Where does your username come from?

Hi all,
After a few months in the Community, I find myself often wondering how a lot of you came up with your username. I think it may be fun for those of you who wish to share your thoughts and stories to put ā€˜em here! Completely voluntary of course & no pressure!!!

Iā€™m going 1stā€¦.

CATMAN62 has to do with the fact that my last name is Calicoā€¦ Calico Cat=CATMAN. 1962 is a special year to me.

Who else dares to reveal their ā€œhidden selfā€???

Tod

16 Likes

Well, I donā€™t have anything to add here (obviously :roll_eyes:). Iā€™m known for my endless creativity when it comes to finding namesā€¦ :rofl:

This might be great fun though! At least something: during late teens/early twens, I had quite reggae-phase and used to name my self in forums/chatrooms beenie which is creole for small, because I am quite short. :rofl:

11 Likes

Ha! I love it!!!
Iā€™m going to try to remember this & call you Beenie from now on!!!

When our oldest daughter was very little we called her Beensie, partly because she was little but also because she liked to sing ā€œThe eensie BEENSIE spiderā€ song!

Tod

3 Likes

Back in college (40 years ago) someone gave me a baseball cap with moose ears/nose. I would wear it while snow skiing and people on the chairlifts would often yell ā€œMoooooseā€. My college friends picked up on it and started calling me moose as well and it became my defacto nickname. Moose is used a lot online so I added my area code 408.

(I still have the hat and still wear it when skiing).

13 Likes

Somewhere around 1991 I joined a BBS dedicated to trading Grateful Dead tapes. I used the login know_u_rider after the Grateful Dead version of the song I Know You Rider.

As forums and user names became more common I found that I would have to change the spelling or add numbers because that name was already taken, but Iā€™ve been using some variation of that user name for almost 30 years!

11 Likes

I have nothing to hide :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Very boring Iā€™m afraid, just my initials and the year I was born.
Hopefully something I will not easily forget in the future.
Michael

12 Likes

Lieven is my firstname
De Vleeschouwer is lastname

11 Likes

Meat watcher? Whatā€™s the history of your surname, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Aliomenti is from a book series: The Aliomenti Saga by Alex Albrinck.

6 Likes

I got it from my mum

20 Likes

Someone who inspects the quality of meat.

7 Likes

Sure it doesnā€™t come from vleesch-houwer (butcher) @LievenDV ? I suspect there wasnā€™t a lot of quality inspection done at the time surnames were introduced :slight_smile:

As for my username, I honestly have no idea where it came from - it just popped up in my mind.

8 Likes

To be precise, it is a ā€œkindā€ of butcher, grading the meat.
It is some kind of duality thing with a butcher and not a butcher.

When I was in the leader team of our local movement and our theme was Braveheart, I had a double bladed lightsaber, a white robe with blood all over and I was calledā€¦The Butcher :smiley:

7 Likes

I gotta say that so far, this is the only one that made me laugh out loudā€¦:rofl: sorry Tony if it wasnā€™t meant to be humorous!!! :face_with_peeking_eye:

Tod

8 Likes

Uh, well, Iā€™m left-handed and my favorite number is 6 :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

OK I make no apologies but this will be a long read but could also be educational.

Took a bit of digging as this was all initially written on the old forum.
I thought it was in my old Roadcase or learning log as its now called. But it was copied over as a separate post Diary of a Madman. So glad I now have my POD GO !!!

That spawned the new handle and was carried forward on my YouTube Channel warts n all. Madmanā€™s Music Studios

Hopefully that will satisfy your curiosity Tod ? Oh btw I am also barking mad to boot.

13 Likes

Was that you :open_mouth:

6 Likes

Just swap the lightsaber for any kind of medical instrument or stable attribute and you wouldnā€™t have drawn any attention at all in that attire during my student days - bloodied white robes were our ā€˜uniformā€™.

Never understood how anyone could ever have thought white was a fantastic color to wear when wrestling with cows and horses - I was a vet student :smiley:.

7 Likes

@CATMAN62 Glad it made you laugh. Thereā€™s a story I tell about my name that always brings a good responseā€¦

Iā€™m of German heritage, and people have asked if Tony is a german name. I asked my mum and she said itā€™s not an uncommon name in Germany. I explain it this way. I consider myself to be the luckiest of all the boys in my family. My brothers names are Horst, Seigfried, Klaus and Hans. Dadā€™s name is Gerhard and Mumā€™s name is Hildegarde. Iā€™m lucky I didnā€™t get named Mud guard!

11 Likes

based on me, has to be. Historically, the dates check outā€¦at least it feels that way

3 Likes