What do you just not?

I play mostly fingerstyle but do use a pick in particular when in a group jam with others cause I just canā€™t hear my fingerstyle otherwise. Mark Knopfler said the little piece of plastic is the best amplifier you can get for free (or words to that effect).

1 Like

Does it have strings?
Does it make music?
Most important of all, is it a bargain?
Iā€™ll have whatever it is, mate :smiley:

7 Likes

Me too. Despite being an iconic guitar style, a Tele has no appeal for me. Iā€™m pretty sure that if there was one sitting in my closet, the dusty end of the neck would start at the first fret and go from there.
I love the LP look and feel and I like the look/feel of a strat.

2 Likes

I donā€™t own either Fender or Gibson but I do plan on owning guitars from both someday. Not just for the name - theyā€™re pretty iconic guitars.

I borrowed my mates Gibson Les Paul for a week, a few months ago. Aside from sounding absolutely pure rock n roll compared to my Squier, my mum was visiting, who knows next to nothing about guitars aside from how many strings they have, said ā€œWow, thatā€™s a Gibson!ā€

Brand recognition of the big two is real.

Hi Jk ,
I do know that Justin (and others whose opinion I hold highly and also speak personally) find the CURRENT american Fender models far too expensive and that they have been surpassed by many other brands (overshadowed says justin somewhere)ā€¦but of course good guitars.
And if they werenā€™t so heavy Iā€™d buy a Gibson today :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

I agree. It just has very little meaning for me, especially whether someone else recognises my guitar as being a Gibson or Fender. Frankly, so what!

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

My first decent guitar was a Mexican Strat; affordable and upgradeable :smiley:

I never felt much for the LP for about the same reasons @direvus pointed out himself
Never felt warm for PRS guitars either
Not into dreadnaught size acoustics

Love jaguar shapes and scale length but not all the ugly switches
Love the Tele simplicity but it misses some ergonomic features
love the Strat ergonomy, ā€œall roundā€ character and options.
I poured the pro arguments into a custom guitar and a lot of that was solved :smiley:

2 Likes

I am with the ā€œI donā€™t do picksā€ crowd.

Currrently I donā€™t do electric, but that probably isnā€™t permanent, or if it were, it would just be because I have enough to do with non-electrics.

What I am starting to worry about is that I ā€œdonā€™t doā€ rhythmā€¦:man_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Nothing in particular am I just ā€œnopeā€ about when it comes to guitars to be honest. My first electric was an LP shape which I actually quite like, but the weight of it was ridiculous and consequently it was no way near as well balanced as my PRS.
I donā€™t know if part of that was that mine was a pretty cheap variant or if theyā€™re all like that, but itā€™d be in my mind before looking at another LP type.

2 Likes

I donā€™ t care all that much about brands, names, etcā€¦
Before i say not, iā€™ll give it a try.
Thatā€™s how i found out that an LP is not for me, neither is a SG.
A tele might do, i need a session or two more .or, a tele shaped guitar. Iā€™ve been ogling one in my local guitarshop, but still need to come up with a good excuse to go ahead and buy it.

4 Likes

Stickers. Although there have been some iconic guitars with stickers on them (e.g. those of Woody Guthrie or Alvin Lee), itā€™s just a big no-no for me. I might take an exception to putting one on the pickguard.

Iā€™ll sign on to the no-Strat camp. For me, I think the reason is the ubiquity of the Strat shape rather than the guitar itself. A lot of my favourite players were/are Strat-slingers and they sure know better than me, but still.

2 Likes

Ornamentation.

Fancy paint schemes, abalone inlays, pictures on the fretboard instead of dots, gold plated hardware, etc, etc, etc

Iā€™d rather the money go into the soundā€¦high quality tone woods, build quality, better electronicsā€¦and so on.

My Made in Mexico Martin GPC X2 is quite plain looking, and thatā€™s the way I like it. It sounds good and itā€™s easy to play.

Althoughā€¦as others have mentioned, brand recognition is a thing. One of my guitar playing friends said ā€œOoooā€¦a Martin!ā€ the first time he saw it, even though itā€™s at the very bottom of their lineup.

3 Likes

Generally, I think less is more, but there are some pimped-up guitars that are just pure eye-candy to me, like:

Jimmy Pageā€™s Telecaster
Eric Claptonā€™s psychedelic SG
John Lennonā€™s painted acoustic-electric

2 Likes

No doubt they cost for the brand. Fender in particular also has a lot of affordable models too. BTW I mostly see a Suhr or Froggy in Justinā€™s videos which are not cheap! :grinning:

1 Like

Fender and Gibson absolutely trade on their names and make money from it, you should be able to buy similar guitars from other manufacturers for less, why would you pay more for a ā€˜knockoffā€™ than a Gibson?

1 Like

:sweat_smile:
Luckily that Suhr was too heavy for me :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

But you know what- having said that I really donā€™t like Gibson styles, and normally I would agree that I donā€™t like gold hardwareā€¦I would absolutely play the crap out of this.

1 Like

I just do not like explorer shape guitars. I know a lot of people that love them but they do nothing for me. Iā€™ve seen some that I thought looked nice, but I certainly would never own one.

As a Gibson/Les Paul lover I hope one day you all see the light :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though for me the Les Paul look has like an elegant (for lack of a better word) look that gives off a really cool aura. Donā€™t know what it is but Iā€™ve always been drawn to them. All the way back to when I first went to guitar center when I was a teenager to buy a guitar and got the epi les paul special beginner kit.

Iā€™m in this camp too, I donā€™t like gold colored hardware and would rarely like a guitar that has them. I can appreciate the look though. For example, the Schecter Solo II custom I can appreciate but never own in this color:

The blackburst would be my choice:

1 Like

Both are so pretty. Iā€™d only consider gold hardware on a black guitar. And there really needs to be gold tuners/pegs and even maybe a gold trim around the body too, to set it all off. And its the rounder shape that makes the difference as well. Like, a black and gold Strat? No, looks terrible to me. But any other black guitar, or any other color, with gold- blech!

Then thereā€™s this for those who really really like gold. Only $5800.00.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS2GD--ibanez-joe-satriani-signature-js2gd-electric-guitar-gold-boy

1 Like