What are your favourite guitars in your collection, and why?

My Flying V is my absolute favourite because it is the model used by many of my guitar heroes. Hendrix, Schenker, Downing, Hammet.

Imgur

9 Likes

Nice guys! Lovely guitars yā€™all have!! Yeah I adore my Taylor

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a nudged to the Roadhouse Deluxe, as its got the 6 way Switch Pre-amp and sounds pretty mean when set to the P90 emulation. But it is truly a Rizla sheet between them. As I say horses for courses.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Natch !

1 Like

Well ā€¦ a little bit ā€¦ so Iā€™m not the only one with multiple guitars and canā€™t choose ā€¦ I play the most on that Ibanez ā€¦ but it looks broken (or at least doesnā€™t look like something I used to call guitar), hence my preference for that one PRS ā€¦ but I also have a Fender player and another one that is even more heavy than that Fender that I wouldnā€™t be able to play on it even with good backbones ā€¦ but if they are whole and complete then they are all equally sweetā€¦Unlike children @jkahn :joy:
Greetings

4 Likes

sounds like a favorite to meā€¦ you just donā€™t want to admit it out loud in case you hurt the feelings of your other guitars :wink:

3 Likes

Hi James,
No, itā€™s really about the weightā€¦that Ibanez weighs 2.36 kilos the PRS 2.73 kilosā€¦and in my condition that makes a big differenceā€¦with good physical health I would never bought a guitar like thisā€¦Purely on appearance then ā€¦ because he also just plays fantastic ā€¦ and luckily thatā€™s how my wife has thought about me for years :blush: :grin:
Greetings

5 Likes

Well. I am down to only 2 guitars now. I just sold my Yamaha FS-TA transacoustic a few weeks back. But had a lot of guitars for the last 1,5 year. Acoustics i have had PRS, taylor GS mini, Gibson J-15 Martin D-15 a few different Yamahaā€™s among others.
They have all gone out the door again relativly quickly. I can not find anyone that i like more than my trusted Martin D-10eā€¦it looks boring, there is nothing special about the woods or anything else. It looks just plain simple and sounds awsome. It is one of the least good looking guitars i have owned , but it just has something that i really really like. it too has a tendency to change string action from time to time due to weather. But its not too bad. And it is a full size Dread. It can be a bit big to handle compared with smaller sized guitars. But to me it outplays everything else i had in the house and it is my go to guitar everytime.

In the electric departpent i have only owned one. And it is a Fender Stratocaster player. I dont play it much, dont really like playin electric guitar. So my daughter uses it all the time and she loves it.
The look of it makes me smile, it looks supercool with its tidepool blue colour.

11 Likes

2 Acoustics, 3 Electrics to choose from. And they all get used.

But really not too hard to choose two favourites, and both were bought secondhand.

Favourite Acoustic.

Martin OMCPA4, this was a sight unseen eBay purchase. I think itā€™s a 2012. Itā€™s just a lovely guitar to play and I pick it up every day.

Favourite Electric

2012 Fender American Standard Strat in Candy Cola. This was from a local music shop which sells used guitars on consignment, so I did get to try this before buying. This also gets played almost every day, it feels and sounds great and is such an awesome colour!

Rod

11 Likes

It really is

1 Like

Interesting word, ā€˜favouriteā€™ :thinking:
Which guitars do I like to play on most?
My Harley Benton electric and my ā€˜dumpster findā€™, Fender C60 acoustic that I resurrected.
Which would I save if my house was on fire?
My semi-hollow Hagstrƶm and Yamaha C40 with all the signatures of folk I met on my guitar journey.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have a favourite at the moment as I only have 2 but here are my babies.

I am saving to buy another acoustic but one that I can plug in.

7 Likes

What a juicy topicā€¦

My overall favorite electric: Meet ā€˜Geraldineā€™; a rare hollow-body 1967 Kent 834 by Kawai. I purchased it at an auction of a 50+ piece personal collection. It came with the original case in which it had been sitting for a very long time, but the finish and hardware cleaned up beautifully. It had signs of a lot of fret wear, but was meticulously cared for. A fret leveling & dressing and set-up gave it a second life. The hollow body and aged spruce give it a warm gutsy sound and it plays as smooth as a babyā€™s behind. Itā€™s super light, and the violin shape fits my body so comfortably that Itā€™s hard to keep my hands off of it.

I bought ā€˜Lucyā€™ my go-to acoustic, a '99 Taylor 510AB 25th Anniversary w/original case, from the same auction as the Kent. I was lucky to be able to compare it along side some primo Alvarez, Martin and other Taylor guitars beforehand also being auctioned from the same (by appt) collection. One was a Martin D-28 :drooling_face:. I was sold on the robust sound projection and full dynamic range. After bringing it back to specs, it plays like butter and sounds as rich.

My ā€˜rescueā€™ Alvarez RF20SC (yet to tell me itā€™s name) recently replaced my beloved Ovation C057 as hybrid numero uno. It needed a lot of love at first, and more than once I had my doubts that it would make it. But what a little cream-puff this turned out to be! I seem to reach for it more and more in the few weeks Iā€™ve owned it.

4 Likes

Just discovered this topic. Great Topic, JK, so have to join in.

Not the greatest pictures. Taken with my phone and the light was not helping me out.

I currently have 3 acoustics and 2 electrics, with the well known Epiphone LP up for sale to return me to 4.

The headstock you see is my original acoustic purchased back in 1989. When I treated myself to Fender Paramount PM1 Deluxe you see I kept it and have it Nashville strung and have used it on original songs.

When I felt the time was right to treat myself to a better acoustic, I went to a local store, explained what I wanted and then sat back and tried all the guitars they felt met my ask. When I tried the Fender I just knew it was the one. I still think it sounds fabulous and find it comfortable to play.

The electric was purchased just a few days ago. I wanted to replace my LP due to it just being so heavy and uncomfortable for lengthy playing sessions. After online research I was set on the PRS SE Customer Semi-hollow. I went down to the store tried an Epiphone 339 and then the PRS. It is super light, comfortable, and sounds great.

My other guitar is a Honer wooden body resonator. One for the future, as my skills grow and I can play more acoustic blues.

7 Likes

Ok Iā€™ll add my 2 favourites

Coda Guitars (Custom): ā€œLucyā€

Made by a Belgian lefty luthier.
I love 24" scale on electrics,
I love the Jaguar body shape
I love the Telecaster simplicty
I love the Stratocaster ergonomics and sonic options.
Iā€™m a sucker for ebony fretboards and wanted the body in THAT specific red (ā€œUnion Redā€)

Lucy, named after my rabbit, was born!

Maton EM100C ā€œMessiahā€

Plays and sounds like a dream
Even more plugged in
Fantastic tuning accuracy and stability
Ebony neck and matching headstock color <3
Love that 808 body shape
Only took a few minutes to be fully at home on this ā€œbrilliance on the basicsā€ guitar.

10 Likes

Both lovely guitars there David.

I know Iā€™m a fanboi (sic) but the PRS is lovely, I canā€™t wait to hear what you can produce with her over time. Thereā€™s a synergy in that I bought mine as a replacement for a LP style!

2 Likes

Sounds like Supermanā€™s nemesis

2 Likes

Isnā€™t the Maton the guitar Justin uses in a lot of his videos? I love that sound. Deep sigh :heart_eyes:

Hi Brian,

I have a soft spot for mis-treated guitars and have 'rescued more than one. Iā€™d be interested to hear the story behind your ā€˜dumpster findā€™ Fender, and see a photo of it and the Hagstrom as well.

Cheers!

@Helen0609 Andrea, he does play a Maton and also uses his Froggy Bottom.

1 Like