What level of guitarist are you article by Justin

Just come across this article by Justin

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Michael.

Reading through the desciptions, I can tick a few boxes at all three levels :rofl:

5 Likes

All of us have an intermediate and advanced player in us :smiley:

1 Like

not to mention a beginner :wink:

3 Likes

ā€œTo get from intermediate grades a student shouldā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.be good enough to play in a band or jam on songs they know.ā€

Ah well. Iā€™m enjoying what Iā€™m doing. I donā€™t want/need a label. :smiley:

6 Likes

I have some advanced level experience with beginner skills. No commonality with intermediate players whatsoever :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve not watched it as I generally avoid labels but if you asked me my level, Iā€™d give the stock answer I have used for years. That is I am an Advanced Beginner, as I am always learning somethings new. Therefore I will always be a beginner.

9 Likes

For some reason I always have to ask myself this. Itā€™s probably because I try to structure everything that I do so I need to place myself before I can structure how to move forward. According to Justinā€™s article Iā€™d be an advancing beginner, maybe really early intermediate. Iā€™m only just starting to get into the stuff that he mentions in the intermediate sections.

The label is meaningless really beyond personal introspection. I need it to have a good idea of where I am and where I should go but beyond that itā€™s really arbitrary.

2 Likes

Perhaps in order to progress faster we should be joining the ā€˜Class of 23ā€™.

2 Likes

7 Likes

4 Likes

100% Beginner

6 Likes

My level is '60s garage band rhythm guitarist/pentatonic noodler, and campfire strummer.

4 Likes

Alas, I am still just a beginner. But thatā€™s better than a pre=beginner who knows NOTHING! :rofl:

3 Likes

I guess Iā€™m an early stage intermediate. The classifications line up with Justinā€™s learning grades and Iā€™m doing grade 4 now so that makes sense!

2 Likes

Or the ā€œClub of 27ā€, although gotta admit Iā€™m a bit late for that. :joy:

1 Like

I really donā€™t pay attention to what level I am at. Itā€™s taken a while but I am comfortable playing what I enjoy and although every new song still needs to be learned, I am confident that I have most of the skills I need to be able to learn what I want. Most of all I am having fun and have found a hobby to see me through to old age.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a beginner, obviously, which makes sense as Iā€™m in the second of Justinā€™s three beginner grades. I agree with the sentiment expressed by many that labels donā€™t matter in some grand sense (i.e., Iā€™m not ever going to put my guitar learning grade on my email salutation.). On the other hand, some, like myself, like the idea of levels or grades because they give us goals to strive for. As such, I really like how Justinā€™s system lays out concrete goals for each grade. I like the game-ified nature of this system.

Frankly, Iā€™m a bit afraid of the Intermediate levels which loom ahead because of how Justin says (in that article, but also on his site), how in those levels you have to start choosing what to pursue. I am, by nature, one of those students who wants to learn it all. I could become paralyzed by indecision if asked to pick what to learn. I like having the objective laid out before me. My swimming coach in high school once gave us a practice set to practice whatever we wanted, and I basically clowned around until he gave me some suggestions. (I started making things up, such as trying to swim Butterfly on my back. That was very difficult. I didnā€™t even swim Fly in competition or practice, as I was mostly a long-distance Freestyle and Backstroke swimmer.)

2 Likes

Hi Michael, thanks for sharing this.

I started basic fingerstyle pattern practise followed by sixteenth note strumming from day one. That does not make me an instant intermediate player lol.

ā€œBeginnerā€, ā€œintermediateā€ and ā€œadvancedā€ thing is just a easy way we want to categorize the lessons into, depends on the insructors some lessons might be deemed too hard, or easy, so the teachings are categorize in such a way. Justinā€™s course are well planned and we could follow it at ease, and at our pace.

If I want to learn something I would dive into specific thing and learn it, quoting the words from Fred Trump:
Get in.
Get it done.
Get it done right.
And get out.

Hope it helps! =)

What level am I?

5 Likes