What do you just not?

Guitars, guitarists, music?

Me its Fender Strats, I know they can be excellent guitars, its not a brand thing as I like Tele’s and Jaguars etc, but I have zero interest in owning or playing any strat (I guess it doesnt need to be fender brand).

2 Likes

I’ve tried and tried to make musical sounds come out of my electric guitar but it just won’t cooperate. I’d really like a course tailored to acoustic players who want to play electric.

2 Likes

I think mine is the Les Paul guitar style. Just does nothing for me aesthetically. The body shape, the switch placement, the chunky trapezoidal fretboard inlays, it’s all a big nope.

Plenty of guitarists I admire who prefer the LP, and if you love them, I have no problem with that, but I don’t think I would ever be excited to purchase one.

6 Likes

Capos.

I realise their value for certain things, but have never really taken to them. Would rather just experiment with alternative voicings when required.

4 Likes

Haha it seems we are polar opposites! Isnt it strange?

1 Like

Aye thats an odd one, I started on electric and added acoustic…

Whats not working, the tone/sound? What have you tried so far?

2 Likes

Good question. Hard to describe. I think the crux of the matter is with electric, less is more. And with acoustic, the opposite, esp with fingerstyle where you have to dig in to be heard at times. I’m thinking the electric technique is the polar opposite of what I do.

I also suspect if I put more time into the electric it would help.

2 Likes

We are indeed. I love the Strat and Super-Strat styles. But it’s not strange, it’s completely normal.

The romans had an expression for this very situation, de gustibus non est disputandum meaning “in matters of taste, there can be no dispute” so people have known for at least two thousand years that there’s no point in arguing about this stuff :smiley: You can enjoy your LPs and I’ll enjoy my Strats and it’s all good.

5 Likes

Probably! You dont need much input to make noise with an electric, the amp can do all that.

Depends on what kind of sound or style you are going for but give it a go and dont try an play it like an acoustic. Throw in some palm muted power chords and pent/blues lead stuff.

A lot of the subtle chord stuff gets lost when things get noisy

2 Likes

@sclay mention of capos made me realise, the other big thing that I “just not” is picks!

Don’t like them, don’t use them.

Maybe just that I never put in the time to get over how awkward they feel, but every time I tried to use a pick I’ve hated it. I want that direct contact with the strings. Having a little bit of plastic separating me from the strings kills the whole vibe for me.

4 Likes

This is a hard one Rob! I’m in to everything guitar. Certainly things I prefer doing and playing, and things I’m better or worse at. But things I don’t like… hmm…

1 Like

That’s kinda how I feel about Telecasters.

1 Like

Saaame! I just do not like the Gibson styles! Imagine my disappointment when, after I really started paying attention to guitars and learned their distinct shapes, I realized sooo many of my favorite guitarists used round body shaped guitars! Baahh! I love the Strat shape- watch out, dangerous curves!

3 Likes

Its funny I’m fine with sat a PRS or something just nto a typical Dire straits strat

1 Like

I know right. Slash uses a LP for crying out loud. Freakin’ Slash.

1 Like

Yes. Slash was the biggest letdown of all. I mean, it sounds amazing, just doesn’t look as badass.

1 Like

I know someone who likes the S shape but hates Strats because he doesn’t like pick guards, so he says he doesn’t like “that basic Stratocaster look.” Because of a pick guard he swears off an entire brand!

2 Likes

I did not expect that so many people would not find “standard” guitars beautiful to see …
I am genuinely surprised…and :exploding_head:
Greetings

1 Like

I just don’t like any of the mainstream guitars, most of them are way overpriced and don’t sound any better than a lot of much less expensive ones, it’s just hype!
There are plenty of really good guitars for a lot less cash, for one Harley Benton, their mid and higher price range are easily comparable with top brand guitars double the cost, ask Brian about Daphne! For me it’s not the shape or look it’s the crazy prices!

1 Like

I would say, at least for me, that’s also about brand. I wouldn’t buy a (say) Fender or Gibson just for the name on the headstock. I would buy it if it was the best guitar of the type I wanted (and at the price range I was aiming for), or if I got a good deal on it.

But I know that people’s tastes differ and, for many, the appeal includes the brand name.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes