What is a D7sus2/4

I’ve come across the chord in the Tabs section of a song I’m trying to learn. However, I can’t find this chord on chord finders online. What is a D7sus2/4. I’m not at the level of trying to learn the chord construction theory, I just want to be able to play the chord. I do plead “ignorance” here.

Screenshot from 2024-10-09 19-09-17

And as long as I’m confused about more complicated tab, what do these types of chord mean.

Screenshot from 2024-10-09 19-16-04

Here are some fingerings for the D7sus2 and D7sus4 chords. I don’t know that 2/4 means on the tab you posted. Someone else may have that answer.

I use this resource all the time to learn new chord shapes.

D7sus2:

C/E and C/D are examples of slash chords, where the bass note (following the slash) is something other than the root of the chord before the slash. Here is where to start learning them.

More new things for you to work on Daniel!

Slash chords is the learning you need.

C/D and C/e are C chords with D or E in the bass respectively.

D7sus2/4 is a D7 chord without the 3rd and with the 2 and 4 added in (making it a sus type).

D7 = 1, 3, 5, b7 = D, F#, A, C
D7 sus2 = 1, 2, 5, b7 = D, E, A, C
D7 sus4 = 1, 4, 5, b7 = D, G, A, C

D7sus2/4 = 1, 2, 4, 5, b7 = D, E, G, A, C

Not necessarily in that strict alphabetical order. Chords do not always follow the exact order of their formulae.

You could play:

e string → 0 = E
B string → 1 = C
G string → 2 = A
D string → 0 = D
A string → x
E string → 3 = G

2 Likes

@mfeeney0110 mfeeney0110 and @Richard_close2u Richard_close2u
Thank you and thank you!

It’s on of those chords that sounds more complicated than it is.

Depending on the context and what chords come before and after it you could play it three different ways. The note needed are D E G A C the only note note played on an open string is C
e-0
B-1
G-0
D-0
A-0
X

or

e-0
B-1
G-0
D-0
A-X