What I hate about electric guitars is their weight

No, there’s no nuts or bolts involved. It’s just a circlip, also known as a grip ring or retaining ring:

But they are rather hard to clip on without pliers

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Always good to have some proper strap locks fitted. I’ve got Schallar S Locks fitted to my electric and one of my acoustics. I think that will be a standard thing I do now for any future guitars.

1 Like

Hi Keith,

Thanks once again for the idea about the gimlet. I bought a set of 4 with different thickness and length and yesterday I managed to install new Schaller strap locks on my electric guitars. They seem to be sound and secure.

On a sidenote, I bought 2 pairs of D’Addario dual-lock strap locks for my acoustic guitars. The design is quite simple but effective and the locks seem to be sturdy enough so that the straps will stay in place.

1 Like

I eventually got myself Ernie Ball Neoprene Polylock Comfort Guitar Strap, Black, Wide
I am happy with it.

1 Like

Good stuff. I’m glad you got there. With the right tools, it’s a pretty easy and painless procedure.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Weight was a factor when I traded my Gibson Les Paul for an SG. I play with the guitar on my lap so it wasn’t an immediate problem but I could imagine it would be if I was to stand and play

I’ve got an Epiphone Les Paul which is a heavier guitar, and a few weeks ago I installed Schaller strap locks on it. The locks are working fine, but one of the holes was a tiny bit wider than necessary. When installing, I cut a matchstick roughly in half (lengthwise) and put it in the hole and screwed the strap lock in.

However, the lock started to slip out of the hole. I’ve seen products called “liquid wood” in Hungarian, basically these can be used for repairing cracks and smaller holes in wooden objects. Do you think it’s a good idea to inject such a material roughly half the depth of the hole, wait until it dries, and then screw the lock in again? Or should I go to a luthier and ask them to drill a new hole with the proper size and fill the old one and repair the finish?

I think most luthiers would just glue various match sticks in, as it’s less work than trying to hide an unused hole.

Just cut enough matchsticks to fill the hole, put a little wood glue in the hole and cover the matchsticks in a bit glue before pushing them in. Coat the screw with some wax to avoid it getting too attached by the glue, and screw the button on.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll try this.

Cheers :wink:

If you’re struggling or just want to see how a luthier would do it, I’m sure there will be plenty videos on Youtube with various tips, as it’s a pretty common repair.

1 Like