When is it time to replace strings

Hi all,

Apart from the obvious snapped string, when should I consider changing strings? What should I be listening or looking out for? Or is it an amount of time thing (based on daily play)?

Cheers,
Christian.

1 Like

It varies by type of string, humidity, your own body chemistry (how much your hands perspire, acidity, etc.) Coated strings last longer. Humid, salt air (oceanfront) corrodes them more quickly.

When they start to feel a little rough on the non-wound strings is a clue. I change the strings on my electric about every three months, but my acoustic uses coated strings (Elixir phosphor bronze) so I change them about every six months.

The guitars always sound noticeably better with fresh strings, but the tone degrades so slowly that I don’t notice it until I put on fresh ones.

5 Likes

Same here. Unless they start to sound off to me beforehand, its every 3 months in the calendar.

Cheers, Shane

4 Likes

Some people change them daily (pro’s) some monthly/bi monthly

I usually leave them on for … well too long…

3 Likes

Thanks all! Great advice.

1 Like

There is no wrong or right answer. If there is tuning instability, noticeable crud and corrosion, and/or dull tone, you are probably overdue. When in doubt change your strings. Get good at string changes.

2 Likes

On my acoustic I use coated strings (Elixirs) and typically change every 6 months or so. Every time I do I make a mental note to change the strings earlier. Last time I changed after 3 months. Visually you could see the wear quite noticeably (which is easier with the coated strings)

1 Like

I find the strings won’t keep in tune when it’s time for a string change. The more you doit the better you get at it of course.
I posted this a while back.
I’ve changed my strings!

1 Like

8 Likes

Unless you’re performing/recording and want your guitar to sound at it’s absolute best, I don’t think it really matters. Change them when you feel they sound crap, or when they won’t stay in tune. My last set saw daily use for six months and still sounded fine for practice. Only changed them because one finally snapped.

1 Like

Being a heathen, I can never hear any difference in sound even when the strings go unchanged for a year. So I only change when they break or Im embarrassed about how bad they look.

2 Likes

I used to be pretty lax about changing strings, but lately I’ve found myself doing it more often. I think the sound and feel of new strings is worth the trouble (in fact, I’d say the feel of new strings is just as important as the sound). Depending on how much I’m playing a particular set I tend to change them after 2-4 weeks, on average. There’s no “right” answer, though. I’d say if the strings sound dead, feel rough, or are dirty or visibly discolored then that’s a signal that a string change is probably in order. Ultimately it comes down to preference, I suppose.

2 Likes

Short arms, deep pockets but when they sound dull, ship them out and strap some new ones on. :+1: for Elixir coated they last longer.

@brianlarsen

1 Like

I usually change mine about every 3 months and that’s with playing maybe 5 hours per week. If they get dull with more playing then maybe every 2 months.

1 Like

Might have to get a bumper pack of strings in the post xmas sales

1 Like

Obviously when they can no longer be tuned, but a pro guitarist told me to change strings when they stop going out of tune after a couple of days. The strings have lost their elasticity at this point. Made sense to me.

1 Like

I had an acoustic with strings from 24 years ago was still holding tune fine… :smiley:

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes