When you hear music does it remind you of a certain place or time?

I just got “Virtuoso” by Joe Pass and I feel like I should be eating at Olive Garden. :joy:
It’s a very pretty album that makes me want to play around with scales and improvisations.

Oh, absolutely. I’m a Viet Nam veteran. There are several songs I strongly associate with that time. “We Gotta Get Out of This Place” by The Animals. “I’m Your Captain/Closer to Home” by Grand Funk Railroad. “Paint it Black” by the Rolling Stones. I could go on.

2 Likes

@markr31 My dads a Vietnam Vet I wonder if he knows those songs? :grinning: I know “Paint it Black” but not the other two.

He almost certainly knows those.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

He ended up hurt and disabled in 69’ and was brought back home but I will ask him if he knows those next time we talk!!

I’m sorry to hear that. I was very fortunate that my older brother and I both came home without a scratch.

Give him my best.

I’m glad to hear you both came home ok. I will! He has leukemia now But he’s truckin’ along just like he always does! He’s the bravest man I have ever known.

Yes! Some music that I listened to in college, when I hear it now, I’m transported back to my old apartment that I lived in then. It’s a weird feeling but most of the time I like it when it happens.

2 Likes

All. The .Time. There’s hardly a song that goes by (well, on my playlists, that is, sometimes on the radio) that doesn’t make me remember a time and/or place .Or nudges me to go and play the guitar to have a go at that specifc chord progression or notes. But then i realise that most of time, when this happens, i’m at work, and there’s no guitar around. :pensive:

1 Like

@GrytPipe Sounds like you need to work in a guitar shop! Or a job so boring that they let you just play around with musical instruments. Tin whistles are portable and kind of fun. :upside_down_face: :smiley:

@artax_2 Yeah my college days remind me of “Iron Man” because my art teacher wrote “Ozzy Rules” on my paper. He must have seen me that day singing along in my car! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is something i’ve been contemplating. The only thing holding me back is that the pay is not near to what i get now. (and i need that atm)
In regards to boredom, i’m there. My job is pretty boring right now, but they won’t let me play the guitar… :roll_eyes:
I might have a go and look at those tin whistles… I don’t see a problem with that at my current job…yet… :laughing:

1 Like

@GrytPipe Could you write out tabs or lyrics on paper to keep you entertained? :grinning:

Oh absolutely. Music brings back memories of times, places, people. Mostly happy but sometimes sad.

Often referred to as The Music of Your Life

1 Like

I have a lot of music that takes me back to high school, college, the music in my first car, the music I was into learning guitar, the music I heard when I was young (Dutch “kleinkunst”, Paul Simon, Harry belafonte, synthesizer hits etc, all thanks to my parents who had a broad and interesting taste :D)

BUT

The strongest sensation for me that takes me back to my oldest memories are certain smells.
a smell can hit me and catapult me all the way back to when I was 2 or 4 years old, in kindergarten, painting something or playing in a certain place. No other sense can do the timetravelling THAT strong for me ;D

2 Likes

@LievenDV That’s true! Anytime I smell a wood fire or a balsam pillow I’m transported to being a kid again. Or the subtle noise of water lapping at a shore or being lifted from an oar. It’s truly magic! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Do you have a favorite smell?

Smells are handled by the olfactory bulb, the structure in the front of the brain that sends information to the other areas of the body’s central command for further processing. Odors take a direct route to the limbic system, including the amygdala and the hippocampus, the regions related to emotion and memory :woman_scientist:

1 Like

I always thought you were smarter than you looked :wink:

1 Like