What is a DAW?!? (Logic Pro X Basics)

Music is produced in DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations). This lesson is going to look at the basics of DAWs, specifically Logic Pro X.

View the full lesson at What is a DAW?!? (Logic Pro X Basics) | JustinGuitar

Audacity is a very powerful daw for windows. Also MuseScore4 will allow you to write scores for many different instruments and it can even play them for you, and export it as mp3. MuseHub offers you free effect and sound plug-ins for both of these. These free tools are great for windows. I tried to record my acoustic with a dirt cheap mic. An equalizer effect made the sound much better.

Calling Audacity a ‘DAW’ is a bit of a stretch IMO. There’s a lot of things you would expect to do in a DAW (like multitrack recording and MIDI) that it cannot do.

It also has a rather clunky workflow for anything except fairly simple music production.

It’s a damn good audio editor/manipulation system and, in some cases, does some things which full DAWs don’t do so well and it’s a lot easier to learn than full DAWs.

For simple (mainly single track) recording and editing it’s OK.

But I wouldn’t call it a DAW.

Cheers,

Keith

For Apple users, the free GarageBand app is available for MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS.

It is quite powerful, but I prefer VoiceMemo for simple recordings…tracking my progress, etc.

Also, Logic Pro has just been released for iPadOS and (maybe) iOS. Not free…subscription based, IIRC.

1 Like

@Tbushell I agree about Voicememo - a quick way to get an idea recorded as a demo before it escapes memory, and to find out ‘if you hear what I hear’.

Previously, I used Reaper, but now using Cakewalk (formerly Sonar). Having used two DAWs, you start to know what to look for. I agree with the comment about developing familiarity with workflow in your preferred DAW.

2 Likes