What five campfire songs should you have in your locker

The fire is sure to inspire, the beverages will help set a warm and intimate mood, and the embers will be glowing and dancing. Unless you want to send everyone home (or to their tent) early, do not play Mad World!

5 Likes

I guess we were listening to different radio stations! :joy: In the early-mid 90s, I was listening to New Wave, blues, and ā€œneotraditionalā€ country.

3 Likes

100% agree on this. No sad songs what so ever at the campfire, especially not Mad World and the like. Thatā€™s a no go - Have to be happy songs, dancing songs, romantic songs and ā€œI luv you more than you luv meā€ songs. - Happy feelings :camping: :fire: :guitar: :notes: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Hi Mark: Very funny about Wonderwall :smiling_imp: I, too, have practiced wonderwall and found it great for improving strumming skills, however way too fast for a relaxed campfire song. Hey, to each is own right? Okay here goes my country song list: ā€œHereā€™s a quarterā€ by Travis Tritt, Midlandā€™s ā€œBurn Outā€, ā€œDrinking Problemā€ as well as ā€œAnd then someā€, Luke Combā€™s ā€œOne Number Awayā€, and of course for the one or two country fans out there, Dwight Yokumā€™s ā€œA thousand miles from nowhereā€. Also, I forgot to add my vote in the last communication: I also practice ā€œknocking on Heavenā€™s doorā€ which I think is a great repetitive chord change with interesting strumming, and Eagles ā€œpeaceful easy feelingā€ which is just a fantastic song. I am enjoying this thread and looking forward to adding even more songs to my repertoireā€¦ I absolutely LOVE playing / learning guitar!

2 Likes

I think this is going to depend on your age and your location! Campfire would tend to suggest acoustic so that influences the songs quite a bit. From a UK perspective Iā€™d go for:-

1. Any Beatles song (particularly the earlier stuff).
  2. Any Stones song (particularly the early stuff).
  3. Brown Eyed Girl
  4. American Pie
  5. Wonderwall (99% if you ask an audience for a song at the end of the night itā€™ll be this they shout back). This can be pretty relaxed on an acoustic.
3 Likes

Looked, listened, looked some more and listened some more. Sadly only 5. But here goes - Pretending being the DJ with the guitar and want to spice up the peps at the campfire, so I go with these songs in the written order:

1. Hello Goodbye - Beatles
  2. Crazy little thing called love - Queen
  3. Yellow Submarine - Beatles
  4. Wonderwall - Oasis
  5. Take me home country roads - John Denver
3 Likes

Freebird by Skynyrd :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

received_184506814456352

4 Likes

A lot of campfire songs I would take into my repertoire already have been mentioned and I add one that was played at partys in Germany a lot, or better said always, is Smokie ā€œLiving next door to Aliceā€. My friends arenā€™t very musical or play classical music, so my campfire experience during the last two decades is a little limited. :joy:

1 Like

I prefer this approachā€¦Iā€™d rather hear (or play) something that surprises and delights, rather than the same old songs that got played to death on top 40 radio when I was a kid.

In a nutshell, he recommends covering songs that are well known, but not originally recorded as ā€œsinger + acoustic guitarā€ songs. Suggests creating a ā€œCovers to coverā€ YouTube playlist for inspiration.

Perhaps a bit more difficult for beginner/intermediates like me, but I think the results will be a lot more interesting if I can pull it off.

PS I highly recommend his Substack. Lots of interesting ideas, very well presented.

2 Likes

The singers from some of my favorite punk bands have done this, performed solo singer/acoustic versions of their own songs on YouTube. I really enjoy those sorts of things, and want to learn some of them myself eventually.

Hereā€™s an example:
Solo Acoustic: MxPx- Let's Ride (LIQ Version) - YouTube
Full Band: MxPx - "Let's Ride" - YouTube

Iā€™m glad to hear other people enjoy those sorts of covers.

2 Likes
  1. Donā€™t fence me in
  2. Iā€™m a believer (monkees)
  3. blowin in the wind (bob dylan)
  4. mr tambourine man (bob dylan)
  5. country roads
3 Likes

Keith @LITTKEIT
First of all welcome to the community :+1:
Your second one is interesting, wasnā€™t expecting that to come up, it was on the first LP I bought, shows my age.
Michael

1 Like

Well it is about time I put my five up as I stared this off.

1 Brown Eyed Girl

2 Bad Moon Rising

3 Take me home Country Roads

4 Dance the Night Away

5 Green Green Grass

First three are my Grade 1 songs, decided on No 4 as chords are easy and a bit of sing along, I donā€™t play it very well but I think I would get away with it. I felt the need to include a recent song and went for George Ezra. Still learning and not totally committed to memory yet but with the chords in front of me I can play and sing.
Michael

PS
Keep them coming inšŸ˜€

2 Likes

Jason @Rossco01

Just so I can add some songs I have had a look at the Beatles and Stones songs that Justin has done and are early ones also low grade if possible.

Love me do

Twist & shout

Yellow Submarine

Let it be

When I am 64

And

The last time

Paint it black

Brown sugar

If you have a preference let me know otherwise when I get around to analysing the results I will pick names out of a hat.

Michael

2 Likes

My top five that I can play reasonably well and where I hope the audience joins in to let me off the hook :laughing: would be:
Margaritaville.
Brown eyed girl
Friends in low places
Folsom Prison Blues
Stand by me

2 Likes

@MAT1953 mmm I think Brown Sugar for the Stonesā€¦but on the Beatles front a nice easy one (from JGs beginner song book - Stage 4) is I Want To Hold Your Hand. Really nice middle 8 section as well on that one.

2 Likes

Jason @Rossco01

Good choice :+1:

Kim @kimlodrodawa

Yes it is difficult to pick five.

My intention was that they were five you could play at the drop of a hat and suitable for of a mixed aged group of people.

Of course if you are asked to do an encore then you can delve into your repertoire.

Michael

1 Like

Yes, you made it pretty clear about it had to be within certain criteria. - Still so hard to keep the limit at 5. - Look how many went with more than 5 :wink: Also I noticed how much I seriously struggled with this one and had to listen and go through a bunch of songs, before I finally could make a list and I already had 21 different lists in my mind to replace that list I made ā€¦ :joy: :joy: Yeah, interesting post and how to approach it. Sure a challenge. Well done :+1: :sunglasses: :joy:

1 Like