What goes through someones head when soloing

I think this is a good question, and while I am at the extreme other end of Rhythm, I konw I want to get to a point where I can play like this chick in the video.

After she loops the first few things and then starts playing a solo, for those who can do this and are pretty decent, what is going through your mind? eg: There are 8th notes 16 notes probably triplets and a whole lot of other stuff in the solo, do you just learn them and know your Rhythm is on point to be in time all the time?

At this stage of progress, is it more about the ‘feel’ of the beat, and you just know your intime with your notes?

I am really interested to know. I feel like lately, these last 2 weeks I have been really trying to ‘feel stuff’ while praciticing both guitar and piano, instead of just ‘keep in time’

1 Like

She’s awesome, I’ve seen her live, got to meet her and was MC that introduced her at one of our club events. So talented!!!

I don’t dare post the just before and the just after for many men :grin:

Greetings

2 Likes

??? What does this mean?

That when there is a great solo , as Justin tries to tell you, nothing goes through your head and you don’t think
 your fingers know the way
 your thoughts are empty and you feel what is good

I can add if you think you stink as much mentioned here and by Justin (of course this only happens after many hours/months/years of practice)

Greetings

If you look at her legs, you can see that she is moving and feeling the beat even before she lays down the looper track. You see many guitarists moving in their chairs as they feel the rhythm on videos.

These are the chords to “All Along The Watchtower” which is a common rock progression that she may well have practiced many times in training. The memory therefore can pull these solos from somewhere.

Edit: having looked it up it’s a 6 5 4 chord progression

Yeah. I think that it has to do with feeling. I should have been more clear in my post question,
I came across her just scrolling Insta, but the thought and question was related to all solo’s or all fast moving actions similar to this.

However, I do understand it is gonna be many years of practice of the little fundamentals that get me there.

I feel music when I am in the car and sing (badly lol) especially if there are songs that personally to me move me. I am however not at that same level of feeling when playing, and this may just be down to the level I am at with my guitar and piano, which I would consider both novice/beginner.

I take the little wins though, like my fingertips now rarely get sore. My g major scale pattern #1 is slowly improving, and I am working a lot on rhythm, just clapping and tapping, and the book i am using in conjunction with JT Rhythm Maestro, I feel like I had a pretty decent personal breakthrough the other day, so baby steps but I want to take bigger ones :slight_smile:

I think when you get beyond the technicalities of where to put your fingers and that becomes automated, then the feel develops. For some this probably takes longer than others.

For me I’m not that creative and if I just let my fingers do it, then I would probably improvise the same solo every time. So I learn songs and the solos therein.

I find your questioning very interesting. I’ve been obsessed with keeping time for a good 3 years and more now . I love feeling in control and so I love practicing with a metronome or tap my foot consistently and when I can’t tap consistently I despair. Gradually the all process is becoming more natural
I think there must be a moment when one deliberately decides to go out of his/her comfort zone by not aiming to be in control and just let the playing happen
but how and when one knows he/she is ready for that? Am I confident enough to trust my feeling? Is my time feeling enough developed to be trusted? Sorry
you were looking for answers and I made further questions :see_no_evil:

@SILVIA You are absolutely right. I recently posted a piece where I’d managed not to plug the amp microphone in and the whole thing was picked up on my vocal mike. The loudest thing you can hear was my foot tapping! I had no idea I was doing this and it was totally involuntary (probably just the same for the player in the video in the OP). The timing feel eventually becomes embedded but when that occurs I have no idea.

1 Like

There are 2 approaches to soloing.

1. Memorize a set solo and play it the same way every time.
  2. Play what you feel. This is a more free form way to solo but can derail very quickly.

My approach is a little of both. I learn solos as best I can but when I play the set solo is more of a guideline not a set piece.

1 Like

Blank photo

Sounds a bit like all along the watchtower

I dont believe each one of us is not creative to some extent. Put on a slow backing track and play some notes. Just find a couple that fit. Dont think scale or what chord. You will find couple that work rather fast. Play around with them, dynamics, rhythmic variations etc. You ll have fun and you ll see you can make something nice each time. Give it 5-10 mins a day for a month. You ll be surprised.

Those that I consider great players, Rory Gallagher, Peter Green, Paul Kossoff, would never play the same thing twice and would generally improvise around an established theme. Even the little fills would be creative.

On the other hand, if you’re the Eagles playing Hotel California, then you will play like the record. Indeed you would be expected to and especially as that’s a duet. That’s a different mindset and possibly more difficult than ad-libbing.

1 Like

Sometimes I think this is what I should aim to for my acoustic fingerstyle (which I have now much neglected for lack of time :pensive:) And I also know what it takes to get there: dedicaton and years and years of both practicing and playing to develop a strong Rhythm and a stronger connection with the instrument
no shortcuts available :wink: