What is the hard-for-you thing you're currently working on?

Having the songs be ones you want to learn is certainly an incentive. If it was just for the sake of the chord, the motivation drops off the table.

3 Likes

Imagine what @jkahn will think when he opens this place up and his thread has exploded!

2 Likes

Wow, 1 day off and thereā€™s A hugh thread to wade through.

Hard for me, lol, EVERYTHING. Iā€™m just a novice.

Currently managing about 40-50 changes a min with the F chord since Octoberish, so yeah thatā€™s been quite hard.

Strumming knocking on heavens door. That split bar change is being a mare.

Canā€™t stand power chords, small hands have trouble with reach and strength.

R

2 Likes

Haha, Iā€™ve been following along. Iā€™m glad people have found it interesting! I certainly have.

7 Likes

Just shows we are all struggling with something or many things and learning guitar ainā€™t as easy as it looks. Hopefully the thread will provide insight to those just starting or hitting their first bumps, that there will be challenges, you will get over them only for them to be replaced by others.

Weā€™re all in for the long haul, so donā€™t give up at the first hurdle.

Thx for kicking this off JK, some great entries.

:sunglasses:

8 Likes

I love that everybody has something for this thread, because it shows that weā€™ve all committed to a path of challenging ourselves and learning.

I could tick several boxes already mentioned by others, but Iā€™ll say specifically that changing quickly and smoothly between power chords is one that Iā€™m giving a bit of time these days. Even just sliding is tricky, but especially when they hop strings.

For those struggling with the F barre chord, I say: Experiment with it higher up the neck. I think F is the hardest to play. Two frets up, and youā€™re at G - itā€™s easier. On up to A is a breeze. And I think when you add those to your practice of F, it makes F more accessible, too. (Any transitions to open chords, and this starts going sideways for me.)

I also strongly resonate with the problem of guitar studies being a full-time job.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve just moved onto power chords, and I canā€™t believe how tired my hand gets after only a few minutes, right now it seems like an uphill struggle, and I sigh mentally when I get to that part of my practice but hey thatā€™s normal it does get easier ā€“ right? :pray:t3:

I was chuffed when I finally learned to sing and play at the same time but now that Iā€™ve gone back to add a more advanced strumming pattern or a simple picking pattern to some of the songs, I can no longer sing along at the same time, so Iā€™m having to relearn all over again, I know that itā€™ll all come together and itā€™ll be worth the hard work but why oh why canā€™t it be quicker.

Someone should right a funny song about the struggles of learning guitar ā€“ not me Iā€™m too busy struggling with everything else guitar. :sob: :rofl:

5 Likes

Really interesting thread, and I have tried to think of how to reply multiple times. I decided to do my top five. and added a 6th.

1. Picking individual strings in a strum pattern
  2. Fingerpicking
  3. Incorporating barre chords in songs.
  4. Acoustic solo blues
  5. Bending
  6. Singing/playing/performing
    Of course there are many more, and I have been thinking about this as a way to update my learning log. My practice session has had these elements in for months. There are times I have felt that I have stalled, but looking back I can see how I have progressed in capability and speed of most of the items.
    I have a 5 song ā€œsetā€ that I use to practice that I would like to be able to perform at a local open mic. However even if I feel good about these things in my practice room, getting them public is a whole different challenge I know.

I have looked at other lessons, and then retreated back to these to focus on rather than adding more to my plate that feels hard. I know they will still be there when Iā€™m ready. I am really interested in the new blues course but think that may be too much too soon for me to take on.

5 Likes

This does seem like a very big list of big topicsā€¦ youā€™re maybe spreading yourself too thin? Iā€™m in favour of having a few things on the go so I donā€™t get bored but there might be a tipping point where you donā€™t progress much with any of them

2 Likes

I am so, so bad at making time to practice and taking my playing in any new and challenging directions.
I have been working on a tricky fingerstyle thing in an altered tuning and am hoping to perform it at the Open Mic.
It is not easy.
My fingers are fumbly.
A successful run through happens now and again but not too often.

5 Likes

I took an extra week learning Dm and finally getting 35 changes on one min chord changes When I practice songs that ring finger will come down here and there.

2 Likes

Matt, they are all encompassed in the developing set list, so practicing 5 songs hits 4 of them. The blues solos provide a bit of a change and challenge to keep me feeling like I am learning more than improving.
At one time I wanted to speed through the lessons, but now I am happy slowly adding in new challenges.

3 Likes

Iā€™m just starting Grade 3. How would you summarize it? Would you say you learned a lot? Did lessons translate directly and immediately to actual playing?

1 Like

Hello Matt. I too started doing Dm with the ring finger, but Iā€™ve made the effort to train myself to use the pinky. In addition to improving your pinky strength and coordination, doing this leaves your ring finger free for variations to the Dm. Look at Justinā€™s lesson on ā€œImagineā€ where a Dm/C ā€œslash chordā€ is and should be used. You could use your thumb to come over and fret the C. My hands are too small or not flexible enough for that.

3 Likes

Grade 3 is a bit different as others before me have said. Itā€™s less structured and more a mix of new techniques to enable you to embellish what you have learnt in Grades 1 & 2. There are also a number of ā€˜non playingā€™ food for thought type videos. You have to put the effort in yourself as to how to incorporate the techniques and embellishments into songs rather than it being laid out for you, which is one of my tasks for the consolidation. There are two new songs where tabs are provided (Blues Lick n Riff and Greensleeves) where my first reaction on hearing Justinā€™s demo was ā€˜thereā€™s no way I can play that! but I am slowly getting there. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

1 Like

WOW, this thread is really busy :sweat_smile:
JK, you always come up with such exciting topics :+1:

So many interesting posts and comments to read.
They made me realize that my ā€œhard-for-meā€-list is much longer than in my earlier post. Reminded me of good, old Aristotle ā€œThe more you know, the more you realize you donā€™t knowā€
Well, it seems a beginner like me doesnā€™t know much yet :innocent:
I guess thereā€™s a lot of work waiting for me in the next Grades!

And one more ā€œhard-for-meā€ thing Iā€™m currently struggling with is ā€¦

GAS. :smiling_face:

Before joining JG and spending (too much? :wink:) time in this wonderful forum I didnā€™t even know that such a thing exists - and now Iā€™m severely infected.
I have two very nice guitars already. They play well and are very dear to me. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with them. So why am I thinking about a third guitar all the time? Thatā€™s crazy!
Whatā€™s wrong with me? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been following this topic with great interest! Still a beginner, I fall solidly into the ā€œjust about everything is hard for meā€ camp, and agree with those who observe that this is natural for a beginner.

With that said, what is currently hard-for-me is less a skill or technique, and isnā€™t even rational :rofl:. Iā€™m having difficulty appreciating and embracing my progress, especially when hitting those inevitable low-slope sections of the learning curve, and accepting the limitations of my innate talent. I try to draw comparisons with other things Iā€™ve learned to do in life, and find that those often had specific targets or metrics attached. I used to run (still do, but much less and certainly more slowly), where things like a target 10k time or a Boston-qualifying marathon time are specific and measurable, progress is easily tracked, and there is an understanding that each human has their physical limits. I worked in IT, and was able to combine my knowledge and skills with the work of others to accomplish a goal. Of course there are many parallels in guitar land: counting chord changes, tracking bpm at which we can play a song, sharing techniques for conquering barre chords or strumming patterns, and realizing that - hey! I couldnā€™t play that song/strumming pattern/embellishment at all last month! The list goes on. As I said, the struggle isnā€™t rational, Thank you for the therapy session! :laughing:

3 Likes

It can be really difficult to aim for specific goals in guitar as a measure success.

There is no ā€œ10kā€ mark, chord changes per minute is an exercise not a goal.

Even ā€œbeing able to play a songā€ is a tough goal because it is a moving target. Even when I can ā€œplayā€ it, I can learn to play it better and better, never quite being good enough as my skills improve.

Far better to seek short term goals and focus on the enjoyment of continual learning and improvement.

4 Likes

I think youā€™re over thinking this to much. Even with a 10 K marker you could always do better/faster. Every skill a person learns is a moving target. Just aiming at a target is a good starting point.
If you never start you will never finish.

2 Likes

Wow, that a great topic, JK!

So much interesting posts in it already - thanks to all contributors.

This little thing is giving me headaches:

e---X----|
b---8----|
g---7----|
D---9----|
A---10---|
E---X----|

and its usage in context - I have really small hands and a short pinky. Iā€™m working on a progression with this one in for months know and itā€™s slowly getting better.

Second thing I really need to put effort in to get it under my fingers: legato pentatonic scale.

2 Likes