What was I thinking? Uh oh - NGD!

Thank you Rogier! Fortunately, I don’t have to worry too much about weight but this one is fairly light… 6.25 pounds/2.85 kilograms! Joy to play!

Tod

1 Like

It’s beautiful. Love the color! Happy NGD!

1 Like

Lovely guitar, happy NGD.

R

Helen, you almost got it right… Deep breath, keep calm and find your credit card!!!
This purchase is one of those things… wasn’t planning it, didn’t expect it but I’m happy I bought it because it is a truly beautiful instrument that is so sweet to play!

Thanks for your kind words & it wasn’t Spring Fever - more like “Fever” as sung by Elvis!!!

Tod

Thanks a lot Mark @Notter !
The look of this guitar is a more modern take on D’Angelico’s Art-Deco style. The “F” holes are a bit straighter than their traditional ones. The headstock is similar to a Gibson “open book” look. It is a semi-hollow with PAF sounding pickups… only one tone & one volume knob, which is the only drawback I think.
As far as playability, the action is low - maybe not “shredder” style low but nice. The frets have the nicest finish of any other make guitar I have ever played - including the ONE that I own which has been Plekked. I’ve had it less than a week & feel that it’s definitely a keeper!
My other D’Angelicos are the Deluxe SS LE in Sapphire Blue, the Excel 59 Hollowbody with Seymour Duncan P-90s in Black Dog finish with a Bigsby style whammy & the Premier Bowery in Transparent Black Cherry. All of them are easy to play & none of them have had issues - they are just about perfect right out of the box.
If it says anything about the brand in general, I prefer them over my Gibson Les Paul or my PRS Zach Meyer Semi-Hollow SE (which was also perfect out of the box). The Gibson was supposedly Plekked at the factory but mine arrived with fret sprout & intonation problems… they paid for the corrective work but still… when you’re paying Gibson prices you expect better.
My recommendation, give one a try & I’ll be surprised if you’re not pleasantly surprised at what you get for the money!
Done ranting!!!

Tod

1 Like

Hi Jasmine & Thanks! Blue ---- my favorite color ----- I LOVE blue guitars!!!

Red guitar, yeah whatever… Natural finish, meh… Black, not one of my faves but BLUE… Come to Papa!!!

You can’t really tell from the pic, the cajon is blue on the top, sides & back!!! I also have a couple of blue “Blues” harmonicas!!! Now, if I could just paly ANY of them well… that would be a big achievement for me!!!

You’re right about the smell as well! Acoustics that are built with exotic woods smell incredible!!!

Thanks again! Tod

1 Like

Gracias Toby!
Having a blast after everyone else is gone from work & the volume knob gets abused (my ears haven’t started bleeding yet!!!) Seriously, this is going to be a “go to” axe for me!!!

Tod

Danke Franz,
I definitely do appreciate the fact that I’m a lucky guy… as I jokingly mentioned up-thread, my wife saw me waffling about whether or not to buy this one & encouraged me to go ahead… after all, it’s not often that something you’ve been really wanting costs hundreds of dollars less than it was a year ago! She never complains about my obsession! :crazy_face:

Tod

2 Likes

Many thanks, Nicole!
I’m having fun, for sure! I think my acoustic guitars are getting jealous… I’m loving playing “Plugged In” so much!!!

Tod

1 Like

Really appreciate the detailed overview Tod, so many guitars out there :wink:.

Sounds like you’ve bagged (another!) fine one, enjoy :+1::heart::guitar:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff! I’m a proud new Dad this week & wanted to show off my new baby!!!

Tod

1 Like

Thanks Rachel!
I hope your search bears some beautiful fruit!!! Good luck to you!!!

Tod

1 Like

Tod, that’s a really nice looking guitar. Now you will have me looking online to check this model out. I’ve looked at the Epiphone ES-339s, but never had considered this brand. I always thought of them as more of a jazz guitar.

1 Like

Thanks Steve! They are really versatile… their “big brothers” the DC mini & DC (not the Tour models) have coil splitting capability for a single-coil sound also… I LOVE the D’Angelico models… if I ever get into Jazz… Hmmmmmm… might have to talk to my wife… :smiling_imp:!!!
There are quite a few reviews available to watch on UTube, Sandra Sherman does an interesting one as does Phillip McKnight. Sean Daniels is a D’Angelico artist who really likes the brand & has a “one year later” video…
Have fun!!!

Tod

3 Likes

That is one really cool guitar, lovely colour too - it’s made me think that I need a hollow or semi hollow body - no…. no…… no must resist :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Edit: Sandra Sherman is great, I learned a lot from her!

2 Likes

:rofl: I was just starting to think that I might need one of these D’Angelico guitars too, or something similar :grin: It sounds great!
I’m saving up for a new uke first though but I think maybe the seed has been planted on this one :thinking:

Most definitely agree with this! :sunflower:

1 Like

Thanks Darrell!
You know what they say, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! I can’t really say which one is my favorite… love all my guitars BUT the most amazing tone I get is from the Deluxe 59. It’s a hollowbody with P-90s & is so articulate with this incredible woody sound… not an inexpensive guitar but very sweet! Check 'em out!!!
I saw your post a few minutes ago about your 2 new guitars! The wood grain on your acoustic is amazing!!! Wow!!! I’d never heard of that company before… gotta find some time to browse… (just looking, I promise)!!!

Tod

Maybe I shouldn’t mention it…

D’Angelico make some pretty ukes also… just sayin’ :grin:

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=3a7530392facf170JmltdHM9MTcwOTI1MTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0yZjMxYzU4MC02OGUzLTY5NjItMjI2OC1kNjkzNmNlMzZmMzMmaW5zaWQ9NTgxNA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=2f31c580-68e3-6962-2268-d6936ce36f33&u=a1L3ZpZGVvcy9yaXZlcnZpZXcvcmVsYXRlZHZpZGVvP3E9ZGFuZ2VsaWNvK3VrZSZtaWQ9NEFEOTAwMjFGMTc0RDQxOTcyMUY0QUQ5MDAyMUYxNzRENDE5NzIxRiZGT1JNPVZJUkU&ntb=1

Tod

2 Likes

Sweet! Thanks! :smiley: :sunflower:

1 Like