What's your favourite ~30 minute guitar practice?

I always go for the basics: practice in one key for a month or until you’re done with it;
arpeggios/chords,
scales practiced with a specific technique,
licks (improv),
learning a song
and lately I’ve added Original song to the list. That’s not for everyday but it’s an idea I had to make a short song in each key.

1 Like

Currently, I’m mostly just pounding away at position 1 of the C, G, D, A and E major scales. I have achieved 150bpm with the C and E scales. When I’ve got the others up to that speed I’ll start Justin’s suggested routine for working towards improv (random reversals, random notes, playing in thirds and four in a line).

I’m also practicing 6th string barre chords. I’ve seen a big improvement there.

1 Like

Sitting for 30 mins playing around with my dreamer kind of song, I think that’s my favourite part of practice atm :slight_smile:

1 Like

My favorite 30 mins of guitar practice right now is the time I’m spending playing chords to songs I have selected. I find working on a few different songs gives me enough variety not to get bored and gives me different challenges to work through. My self confidence is really growing as a result too. I no longer feel like it’s impossible for me to play along to some songs. As long as I’m learning and improving day by day I’m a happy camper.

3 Likes

My favourite practice at the moment is two handed tapping scales, it’s something rather more advanced than most of you will be doing but something I like - I mostly don’t use it for Metal stuff, just melodies.

1 Like

The practice time spent on dreamer songs is my favourite…getting inspired, exploring something I really love, wondering “will I ever get there?”, and identifying the next small step to be taken and focussing on one aspect at the time, without putting too much pressure on myself…it’s a dreamer song after all, and in dreamland the concept “too high” doesn’t exist!

1 Like