What are you currently reading?

Atm iā€™m into the Harry Potter series.(again. :smile:)
Before that i had a long run with Wodehouse, Pratchett and Crighton. Different styles and genres ,but ever so funny and satisfying. Allthough Chrighton is more non fiction ,for most of his works.
The Dune series are very good too. Having read the first 2, iā€™ m going to back for the others. :smile:

1 Like

Currently reading through the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) after having watched the tv show a few years ago.

The first book is quite similar to the tv show, but Iā€™ve heard that later books feature some differences. In any case, I really like the writing style, it reads very easily!

2 Likes

Yordi @Froodooo

I am just about at the end of the fifth book, been a bit of the marathon.
Not watched the TV series so not able to comment on the differences, but I have heard others say that there is, I suppose that is inevitable.
Must confess there are so many secondary characters that I tended to loose track.
Michael :closed_book::closed_book::closed_book::closed_book::closed_book:

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a while since my las fiction book :sweat_smile:.

The latest years Iā€™ve been reading about productivity, personal finances, and computer programming (and books about training my cat :joy:).

But inspired by the food for thought about ā€œThe Music Mapā€ I started a book about the history of Heavy Metal :metal:. And Iā€™m reading again ā€œClean Codeā€ a book about programming.

Now Iā€™m doubting about picking up a book about fitness. A do it at home kind of routine for someone isnā€™t fit :sweat_smile:. I could use any suggestion on this topic

1 Like

about ~20% into Jade City now and it does not disappoint. Itā€™s a fantasy story set in a fictional world that is analogous to post WW2 Asia (City seems to be an amalgamation of many major cities in east asia). Follows a crime family similar to mafia, yakuza, or triads with powers. Really good stuff.

This sounds interesting, whatā€™s the title?

1 Like

Itā€™s a Book in Spanish, the title is ā€œEso no estaba en mi libro de historia del Heavy metalā€ which means more or less ā€œThat was not in my Heavy metal history bookā€. Y have another one but in English. Iā€™ll let you know if is any good :blush::+1:

1 Like

Very mixed feelings with those. I feel my time reading them has been in part a waste, whole books could have been skipped. Whole character stories etc. I might go back if by some miracle the story is resolved in some long awaited final book(s).

Jumped into Lord of the rings at the weekend, long time since I have read it

2 Likes

Cry Wolf by Hans Rosenfeldt.

1 Like

After reading the Cradle series by Will Wight, I got spun off down a huge rabbit hole of Cultivation and Xianxia stories. ā€œI Shall Seal the Heavensā€, ā€œA Will Eternalā€ and so on. From there I got sidetracked into LitRPG and progression fantasy more generally, had a good time with stuff like ā€œMother of Learningā€, ā€œHe Who Fights With Monstersā€, ā€œDungeon Crawler Carlā€.

Now Iā€™m back to more typical western epic fantasy with the ā€œA Pattern of Shadow and Lightā€ series by Melissa McPhail. Itā€™s good, if you like your fantasy big and complicated. Which I do :smiley: ā€œMalazan Book of the Fallenā€ fans should be pretty well set up to enjoy this series (@DavidP)

2 Likes

Have you checked out ā€˜Thomas Covenantā€™ by Stephen R Donaldson? If not and you engage, prepare for a long read, they are incredible books, all nine.

3 Likes

Just started Moby Dick. I know, super classic but Iā€™d never read it and found a cool edition at a second hand bookstore.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of it but now itā€™s on my lists. Iā€™ve read lots of long series including all 30 of Raymond Feists Riftwar cycle so Iā€™m not a afraid of the book count.

Just want you to know David that you reminded me that I havenā€™t read the Death discworld books in a while. Inspired, I went ahead and bought new copies for my collection. I got the covers that match my copy of Small Gods:

3 Likes

Lots of reading going on here! Iā€™ve read quite a few of these series over the years, GoT, Stephen Donaldsonā€™s Thomas Covenant, Feist, First Law Trilogy. Totally agree with @Kasper on Feist, as I got older it got less appealing.

One series (a series of series) I found really good are the Assassinā€™s series from Robin Hobb. Multiple trilogies from different perspectives in the same world. She also wrote the Soldier Son Trilogy, which is also pretty good.

Most recently I read Steven Kingā€™s Dark Tower series. Kind of a blend of fantasy & sci fi. Some parts were really good, others it dragged a bit. As seems typical. Iā€™d like to say Iā€™m reading the wheel of time series now. Having another go at it after I put it down part way through years ago. Although Iā€™m honestly not really reading it, Iā€™m on book 2 and itā€™s a bit slow. Takes a lot of effort to read in parts so itā€™s not super compelling.

4 Likes

:+1: a big +1 for this, brilliant writing

:frowning: This series was a huge disappointment for me, I started reading it as a teenager and the first book totally hooked me, I was obsessed with it. By the time I got to book 6 I just couldnā€™t bring myself to turn any more pages. Fans of the series refer to the middle chunk of books as ā€œThe Great Slogā€ and admit that itā€™s painfully slow. They insist that it gets totally great again if you can make it through the Slog but Iā€™m not about to grind through 3000 pages in my leisure time reading some of the dullest fiction ever composed, just in the hopes that it might get good again at some point down the road. Thereā€™s so many wonderful authors out there to read who donā€™t suffer from Jordanitis.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just begun the latest entry in the ā€œCork Oā€™Connorā€ murder mystery series, ā€œFox Creek.ā€ Iā€™ve read every book in the series. Kruegerā€™s character development really makes you feel like you know the people, and the books are hard to put down.

1 Like

I loved that series and I thought it one of the best endings I have ever read (after Primal Fear).

1 Like

Well that makes me want to just give it up. When there are so many great books and series out there that are not a drag. Not sure why Wheel of Time is so highly rated then.

Existential crisis? :rofl: Donā€™t want to spoil it for anyone that reads it.

1 Like

Those are cool book covers!

2 Likes

Right? And pretty cheap too, they started making these (I think they call them the collectors library collection) in 2014 and just finished them in 2021. I got these for like $15 each, not bad at all.

2 Likes

I love fantasy and sci-fi, but Iā€™m currently working my way through the Stephen Attebrook series of medieval mysteries by Jason Vail. Really enjoying them. Prior to that, and in a similar kind of vein, though a different time period, I completed the Damian Seeker series by S.G. MacLean - very good, gritty historical fiction. I never thought Iā€™d enjoy reading these kind of books, but you never know what youā€™re going to stumble across in L Space do you :wink:

1 Like