When do we learn how to play notes?

Hi All, I am a newbie and I am on module 2, Grade 1. I like that we are learning the chords but in which grade/module do we learn how to play individual notes? Thank you

1 Like

Welcome, @Rcelik !

1 Like

Sooner than later! In my opinion, playing individual notes is much more difficult than playing open chords, specifically when it comes to keeping a rhythm and switching strings.

I would recommend working on starting to memorize the fretboard right away, at least up to the 12th fret. This will take some time but will make your transition to note playing easier at the beginning, when you know what notes you are playing!

It’s coming up very soon in module 2 - The Peter Gunn riff

Later lessons will show you

• Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
  • Come As You Are - Nirvana
  • Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Search for them if you want to jump ahead. But be warned…you might find the last two to be quite difficult.

1 Like

For me, chords were more difficult than single notes at first.

It really depends on the student, I think.

1 Like

Thanks Traveler, appreciate it. I am actually trying to memorize the fret board even though that topic hasn’t come up yet.

1 Like

I don’t plan on skipping ahead, just was curious about when it will happen. Thank you

2 Likes

The Justin Guitar note trainer app really helped me :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning that, I will definitely check it out.

1 Like

Depending on what exactly you want to learn, you may want to check out Justin’s Note Reading Book

Note Reading For Guitar | JustinGuitar.com