What five campfire songs should you have in your locker

Anyone ever tried Heroes as a campfire song? Itā€™s easy, not too many lyrics, but maybe a bit difficult to sing? Then again, Happy Birthday is rough to sing, I think, but that never stopped anyone!

1 Like

I guess itā€™s due to old age, but I donā€™t even recognize some of the songs people are listing, so thereā€™s no way itā€™s be able to sing along around a campfire.

1 Like

One of my main guitar aims (by the year 2030) is to have around 40-50 songs that I can play start to finish from memory. My weekly practice routine includes memorising chords and lyrics (usually on the train to work).

For now my campfire ā€˜go toā€™ songs:

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Wonderwall

Brown Eyed Girl

A Beatles song (maybe Let it Be or Love Me Do)

Either ā€˜Before Too Longā€™ or ā€˜To Her Doorā€™ by Paul Kelly

Pub With No Beer

The last two being very specific to Australia.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll add two to the collection:
Save tonight
Dust in the wind

1 Like

So a totally different take on the top 5 campfire songs with a bit of a cowboy slant

1. Home On The Range
  2. Iā€™ve Been Working on the Railroad
  3. Waltzing Matilda
  4. Scarborough Fair
  5. Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore.

Ok its a little corny but what the heck :slight_smile:

Glen

1 Like

Well what do I think?

1. Three little birds
  2. Redemption song
  3. Brown eyed girl
  4. Yellow submarine
  5. Maxwells silver hammer
  6. Take me home country roads
  7. Annieā€™s song
  8. Living on a prayer
  9. House of the rising sun
  10. Sitinā€˜ on the dock of the bay
    I could easily suggest a lot more butā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
5 Likes

Hi Michael,
I see that many guitarists have more problems with counting than average people :roll_eyes: ā€¦ I didnā€™t expect that :grin:
You can spend some time picking out numbers, have fun :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What?? Thereā€™s never too much guitars, gear and SONGS! Counting isnā€™t the problem. To limit oneself is the hardest part :joy:.

3 Likes

For me itā€™s any Oasis song :wink: !!

No, kiddingā€¦Iā€™ll follow the rules and stick with 5 (+1 bonus):

• Three Little Birds

• Man On The Moon

• Donā€™t You Forget About Me

• Fast Car

• Wonderwall (well cā€™mon, has to be!)

• Bonus - Should I Stay or Should I Go

4 Likes

Dear Helen (now Iā€™m using your other personality,the sensible loving housewife)
If asked to pick five guitars for free, how many of us would come home with, say, 3? :roll_eyes:so I admit it must be selectiveā€¦and not real counting problem,but stillā€¦
Michael must be shocked by so much choice :grin:
Greetingsā€¦

2 Likes

Lots of great suggestions. Thank you!
Folsom Prison Blues - Cash
The Gambler - Rogers
Traffic in the Sky or Were Going to Be Friends - Johnson
Hey Jude or Let it Be - The Beatles
Iā€™m Yours - Jason Mraz

2 Likes

Rogier @roger_holland

Certainly given myself a task in pulling it all together at end.
Michael :bar_chart:

2 Likes

Michael, first - thanks for posting this, itā€™s great fun. I donā€™t know if this is too much to ask, but it might be fun to compile a list of all the suggestions an put out a survey allowing respondents to choose only five (or ten :smiley: ). Even more of an ask: maybe have two or three categories, resulting in a list for each! Iā€™d be willing to assist you if thereā€™s a way to helpā€¦

2 Likes

Judi @judi

Thanks for your input, I am initially just going to count up the ā€˜votesā€™ for each song and see where it goes.
I take your point about different lists, I presume you meant different type of ā€˜audiencesā€™ but I tried to sidestep this by saying suitable for all age groups, was thinking of a family get together, parents, grandparents, children, rather than a group of your friends but could think about that a the next step.
Michael

1 Like

Awesome list! My entire reason to start learning guitar 1 1/2 year ago (thanks to Justinguitar) has been to be able to play songs by the fire at our cabin. Your list includes a few of the ones I have been practicing as well. Pink Floyd and Eaglesā€¦ how can you go wrong :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sylvie @SylvieL

Which pink Floyd and eagles songs so I can add them to the list

Michael

1 Like

Those of you that are observant will have noticed I havenā€™t given my five songs yet.
I will do at some point.
Michael :notes:

1 Like

The Pink Floyd song is ā€œwish you were hereā€ and Eagles ā€œtake it easyā€ā€¦ However if you are adding to the list I have also been practicing ā€œsitting by the dock of the bayā€ which has been mentioned a few times. Not to add even MORE songs to your list but I also love Cranberries ā€œLingerā€ and Eagles ā€œTequila Sunriseā€ā€¦ I will stop here because my song book is getting bigger every week and I am sure that all the Country songs I have been practicing would be unpopular to a lot of you out thereā€¦ and yes I live in America :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about Jumbalaya, really nice feel good swing song perfect for that 2x4 strum pattern.

Could add all sorts of fun to that, Clapping, accoustic hit on guitar.

R.

3 Likes

In a thread where several people think Wonderwall is a campfire song? Post whatever you like! (I had to go find Wonderwall on YouTube, because Iā€™d never heard of it, and when I listened to it, I thought ā€œreally? People would sing THAT around a campfire?ā€

3 Likes