in the uploaded video. But these versions tended to include mixed up lyrics and (or) random expletives. So it is what it is :sunglasses:

@mathsjunky Paul, I’m happy that you picked up on the tone of my voice. That’s what I was going for. Sam Cooke was surely one of the last century’s best singers. There is no way that I would even try to attempt singing this song like him.

1 Like

I definitely didn’t sound that good nor my chord changes were that smooth at the end of grade 1. And I still can’t sing at all. :smiley: That was lovely Nicole!

1 Like

@JokuMuu Hi Nicole

I think you have created something to be very proud of, despite some of your protestations !
The guitar tone sounded sweet and you kept a solid rhythm going from end to end. All the hallmarks of getting to the end of Grade 1 and starting to build that strong foundation, we all need.

And then you go and sing along as well ! That is a great achievement so early in your playing career, it took me decades, literally. Your singing was relaxed and didn’t upset your rhythm, so it was an all round solid performance. And perfect for a laid back Sunday morning.

Well done and congrats !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Congrats Nicole!!
That was great and a huge progression from the first vid you had! Well done!! :clap:
Guitar tone was nice. Vocal was great. and youre strumming and rythm was awsome!! I think you are doing great Nicole. Keep the mysic flow through that livly Godin!!! :grin:

2 Likes

Well well well…
Where to start Nicole… :thinking:

Fortunately, there is more than enough absolute beginner work… and no one in grade 1 or 2 or even grade 3 should worry about people who have been playing for years…better said, never look at others (although I sometimes do that myself :grimacing: )

Well there is some progress … :grin: :scream:…Amazing :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bouquet:
Your playing and singing together were really great … a big step up :smiley:

:joy: …I have a woman sitting next to me who is also almost completely blind without her glasses…Can be quite funny sometimes :roll_eyes:

No wifi yesterday most of the day so :sweat_smile::grin:

I think I’m out of quote`s … and otherwise I will irritate even myself :grin:

This was a Wonderful perform and only by practicing long and hard it will be like this so…(the last one :blush:)

…suck it up spouse (S :grimacing:), she does this for us :joy: :rofl::innocent:

Greetings,

2 Likes

Finally, you’re back Nicole! :smiley:

Glad you shared another recording with us and what a way to come back after a long break! :+1:

So how long you’ve been working on this tune? If I remember correctly it wasn’t even full two weeks? Given this fact and your long break, this is an amazing outcome you can be very proud of! :clap:

Your rhythm is solid and playing/chord changes were smooth, on top you were singing and seemed so relaxed while doing so. This is a huge achievement for Grade 1. :slight_smile:

So, it’s time to get a few more tunes under your fingers and sneak peak into Grade 2. :wink:

1 Like

Definitely loads of progress! Your strumming and chord changes are so smooth natural now, this only happens after loads of practice - especially being able to sing along with it! And I think you’ve even memorized the words, I’m envious, I can never remember the lyrics!

2 Likes

Video was fine and for the end of grade 1 it was really good, nothing to be unhappy with.

1 Like

@Boris1565 @TheMadman_tobyjenner @tRONd @roger_holland @Lisa_S @Kris_Meen @skinnyt Many thanks to all of you :slightly_smiling_face: I’m beginning to feel that I’m finally - very slowly - progressing.

Thus my again my heartfelt thanks to all of you for helping to confirm that my changed practicing routine does indeed pay off.

@Lisa_S It’s difficult to quantify how much time I invested. My more disciplined practicing started around 14 days ago - I would guess I used approx 40 to 50 hours all in all. Something like 20 to 30 hours might fall into practicing this song - I have not really kept track. This does however also include experimenting with my new amp and practicing common progressions in general.

4 Likes

Great performance @JokuMuu! You managed guitar and singing in parallel in a great way (which at least I find really hard)!

1 Like

… and so you should be proud of your performance, Nicole, I thought it was a solid performance.
Well done … :clap:

1 Like

Well done Nicole. Solid rythym and pretty clean chords too. Great that you’re playing and singing, you seemed pretty relaxed with it all.
The thing I’d suggest is to add a bit more of a dynamic into your strum pattern. Perhaps emphasise beats 2&4 more and emphasise the chord root notes a bit more.
Good stuff and I look forward to the next one.

1 Like

Immediately I got transposed…and I was watching that Belushi movie. You hit right on it! (Plus pls know I use my phone camera for all of my YouTube videos…can’t beat the value, right?!?)
Advice: I say work on the hard chords with fancy names and the intricate runs when you are just noodling around. But when you performing focus first on beat/rhythm,
then lyric. The nuances and special flavor of your homework noodling will, for sure, just kind of bubble out.

You are on your way Nicole and, with every thing you put down, you will advance. And its yours forever…but please share, because I and we all here want to hear you! _R

1 Like

I thought that sounded very nice. Nice solid strumming, and I really liked the tone on your guitar for the song.

1 Like

@andyPlays @Elixir1253 @sairfingers @Rmking60 @Mari63
Many thanks for your positive feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

@sairfingers Finally some input how I can get this better :grinning: I agree, there is work to be done still. While this might be good enough for the stage I’m at now, this song can grow, even if it sounds simple on the surface. I have been thinking exactly about those notes the bass plays in the original. There has to be a way to integrate them into the song even when there is only one guitar playing it. Accordingly, this song will stay on my “songs to work on” list. It will be interesting to check what the song would sound like at the end of grade 2 for example :slightly_smiling_face:

@Rmking60 Robert, you hit the nail right on the head. Obviously Dsus4 isn’t difficult as such, but I hadn’t really integrated it into my practicing. Only when recording I got the idea that it would sound good. And it did… Once or twice. Most often it threw my rhythm a bit just like in the video and I needed to play a few bars that simply don’t belong there. I’m greatful for the advice.

@Mari63 Thanks for commenting on the tone, just like e.g. Toby and Trond have done already. Makes me prouder than it should, because in the end it’s a preset in the Spider. But yes… I chose the tone and the loudness consciously after having experimented with others ( clean settings simply didn’t cut it :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes