What's it like to be a session player

Yesterday I was watching guitar-related videos on YouTube and Rick Beato’s videos kept popping up in the recommendations. Had to Google him as his name wasn’t familiar to me. I watched a couple of his videos and found this interview he made with a pro session guitarist, Tim Pierce. Had to Google him too as session guys don’t get name-dropped very often nowadays.

However, despite not being familiar with them, the discussion turned out to be quite interesting, and I think it also relates to a recent trend on how we can become more musical. Though being a session player requires very specific skills, I think this video can provide food for thought for all of us.

I hope it’s OK if I share this with you.

4 Likes

Thanks for the share, Rick Beato has some fascinating material

1 Like

I have so much respect for the top session players like Tim Pierce and Tom Bukovac. I follow both closely, Rick Beato less so. They are so well rounded and can play just about anything on the fly. They have set the bar for my musical path.

2 Likes

One more googling for me, I didn’t know what a session player was :sweat_smile:

Thank you for sharing, I saved it for later

Very interesting talking, but for beginners it is to hard, I thing. It is interesting to see how the knowledge of this people can move us to continue listening even if we cannot comprehended all.

2 Likes

This music stuff is hard. If it was easy anyone could do it. No matter what your skill level you can still listen to advanced music and listen to proficient players talk about making music. Never compare yourself to other players – it’s not a competition. This is the golden age of guitars, you can get good instruments for little cash, and there are free lessons from some of the best pros. Enjoy!

3 Likes

You may also be interested in this:

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Vic Flick famous for the “James Bond Theme” but also did session work for alot of big names… Zeppelin, Clapton, McCartney and lots more.

Dave

Jimmy Page did a lot of session work before Led Zep, it’s what made him so good!
I have a friend who is a session guitarist, she has been for quite a while, the things they are expected to do are mind blowing - one instance was where she was called in to back Jess Glynn, she had the complete set to learn in a week; it just blows my mind to think about even trying to do that!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Jozsef, quite OK.

So many YTers out there who can share interesting information and help one to learn. Just have to be careful as one can easily end up down a YT rabbit hole into a vast warren.

1 Like

And Steve Lukather, of Toto fame, has his fingerprints across an incredible catalogue of records, as does Nile Rodgers, whose Strat is known as “The Hitmaker” (although, in many of those case, he was also the Producer).

On the bass side, there’s people like Leland Sklar and Pino Palladino.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

If you ever get a chance to check out “The Wrecking Crew” movie be sure not to miss it:

2 Likes

Also Ron Carter. He played on thousands of sessions apart from being in Miles Davis’ second great quintet. I wonder when he had the time to actually prepare for those recordings.

1 Like