Where does your username come from?

Oldhippy, a very mispent youth, bad hair, bad clothes ( I cringe at old pics of me),
and a utter conviction we (Hippys) could change the World.
The closest we got to the City of Love (San Francisco, for you yufths :sweat_smile:) was a very cold commune halfway up a Welsh mountain.
Still, gave me a love for music thats lasted my liife time, hence the very late start in life trying to make music myself.
I don’t think Clapton, Beck, Hendrick etc have anything to worry about, but I’m enjoying every moment of it.
and as we used to say.
Peace out. :rofl: :rofl:

Mike

5 Likes

Thanks for that Chris, as I now know (or suspect) the origin of the name of the Arjuna tree. :+1:
Or was he named after the tree :rofl:

The markr part is just my first name and last initial. The 31 comes from my first career; I’m a retired police lieutenant, and my radio call sign was 31.

4 Likes

Hi Tod,
actually yes I am. Here in Belgium, north of France and south of the Netherlands, there is still a thriving archers’ community (although numbers are falling back litlle by little). Especially in the Flanders, many villages still have their local archery clubs (some clubs even going back to the 16th century (my own club is from 1882)), and almost daily you can try out your marksmanship somewhere at a local club where a shooting is organized. We shoot regularly on targets located on a high pole (28 - 31 meters high). We have national championships, even a yearly EU-championship (in 2023 this was held in a small village in the north of France (Ghyvelde)). There’s a lot of tradition going on, and some people (man/woman) are unbelievable accurate hitting the target(s).

2 Likes

Hi Toby,
Interesting to hear there is a tree named after Arjuna! I like it. If you want to read more about Arjuna, you could dig into some Indian cultural heritage (described in the Bhagavad Gita, part of the Mahabharata (longest poem in the world!), from Vedic philosophy). He’s just a student, as we all are, and he tries his best to become better. Happily, he has a good teacher too (and aren’t we lucky too, with Justin spoon feeding :wink: us?

Well, my answer has a bit to do with US politics, but I will endeavor to keep this as neutral and nonpartisan as I can.

I am most active on the Internet at Twitter, where I predominantly engage in policy discussion. I got into policy debates from reading Milton Friedman shortly after I graduated college in the 90s and had just started working as a software engineer (and many years later, I would be inspired by his ideas and writings to go back to school to study economics).

Friedman has a famous quote critical of fiat currency:

“Only government can take perfectly good paper, cover it with perfectly good ink and make the combination worthless.”

Me, I thought “perfectly good ink” would make a clever tattoo, which I have on my right shoulder, thus contrasting government ink with private use of ink to have a result that was (to me) priceless (especially since my wife thinks it’s hot).

I also made it my pseudonym everywhere, particularly on Discord and Twitter (but due to Twitter’s character limit, I had to cut a letter and thus used @perfctlyGoodInk).

And although I’m a Libertarian, I find myself talking much more often about electoral reforms like Ranked Choice Voting (RCV) and Proportional Representation (ProRep) than I do about reducing the size and scope of government. These electoral reforms would help all minor parties (not just the LP), would create more competition to hold both major parties more accountable, and (perhaps most importantly) would reduce the political polarization and divisiveness that plagues politics more and more increasingly, particularly in the US.

Incidentally, the first song I posted here is one to the tune of Live’s “Lightning Crashes” that I rewrote to be about RCV and ProRep.

6 Likes

Here’s my guess in the “Spot the Madman” game:

He’s the one who’s got that “Where’s my guitar? I NEED my guitar & I NEED it NOW” look!! :joy:

Tod

3 Likes

as for my behemoth Kaylee, she’s named after Kaywinnet Lee Fry from the TV show Firefly.

Kaylee’s also my favorite Firefly character. I named one of my Elite Dangerous ships after her.

my sisters nicknamed me Buzz back in 1969

My 12yo son’s also a big fan of Buzz Aldrin.

1 Like

That’s a possible Rod but like Henry Ford when it comes to Model T-Shirts, there is only one colour. And stripy it ain’t !! Plus dudes got a teenage haircut and he is middle aged .
:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like

The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

OMG, that story is hilarious!!!

Also, you do realize that learning guitar also is all about sequences! You gotta strum the chord, but before that, you need to make sure you left hand fingers are in the right place, oh but it doesn’t quite sound right, and that’s cuz you didn’t mute this string, and also the pick angle on the upstroke needs to be fixed, and the chorus effect is a bit too wide, oh and you forgot to tune…

1 Like

Well… deep subject! LOL :joy:!

My username should be obvious but then again, perhaps not so much so in a guitar forum. Does anybody want try to decode it which describes me completely? I don’t think I’ve filled out my profile yet on the new forum so there should be no hints there. I’ll check back in tomorrow about this time and reveal the answer or congratulate whomever got it right.

For now, keep those strings vibrating and the sounds reverberating! Cheers! Dave (Wheelin Rev)

2 Likes

Ok Dave…
Here goes…….

You’re a long distance truck driver (Wheelin’)
Who:
A) Loves to rev up the engine of your rig?
B) Considers Reverend Horton Heat his favorite artist?
C) Is a minister who wears his clerical collar on Sundays?

OR

You’re a Wheelin’Dealin’ real estate speculator who tries to rig the deals to his advantage and strummin’ your six-string while you’re laughing at the rubes that are overpaying for swampland!!!
:grin::rofl::face_with_peeking_eye:

Tod

I am a software developer, and was one of the pioneer users of a program called LabVIEW, which is a graphical programming language that makes extensive use of ‘wires’ to control the flow of data. My user name is ‘wired’ on the LabVIEW forum, and was chosen because I drank coffee by the bucketful back then, and it was also a play on LabVIEW’s best-known feature. ‘wiredforsound’ was just a natural extension :wink:

4 Likes

Guess what, CatMan62? You got one of them right! Dave :grinning:

1 Like

I had breakfast with Buzz Aldrin with some of the group from my space group at Rockwell out at Biosphere 2 in Arizona back in the early 90s. I was so awestruck I barely uttered a word (and anyone will tell you I like to talk) fortunately, my also spaced crazed hubby filled in for me as well as a couple of the other engineers. But, dang. BUZZ ALDRIN IN THE FLESH!

5 Likes

Yeah, I’d likely have done the same.

I’m a pretty big fan of economist Tyler Cowen, and when I got the opportunity to meet him while I was an intern in DC, all I did was answer his friendly questions very minimally and then just sit there in awe.

I actually got a 2nd opportunity to meet him while working in education technology for a textbook publisher and just ducked out of it for fear of doing the same thing!

But wow, Buzz Aldrin in the flesh?!? Like… whoa.

1 Like

TruckerDave?
The Reverend Dave?
Real estate tycoon Dave?

Which one was the Winner of the Chicken Dinner? :laughing:

Tod

Ok my curiosity got ahead of me, I’m calling @Rossco01 and @Socio (who btw is very active in this thread but not on the main subject of this OP :D) as to where your nicknames are coming from! :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay Tod. The one that wins the chicken dinner is:

Reverend Dave a.k.a. Pastor Dave

That’s 50% of the username. Jolly good show mate!

So we are halfway there. But none of the suggested possibilities for “Wheelin” were even remotely close. You are so far away that you are colder than the South Pole! :rofl:

Anybody else besides @CATMAN62 care to take a stab at guessing the origin of “Wheelin” in my username? I’ll give you a hint: It will probably be the very last thing you ever expected it to be derived from. :flushed:

Cheers! Pastor Dave

Hmm … There is a university called “Wheeling University” in West Virginia. Probably you studied there? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like