What is the difference between these two recordings?

Hi all

I’ll combine this with an intro of myself which I’ve yet to do despite lurking for a while.

I picked up a guitar in January, and have been using Justin’s app since then. Grade 1 modules flew past rather quickly, pending a lot more time on Grade 2 modules, things are getting interesting. :slight_smile: Some days I can skip the app practice all together and just strum to songs - meditation for my head.

Started exploring playing from tabs, one of which has gotten me puzzled. Play with Fire by The Rolling Stones. The tabs I found described was G D C Em.

At first I tried that along with this YouTube video as backing:

Then I tried to use Spotify as backing once, but then it suddenly sounded “off”:

Another YouTube video sounded similar to the Spotify version:

What’s going on between these versions? Why are they slightly “off” compared to each other?

-T

That’s the intro. the verses are Em for 3 lines then the last line which you could call a short chorus (But dont play etc) is G D G C Em then the Intro is played again as the bridge.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Also, tabs on the internet can be hit and miss. I did a quick search and found a tab for this song mentioning an Em7 chord, and another one without it. In the long run, you better trust your ear for this kind of thing.

As for the recordings, they sounded pretty similar to me. The Spotify version was a bit clearer, though.

1 Like

Welcome, Thomas, glad to see you come out from the shadows.

I’d also suggest looking for people either playing covers or teaching the song. Combine that with tab plus your own ears and you should be able to get it sorted out.

1 Like

Hello Thomas and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I mentioned G D C Em I was just referring to the set of chords used, not their order. The thing that puzzled me was that they didn’t sound to fit with the various recordings. And that the recordings seemed to be slightly different tones.

To me the chords I found didn’t seem to fit well on top of these recordings. And I couldn’t figure out why. I tried to play with the capo, but that didn’t help either. I also looked for recordings of people playing, but they looked to be doing the chords described. I’ve yet to look up a tutorial video, I might do that next.

Played along with the album track last night. Sounded fine to me in standard tuning.
You should also not that chords are mainly arpeggiated for most of the song not strummed.

Try Ivor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwQwt6vylo
Lots uf sus chords

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s another thing for me to google. :slight_smile:

That’s great, as I just began module 11 that introduced sus chords. :smiley:

That video showed the picking well. :+1:Thanks for finding that.

1 Like

Ivor does a lot of good song lessons on stuff from the 60s :sunglasses:

1 Like