What should my 2nd guitar be?

Iā€™d go acoustic/electric all day.

I have a Martin X-series special that I LOVE, but I also have a nice Alvarez (about $200 cheaper than the Martin) that has great sound and a great tone as well. Lots of good recommendations above in this thread, but in general, if you have a nice electric already, go for the acoustic. And maybe your 3rd is a hollow body :+1:

:+1: :rofl:

1 Like

If you want another guitar, Iā€™d recommend looking at something thatā€™s a little different, like an electric with two humbuckers. My first guitar was an SSH, and my next was an HH with a coil split on the neck.

Itā€™s worth going to a guitar store and trying out guitars even as a beginner, because just holding the guitar and strumming a few chords is enough to let you know if a guitar feels comfortable to hold. For example, many people love Les Pauls, but some people find them uncomfortable. As another example, trying out an Ibanez S helped me realize that I really like light guitars, and something light and slim like the Ibanez S is great for me.

Also, Iā€™m not sure what amp you have, but if youā€™re happy with your guitar than an amp or pedals may make more sense.

2 Likes

Thanks
Iā€™m thinking about the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, so that would be an HH

Problem I have is I donā€™t have any stores nearby that have them in stock so need to travel if I want to pick it up and try before buying. I might just need to do that though

I have a Positive Grid Spark amp, no pedals so thatā€™s something Iā€™ll look at in the future too

Acoustic Guitar and Electric Guitar :guitar::guitar::guitar::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:. Who feels good ? :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::gift_heart:

Soooo, I travelled to a shop with the intention of trying the Epiphone 60ā€™s or rather the Epiphone Les Paul Custom I liked the look of.

Also tried a Gibson ā€˜Lessā€™ Paul that was a dream to play. The Custom definitely not as nice. Then the guy running the shop said theyā€™d just got another Les Paul in. Tried it, loved it, bought it (well the wife did as a present)

Here she is

6 Likes

Such a beautiful guitar that your cats seem to appreciate it! Congrats and enjoy!

1 Like

Looks super happy NGD :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Amazingā€¦Happy NGD :sunglasses: :partying_face:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Oahhhh, I truly envy you! What a superb instrument! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

haha yeah that was the best pics I could get without them trying to climb on it!

Congratulations on a beautiful present! My goal is to get good enough at playing that I can justify buying a Les Paul one day :smiley:

1 Like

Firas I will offer some reverse logic.

Buy yourself a Les Paul and take it with you on the journey to realise that dream.

In this game there is always something new to learn, something new to develop and as Justin has said (and I likely misquote) the more I know, the more I know there is even more to know. Its never stops, Get the LP now, you now it makes sense. Donā€™t wait.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Me too haha

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Toby. Iā€™ve only been playing less than 3 weeks, but Iā€™ve been practicing 1-2 hours every day since I bought my Squier Affinity Strat. My wife has officially dubbed me obsessed :smiley:

Iā€™ve almost completed Grade 1 (just one more module to go) but Iā€™ve been eyeing this Epiphone Les Paul Modern (Faded Pelham Blue) for the past week. Your reverse logic makes perfect sense to me and Iā€™ll have to visit the guitar store soon and see if it feels as good as it looks online. I know a bit more about guitars now and can actually play a few riffs, all the major open chords and some basic versions of the songs from the lessons here, so hopefully I can make a better informed decision on my upcoming guitar purchase this time round.

If I do end up buying it, itā€™ll definitely make the guitar playing learning journey that much more sweeter and enjoyable :smiley: And if my wife gives me any funny looks after buying another guitar, Iā€™ll just tell her that Toby made me do it :joy:

3 Likes

You are doing great being able to do all that after 3 weeks!!

1 Like

Thanks Paul. Iā€™m surprised myself. Just goes to show how amazing Justinā€™s teaching methodology is along with all the helpful tools heā€™s provided on this site (songbook, play along videos, and most of all the customizable practice assistant).

1 Like

Still got my old Affinity that my wife bought me for my 40th over a quarter of a century ago !
Itā€™s been upgraded a little but is still part of my stable. It will serve you well sir !
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

wow thats good going!! That guitar could tell some stories

2 Likes

@MrPB Paul, thank you so much for starting this thread, it fueled my urge to start looking at a better guitar to continue my learning journey with (specifically a Les Paul style guitar which Iā€™ve always wanted).

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby, thank you for your reverse logic advice. I was still reluctant and thought I was just looking for excuses to buy a better guitar, but your advice is sound and itā€™s paid off for sure.

I stopped by one of only two music stores in Kuwait today (Gibson & Epiphone dealer). I was in luck, because they only stock one of each model of guitar (itā€™s a really small store) and they had the Epiphone Les Paul Modern in the two colors I was interested in: Graphite Black and Faded Pelham Blue. I ended up going with the Graphite Black as the blue one changes colors with the light and ends up looking green, and the Graphite Black has a bit of a subtle sparkle pattern and not just a standard glossy black which looks better in real life than in the pictures/videos Iā€™ve seen.

Aesthetics aside, having checked a few ā€œhow to buy a new guitarā€ videos on YouTube plus with the few weeks of play time with my Squier Affinity HSS (starter pack model), I knew what to look for this time. First thing, the fretboard is smooth and the frets nicely rounded (can barely feel them) which made playing the few riffs I knew a pleasure as opposed to torturous (my Squier actually shredded the side of my left index finger). Tried all the various volume, tone, and phase knobs and the tone options are astounding and while they were all very unique, they all sounded great unlike on my Squier. Once I got home and plugged it into my starter practice amp (Fender Frontman 15G) it was much louder and clearer than my Squier, and when I turned on the overdrive the riffs I played sounded like actual rock music (my Squier just sounded noisy). I guess I just prefer humbuckers in general which is what I mostly played with on my Squier. Finally, the neck dive that drove me crazy on my Squier Strat is non-existent on the Epiphone LP Modern. I can actually play it sitting down without a strap which I struggled to do before. I was also relieved that the weight difference is not an issue for me, while slightly heavier, itā€™s not that noticeable which is probably a feature of the weight relief on the Modern version.

Overall, Iā€™m ecstatic with my purchase! The fit and finish is a huge upgrade from my starter guitar, it feels beautiful to play and the tone options are limitless. Thank you both again for your support and advice. Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread Paul, but your experience was the catalyst for mine so I though Iā€™d share mine here as well for others that might be in the same boat :smiley:

2 Likes