What are you currently playing? (Video games)

Yes, this is one of the issues I have with more modern RPGs. Even the ones with a decent story have nothing but meaningless fetch-quests to do on the side, which gets boring very quickly.

Admittedly all this talk of the Witcher 3 has made me wonder if itā€™s worth another go. The thing that puts me off is that Iā€™d have to start from scratch, because I have no memory of what was happening in the story.

GT3 on a PS2 every couple of years, I dust it down and have another go.
Guess that makes me a ludite but Iā€™d rather be playing my guitars.

Someone bought me Guitar Zero over a decade ago, consigned to loft after maybe 2 minutes.

So not a gamer or a Mason.

:sunglasses:

Yep, thatā€™s exactly what happened to me with FFVII remake. As a kid i loved the original. But the side-questsā€¦ I think iā€™m in the last bit of the game, but i got angry on how artificially they extended the game.

itā€™s a good game, indeed. But you have to be willing to put in the time. Maybe you could start by reading the books, and if you find yourself that you like that world, you can try the game again. Just an idea

Thatā€™s a really good idea actually. How many times have I read a book and wished there was an RPG set in that world? Too many to count. Iā€™ll check them out, thanks!

1 Like

And reading the books are far less hours than the game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Haha, so true! Just looked up my stats, and apparently Iā€™ve spend 88 hours in Witcher 3ā€¦ and finished the first area. Not bad for a game I wasnā€™t too impressed with! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

To be honest the best quests have nothing to do with the books, heart of stone/blood & wine, the mirror guy etc. So much depth to the quests! You can just plow through the main quest but the side quests are so so good.

Oh and then theres Gwentā€¦

I used to sim race, sold my rig a couple of months ago - had a bunch of Fanatec gear. I actually found Assetto Corsa the most similar to IRL motorsport. iRacingā€™s physics are just too harsh.

Witcher - I havenā€™t read the books, didnā€™t play 1 and 2. I had the same experience as you in Witcher 3, got bored in the first area and put it down. Someone convinced me that the first area is a boring tutorial and to get out of it. Tried it again after a year or so and left White Orchard - itā€™s epic. I didnā€™t do many (boring IMHO) fetch side quests. Did most of the story-based ones though, and then both DLCs. Itā€™s really good, best RPG ever made. I played it on the hardest mode as well which made the combat challenging, easy combat was boring (only time I changed the difficulty was for that awful poison toadā€¦ those that know, know).

Itā€™s worth another go if you like RPGs.

2 Likes

I was the same with the witcher 3 I loved it but only got through the first part. I dont know why i didnt continue because it was really good.

Sometimes I find even a really good game can just become a bit tedious if it goes on too long. I take a break from them, and then end up forgetting to back. When I do finally remember, Iā€™m put off by the fact Iā€™ve forgotten half the story up to that point, donā€™t really know what I was doing, and donā€™t feel like starting again. So it getā€™s shelved indefinitely.

(Showing my age with the term ā€œshelvedā€. You canā€™t shelve digital contentā€¦) :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol yeah thats exactly how i am haha. Im bad about jumping from game to game and not finishing. I have been playing alot of hearthstone lately though. Great card game btw!

Iā€™m like that with RDR2

Loved the first, the 2nd looks incredible, but way too much micro management, too slow a pace, too many odd random things

I love the RDR games, to be honest. The first was just brilliant in every way at the time. Iā€™m sad that I can no longer play it, since both my PS3 and XBox 360 are kaput.

The second is also brilliant in many ways, especially the detailed, living world they created. But I found the story rather boring, one of the main protagonists (Dutch) extremely annoying and deserving of a bullet to the face, and the story missions very short and uninspired. Personally it was all the side activities and side missions that saved it for me.

I still play it now and again, to enjoy the game world and mess about with some of the mods that have sprung up for it. (Never had modding in the first one, unfortunately.)

1 Like

I might give it another go one day, played rdr on the 360 so no modding.

It was console only, never had a PC release, so modding was unfortunately impossible.

Yeah RDR2 was another i didnt finish lol.

Iā€™m with you there @jkahn , AC absolutely remains the best physics and sim engine around, the open servers however are sparse nowadays so without signing up for league racing, which I really donā€™t have time for, itā€™s mainly time trialling for me on it.

And of course thatā€™s where iRacing shines with the seasons and well implemented rating system. Youā€™re right with the physics being harsh but you find your method easily enough.

Iā€™m on Fanatec gear also, kind of the de facto brand for the semi-serious fake world driver :wink:

1 Like

Lolā€¦ glad this isnā€™t a gaming community, because youā€™d really have opened a rather toxic can of worms with that statement!! (For the record, no, I donā€™t agree with you!) :laughing:

Could be worse Ross, I could have said BeamNG was top of the pile :rofl:

1 Like

Haha, true, true. :rofl:

But after many years on the staff of a very large racing community, I can tell you that the ā€œbest simā€ debates are the ones that create the biggest, most vicious flame wars in gaming, usually within the first ten posts. Itā€™s one of the reasons I finally quit. I got sick and tired of babysitting people that are incapable of accepting that itā€™s all down to personal preference, and feel the need to attack anyone that doesnā€™t agree with their personal opinions.

Itā€™s like saying Sonic is better than Mario. If you like what it does and the way it does it, then it is. If you donā€™t, then itā€™s not.