What do I need to know about my guitar? And why?

Sorry, guys ā€¦ Iā€™m really sorry about this weird ā€œbreakdownā€ over the last few hours. Itā€™s just that Iā€™m quite unsure about myself and about a lot of things in life in general.

Iā€™m also unsure where this ā€œguitar journeyā€ will lead me. Iā€™m unsure if it will lead me anywhere at all. Iā€™m unsure how many years (or decades?) this will take me.
And now Iā€™m also unsure about the very instrument itself.

But all of this is not your fault. If itā€™s anyoneā€™s fault at all, then it certainly is only mine.

Oliver.
You absolutely 100 per cent CAN learn to play with your guitar and it is a fine instrument.

Cast aside those doubts and feel no embarrassment.
Just know that strumming with a pick will not be optimal so watch Justinā€™s lessons in strumming with thumb and fingers.
And you now know that string changing etc requires a specific method.

We are all just supporting and trying to help one another.

Remember, follow the beginner course bit by bit.

2 Likes

@Klimperer42
I use my classical guitar more than anything else I have to practice, itā€™s easier on my fingers more than any of my others. I play most styles and it makes no difference to me (apart from electric guitar pieces that require distortion and effects) Once Iā€™ve learned to play a piece through then I pick up the appropriate guitar.
There is no reason whatsoever why you canā€™t use it to learn with; at a later date you may want an electric guitar to play some of the music you like, but thatā€™s going to take a while.

1 Like

The phrase ā€œgo with your gut instinctā€ comes to my mind. You went into the guitar shop with the gut instinct to get a classical guitar. From what Iā€™ve read in the posts by the more knowledgeable members, you got yourself a pretty decent classic guitar. Usually when something feels natural to you, its a good thing.

The guitar journey is going to take you where ever you want to go. Figuratively speaking your the one in control of the map. Its like everything in life, you get out of it, what you put into it. Think of it as the most amazing road trip, just take each day as it comes and enjoy the journey. I get the feeling that you are just a bit low on confidence but that will grow naturally as you develop the skills as you work your way through the course. In addition to the online course you know that you could even consider some lessons with one of the JustinGuitar approved teachers.

1 Like

Hi James,

thanks for your reply and the positive encouragement! As you write it, it all sounds so easy. But it has always been very hard for me to put into practice.

Yeah, ā€œa bit low on confidenceā€ could actually be ā€œthe story of my lifeā€ :joy:
In my professional life (Iā€™m a software engineer), it took me about 10 years to build a reasonable level of self-confidence. There is still not much of it in ā€œinterpersonalā€ or day-to-day situations.
Funnily enough, with my choir or on the piano/keyboard I can sing or play in front of 500 people or more without being bothered that much. We humans are just strange creatures :wink:

3 Likes

Just reinforcing this. Your guitar is, indeed, a fine instrument; it should serve you well.

1 Like

Hi Oliver,
First of all, and others have said, you should not beat yourself up over not understanding the difference between guitars. I had no clue what the differences were even after playing the guitar for a year or more and I suspect most beginners would be in the same position.

As others have said, you have a fine instrument, one that many would be envious of.

Having the right guitar for you is all that is important and all that we all want for you.

Iā€™m going to differ from some of the other posts here a bit because I do think it is important that you are completely happy with your purchase, because you do seem to worry about these things. If you are happy with it and it gives you joy, then you should keep it and get on with playing it.

However, if you have doubts, and if you think those doubts are going to interfere with your enjoyment of playing this beautiful guitar, then you really need to do something about that.

If you are having doubts or concerns like that, I would recommend going to the guitar shop and asking to audition some steel string acoustic models. Then you will confirm or dispel your doubts one way or another.

If you find you have changed your mind, then exchange for a different model, and there is no shame in that. If you are still happy with your original purchase, then you can let go of your doubts and worries.

Whatever you do, itā€™s important to make the right choice for you, even if that choice is slightly unconventional.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

What the heck am I reading here? Pick up guitar, tune guitar, play guitar.

6 Likes

One of my favorite songsā€¦ Queensryche - Silent Lucidityā€¦ I believe uses a nylon string guitar. Awesome tune!!

Dave

1 Like

Iā€™ve stumbled over your story whilst browsing and I feel a little heartbroken to read that you feel bad about this. Maybe this helps: You are way more confident than I wouldā€™ve been, because I definitely would not have been able to walk into a store and tell them that Iā€™m a beginner and asking for advice. And in my professional life I have to be rather confident (Iā€™m a public relations manager) and usually appear that way. But privately? No way.

I am absolutely amazed that you did something I never wouldā€™ve done in a million years. For me, my journey started when my best friend, who had two acoustic guitars, asked me if I wanted one. As a gift. Just like that and because she thought it might help me feel better. She even asked me which one Iā€™d like, showing me a picture. I absolutely had no idea about the differences, so I asked for the Fender one. Because I knew that name and a guitarist that I like plays mostly Fender guitars. It was a gut decision. And what shall I say? I love that guitar. On days where Iā€™m not home (I donā€™t take it with me), I miss that thing. So: Decisions with your gut can be the best ones you make!

Whatever you do (keeping it or returning it), keep in mind that there are people like me out there, who never wouldā€™ve had the guts to go to a store. I hope youā€™ll love your guitar (if itā€™s this one or another) just as much as I love mine.

7 Likes

Your guitar looks good and has good build quality. It will bring you a lot of fun. I have a friend who started learning on a flamenco guitar 10 years ago and he learned a lot. Right now he has a few other guitars but he still play regularly his first one which has a special place in his heart. You can do it, enjoy the journey :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Sarah (nice to see another German here :smiley:),

thanks a lot for your long and open reply. I really appreciate it.

Where are you from in Germany? If youā€™re anywhere near the Thomann store (i.e. anywhere in the southern half of Germany) and youā€™re only half interested in music and musical instruments, you should definitely go there at least once. I really love the store. They have every musical instrument you can imagine. Pianos, wind instruments, stringed instruments, drums & percussion, electronic instruments, but also lighting and sound equipment.

If you can be confident at work, Iā€™m sure you can also be confident privately. For me, it took at least 10 years to build a reasonable amount of confidence at work. But eventually it was there. So if I can go into that store, Iā€™m sure you can, too :wink:

My gut tells me that I should definitely keep the guitar. Even if I then need another guitar at some point.

5 Likes

Good :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Jozsef,
WRT your statement below,

I believe this is somewhat misleading (although very common). Years ago when I dabbled with the classical guitar I used the Aaron Shearer book ā€œClassical Guitar Techniques, Vol 1.ā€, I thought his statements on the two types of guitar (his words) rang true.

Although he later goes on to make some statements that I didnā€™t (and still donā€™t) agree with, at least the quote above I believe to be true.

So Klimperer42, take heart even a classical guitar icon says that the instrument cannot be confined to one type of music.

Glen

1 Like

That sounds a bit elitist to me :wink:

3 Likes

Yes there is a bit of that like when he says that the culmination is in the performance of classical music, and his reference to ā€œless complicated formsā€. However the statement of not being confined to any one type of music is worthwhile

Glen

1 Like

Hi, long time no see (life happened).

I just kept thinking about you and your guitar journey and wanted to ask how youā€™re doing these days?

By the way: Next week Iā€™ll take all my willpower and enter a guitar store. Just to ask for the price range on some adjustments on my guitar but nevertheless: Iā€™ll keep your words in mind once my nerve try to make me not go in thereā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Hi Sarah, thanks for checking in :wink:

As I had hoped, I still like the guitar. I make slow progress (on purpose). Iā€™m currently at Grade 1, Module 3, but I think Iā€™ll start Module 4 today. Most things so far really work quite well, some not so much (e.g., the chord change from Em to D :see_no_evil:).

I wish you all the best for your guitar store visit next week! I hope youā€™ll like it.

2 Likes

Hi there :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s great to hear and donā€™t worry - Iā€™m making slow progress as well. Thankfully, itā€™s not a race. I spent several weeks (months, even) on Grade 1 Module 4 and now just progressed to Module 5.

I just wanted to let you know: I went to a guitar store yesterday and despite being nervous as hell (and quite intimidated by the beautiful instruments all around me), everything went well. Someone had a look at my guitar and everything is alright, so the problem with me butchering the C chord is indeed my fingers :rofl: The very nice person helping me also told me how Iā€™ll notice when I need new strings and that changing the strings should be about 20 Euros - probably at the end of the year if I keep practicing (which I will).

So, as I kept thinking about how you cheered me on with going there: Thanks for the support!

:slight_smile:

Iā€™ll now try to get that beautiful red Fender strat for 1.500 Euros out of my mindā€¦

1 Like

Put 10ā‚¬ a week into your piggy bank. In 3 years time youā€™ll be good enough to do it justice.
Or search the second hand market. Youā€™ll eventually come across one for a lot less! :smiley:

2 Likes