WHat songs can I use to practice 5th string root minor barre chords

Can I ask what songs people are using to practice the getting the E shaped barre chord using the 5th string root? Justin recommends ‘I shot the Sherriff’ so that on the list, and at the moment I am trying ‘Why does it always rain on me’, ‘Man who sold the World’, and ‘Killing Moon’.
What have other people found useful for practicing this?

Graham @Huderstub
I am slightly puzzled, E shaped barre chords use the 6th string root did you mean A shaped which uses 5th string root.
Michael

I may be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time! I thought that when using the 5th string root with an A shape on the 5th string that gives the major chord and the E shape gives the minor. For example, taking an E shape barre at the 3rd fret on the 6th string gives G major, and shifting that shape to the 5th string would give a C minor?

1 Like

You can play any song with a minor chord with this shape. If you’re really keen you can play Aminor on the 12th fret…Paul Kossoff played the “All Right Now” part there when the vocal goes to All Right Now in the chorus. The chords are Amin (orA5), G, D and back to A

The other is the good old Bminor which Justin teaches in “You Do Something To Me” by Paul Weller. This might be a Bmin7 but you just have to take your pinky off for that barre chord…

Graham @Huderstub
I expect you are aware that Justin covers E and A shaped barre chords in great detail in Grades 4 and 5.
Michael

1 Like

If you really want to practice your Eminor chops up on the 7th fret try Cocaine; no I meant the song by Eric Clapton/JJ Cale:

@Huderstub you’re getting some really bad information.

First off the shape you are asking about is an A minor Shaped chord not E shaped.
When the root is on the 5th string they are either A shape (Major or minor) or C shaped (no need to get into these yet)

Second Cocain is played with power chords not E minor shaped barre chords. E shaped minor barre chords are played with the root on the E String and use all 6 strings.

1 Like

OK sorry I got confused with this when I thought the OP was talking about minor barre chords with the root on the 5th:

I think the confusion comes from the lesson having 2 descriptions:
E Shape Barre Chords: Minor
E Minor Shape Barre Chords

Not the same thing or maybe they are.

Thanks Rory, I’ll have a look at the Paul Weller song.

Great song, I’ll definitely have a look at that.

Many, many songs feature Bm, of course (Bm occurs in 3 guitar-friendly keys: D, G and A). Two that come to mind that that use Bm and C#m together:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Am version) and Out on the Weekend.

Wicked Game starts on Bmin and is just the same 3 chords repeating throughout: Bmin, A, E.

Now this thread has been moved then the song Cocaine does become relevant. Last time I looked Cocaine is in the key of E minor and is played on the 7th fret.

Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb” is a good one - Bm in the verse.

I know this is not part of the song library here but Bod Dylan (Lay Lady Lay).
Uses all E shape bar cords (minor/Major) only diff cord is an E cord and F#m.

Cord sequence using e shape is: Amaj to C#m to Gmaj to Bm.
pre chorus is E to F#m to Amaj
chorus is C#m to E to F#m to Amaj then C#m to Bm.

Good bar cord work out, listen to the tune a few times and you should be able to get the beat.

Cheers

1 Like

I explained this wrong. It uses e shape bar cords rooted on the sixth string and uses Am shape bar cords rooted on the 5th string.

psst! barre chords (sorry, couldn’t help myself).