What was I thinking? Uh oh - NGD!

Thank you Rogier! Fortunately, I donā€™t have to worry too much about weight but this one is fairly lightā€¦ 6.25 pounds/2.85 kilograms! Joy to play!

Tod

1 Like

Itā€™s beautiful. Love the color! Happy NGD!

1 Like

Lovely guitar, happy NGD.

R

Helen, you almost got it rightā€¦ Deep breath, keep calm and find your credit card!!!
This purchase is one of those thingsā€¦ wasnā€™t planning it, didnā€™t expect it but Iā€™m happy I bought it because it is a truly beautiful instrument that is so sweet to play!

Thanks for your kind words & it wasnā€™t Spring Fever - more like ā€œFeverā€ as sung by Elvis!!!

Tod

Thanks a lot Mark @Notter !
The look of this guitar is a more modern take on Dā€™Angelicoā€™s Art-Deco style. The ā€œFā€ holes are a bit straighter than their traditional ones. The headstock is similar to a Gibson ā€œopen bookā€ look. It is a semi-hollow with PAF sounding pickupsā€¦ only one tone & one volume knob, which is the only drawback I think.
As far as playability, the action is low - maybe not ā€œshredderā€ style low but nice. The frets have the nicest finish of any other make guitar I have ever played - including the ONE that I own which has been Plekked. Iā€™ve had it less than a week & feel that itā€™s definitely a keeper!
My other Dā€™Angelicos are the Deluxe SS LE in Sapphire Blue, the Excel 59 Hollowbody with Seymour Duncan P-90s in Black Dog finish with a Bigsby style whammy & the Premier Bowery in Transparent Black Cherry. All of them are easy to play & none of them have had issues - they are just about perfect right out of the box.
If it says anything about the brand in general, I prefer them over my Gibson Les Paul or my PRS Zach Meyer Semi-Hollow SE (which was also perfect out of the box). The Gibson was supposedly Plekked at the factory but mine arrived with fret sprout & intonation problemsā€¦ they paid for the corrective work but stillā€¦ when youā€™re paying Gibson prices you expect better.
My recommendation, give one a try & Iā€™ll be surprised if youā€™re not pleasantly surprised at what you get for the money!
Done ranting!!!

Tod

1 Like

Hi Jasmine & Thanks! Blue ---- my favorite color ----- I LOVE blue guitars!!!

Red guitar, yeah whateverā€¦ Natural finish, mehā€¦ Black, not one of my faves but BLUEā€¦ Come to Papa!!!

You canā€™t really tell from the pic, the cajon is blue on the top, sides & back!!! I also have a couple of blue ā€œBluesā€ harmonicas!!! Now, if I could just paly ANY of them wellā€¦ that would be a big achievement for me!!!

Youā€™re right about the smell as well! Acoustics that are built with exotic woods smell incredible!!!

Thanks again! Tod

1 Like

Gracias Toby!
Having a blast after everyone else is gone from work & the volume knob gets abused (my ears havenā€™t started bleeding yet!!!) Seriously, this is going to be a ā€œgo toā€ axe for me!!!

Tod

Danke Franz,
I definitely do appreciate the fact that Iā€™m a lucky guyā€¦ as I jokingly mentioned up-thread, my wife saw me waffling about whether or not to buy this one & encouraged me to go aheadā€¦ after all, itā€™s not often that something youā€™ve been really wanting costs hundreds of dollars less than it was a year ago! She never complains about my obsession! :crazy_face:

Tod

2 Likes

Many thanks, Nicole!
Iā€™m having fun, for sure! I think my acoustic guitars are getting jealousā€¦ Iā€™m loving playing ā€œPlugged Inā€ so much!!!

Tod

1 Like

Really appreciate the detailed overview Tod, so many guitars out there :wink:.

Sounds like youā€™ve bagged (another!) fine one, enjoy :+1::heart::guitar:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff! Iā€™m a proud new Dad this week & wanted to show off my new baby!!!

Tod

1 Like

Thanks Rachel!
I hope your search bears some beautiful fruit!!! Good luck to you!!!

Tod

1 Like

Tod, thatā€™s a really nice looking guitar. Now you will have me looking online to check this model out. Iā€™ve looked at the Epiphone ES-339s, but never had considered this brand. I always thought of them as more of a jazz guitar.

1 Like

Thanks Steve! They are really versatileā€¦ their ā€œbig brothersā€ the DC mini & DC (not the Tour models) have coil splitting capability for a single-coil sound alsoā€¦ I LOVE the Dā€™Angelico modelsā€¦ if I ever get into Jazzā€¦ Hmmmmmmā€¦ might have to talk to my wifeā€¦ :smiling_imp:!!!
There are quite a few reviews available to watch on UTube, Sandra Sherman does an interesting one as does Phillip McKnight. Sean Daniels is a Dā€™Angelico artist who really likes the brand & has a ā€œone year laterā€ videoā€¦
Have fun!!!

Tod

3 Likes

That is one really cool guitar, lovely colour too - itā€™s made me think that I need a hollow or semi hollow body - noā€¦. noā€¦ā€¦ no must resist :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Edit: Sandra Sherman is great, I learned a lot from her!

2 Likes

:rofl: I was just starting to think that I might need one of these Dā€™Angelico guitars too, or something similar :grin: It sounds great!
Iā€™m saving up for a new uke first though but I think maybe the seed has been planted on this one :thinking:

Most definitely agree with this! :sunflower:

1 Like

Thanks Darrell!
You know what they say, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! I canā€™t really say which one is my favoriteā€¦ love all my guitars BUT the most amazing tone I get is from the Deluxe 59. Itā€™s a hollowbody with P-90s & is so articulate with this incredible woody soundā€¦ not an inexpensive guitar but very sweet! Check 'em out!!!
I saw your post a few minutes ago about your 2 new guitars! The wood grain on your acoustic is amazing!!! Wow!!! Iā€™d never heard of that company beforeā€¦ gotta find some time to browseā€¦ (just looking, I promise)!!!

Tod

Maybe I shouldnā€™t mention itā€¦

Dā€™Angelico make some pretty ukes alsoā€¦ just sayinā€™ :grin:

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=3a7530392facf170JmltdHM9MTcwOTI1MTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0yZjMxYzU4MC02OGUzLTY5NjItMjI2OC1kNjkzNmNlMzZmMzMmaW5zaWQ9NTgxNA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=2f31c580-68e3-6962-2268-d6936ce36f33&u=a1L3ZpZGVvcy9yaXZlcnZpZXcvcmVsYXRlZHZpZGVvP3E9ZGFuZ2VsaWNvK3VrZSZtaWQ9NEFEOTAwMjFGMTc0RDQxOTcyMUY0QUQ5MDAyMUYxNzRENDE5NzIxRiZGT1JNPVZJUkU&ntb=1

Tod

2 Likes

Sweet! Thanks! :smiley: :sunflower:

1 Like