What are you currently listening to? 2022

OK so I tried to play this last night and it kicked my bottom haha back to some fingetpicking basicsā€¦

1 Like

A lovely song, Rob. And after watching that the algorithm served me up this, which is just what the doc ordered for a chilly, grey morning ā€¦

3 Likes

What a beautiful song, thatā€™s my new ā€˜Dreamerā€™ song now, Rob.

1 Like

Isnt it nice, busy trying to learn it now!

1 Like

Just took in @Dro_1ā€™s excellent rendition of Layla (unplugged) over in AOVYP which prompted me to have a listen to EC and found this most recent recording ā€¦

2 Likes

Last weekend I was listening to a Gary Moore rendition of Peter Greenā€™s Fleetwood Macā€™s (the original band formed in the late 60s before Buckingham, Nicks, and Rumours) Need Your Love So Bad. That was prompted by my deciding to work on the intro solo using Justinā€™s lesson as part of my focus on developing lead technique and improvisation ability. That kicked off a number of people also having a go at the solo.

That activity has now led to the creating of a new Guitar Challenge topic. For those of you not familiar, the topics in that sub-category are all focused on a specific song or musical challenge. The idea is for anybody and everybody, irrespective of play-grade, to have a go at the challenge and share the results. There are some fun challenges but the sub-category is perhaps not as well visited as AVOYP. Go check it out.

And for those interested in developing their lead technique, it is a wonderful solo to learn, to work on feel and bending. Maybe give that a look and see.

Meanwhile, I thought Iā€™d share the original, a classic from a legend RIP Peter Green

4 Likes

That was the track I used to get to where I did with my version of it; most people donā€™t realise that it was often played on a Strat, mostly during the 1990ā€™s and possibly a bit earlier.

A quick Google reveals that the song was not a Fleetwood Mac original composition but a cover of a Little Willie John song first recorded in 1955. Peter Greenā€™s rendition released in 1968. And then Gary Moore in '95.

No idea when Green switched from a strat to the LP that was famously later owned by Gary Moore.

1 Like

Green-era Fleetwood Mac is pretty enjoyable (Iā€™m not too keen on later iterations of the band). I warmly recommend The Biggest Thing Since Colossus by Otis Spann who was backed by FM on that album. Itā€™s really good stuff.

I found this version of Wish You Were Here just now. I think itā€™s in the Top 5 for Watersā€™ lyrics and the understated arrangement works for the songā€™s advantage:

Heads up from my darling daughter who keeps me rockin n current. Couple of good old modern Southern Rock tracks from Monster Truck. I Likey, ainā€™t all about Skynyrd
:sunglasses:

And an old classic

1 Like

Some banter about time on @TheMadman_tobyjenner latest AVOYP post led me here. Look Sharp was one of my favourite albums circa 1980-82.

Hey @Rossco01 maybe something here for Retrospective to cover, sneaking into your preferred era?

Spiritbox live, great up and coming band!

for some surreal reason, I keep on returning to this :upside_down_face:

Not too surprising, Brian. I can imagine you strumming away on Hagar, accompanied by your backing Trio, and singing this song.

1 Like

Close, but no cigar, Sir
Iā€™m breaking the ā€˜moldā€™, channeling Gilmourā€™s impro-spirit with my Daphne Blue, whilst moving some serious air with my rediscovered Peavey Vypyr (grooving with a pic, no less) :rofl:
Needless to say, such antics shall never be sharedā€¦
Even I have my limits :wink:

1 Like

Well this takes the NYLSB saga full circle, seeing @stitch punted it out as a ā€œlearnerā€. I am now finding clones all over the place. So this evening looking at a new Blues Rhythm course, one of the examples was built on The Allman Brothers Trouble No More, so I dropped into the record collection and found it on the album Gold from 2005 (amongst others) and after a listen to the original started drifting through the album. Second track is Not My Cross To Bear and some Greenie like licks going on there. So knowing Rick heā€™ll appreciate some AB and some vintage footage!

1 Like

Had to pull out the JBL blue tooth give a listen. got me going down an Allmen Brothers :rabbit: :hole:
Hereā€™s some Duane Allman for your fingers to dance to.

1 Like

After listening to Dylan for a few months Iā€™m now onto The Byrds and CSNY (CSN). Iā€™m happy to be stuck in the 60s and 70s :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a current thread elsewhere, posing the question: ā€œWhat do I get?ā€
This triggered an old ā€˜Ohrwurmā€™ from the wonderful Mancunian Buzzcocks.
Iā€™ve almost finished watching Danny Boyleā€™s series on the Sex Pistols and itā€™s an enjoyable romp down memory lane, especially if you only ever had the incomplete jigsaw puzzle as a kid :safety_pin: :sunglasses:
Are you sure we shared the same '70s @Mari63? :rofl:

1 Like

Well Iā€™m pretty sure we both watched The Partridge Family @brianlarsen , so thereā€™s that :rofl:

1 Like