Where does your username come from?

Someone who inspects the quality of meat.

7 Likes

Sure it doesnā€™t come from vleesch-houwer (butcher) @LievenDV ? I suspect there wasnā€™t a lot of quality inspection done at the time surnames were introduced :slight_smile:

As for my username, I honestly have no idea where it came from - it just popped up in my mind.

8 Likes

To be precise, it is a ā€œkindā€ of butcher, grading the meat.
It is some kind of duality thing with a butcher and not a butcher.

When I was in the leader team of our local movement and our theme was Braveheart, I had a double bladed lightsaber, a white robe with blood all over and I was calledā€¦The Butcher :smiley:

7 Likes

I gotta say that so far, this is the only one that made me laugh out loudā€¦:rofl: sorry Tony if it wasnā€™t meant to be humorous!!! :face_with_peeking_eye:

Tod

8 Likes

Uh, well, Iā€™m left-handed and my favorite number is 6 :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

OK I make no apologies but this will be a long read but could also be educational.

Took a bit of digging as this was all initially written on the old forum.
I thought it was in my old Roadcase or learning log as its now called. But it was copied over as a separate post Diary of a Madman. So glad I now have my POD GO !!!

That spawned the new handle and was carried forward on my YouTube Channel warts n all. Madmanā€™s Music Studios

Hopefully that will satisfy your curiosity Tod ? Oh btw I am also barking mad to boot.

13 Likes

Was that you :open_mouth:

6 Likes

Just swap the lightsaber for any kind of medical instrument or stable attribute and you wouldnā€™t have drawn any attention at all in that attire during my student days - bloodied white robes were our ā€˜uniformā€™.

Never understood how anyone could ever have thought white was a fantastic color to wear when wrestling with cows and horses - I was a vet student :smiley:.

7 Likes

@CATMAN62 Glad it made you laugh. Thereā€™s a story I tell about my name that always brings a good responseā€¦

Iā€™m of German heritage, and people have asked if Tony is a german name. I asked my mum and she said itā€™s not an uncommon name in Germany. I explain it this way. I consider myself to be the luckiest of all the boys in my family. My brothers names are Horst, Seigfried, Klaus and Hans. Dadā€™s name is Gerhard and Mumā€™s name is Hildegarde. Iā€™m lucky I didnā€™t get named Mud guard!

11 Likes

based on me, has to be. Historically, the dates check outā€¦at least it feels that way

3 Likes

Well, it was this one or BuzzSolo which Iā€™ve had about the same amount of time (though my sisters nicknamed me Buzz back in 1969). The Solo came when I got married.

But I am somewhat of a rocket scientist, not a physicist but a mechanical engineer who worked in aerospace back in the 80s and 90s. I was in the USAF and worked on Reaganā€™s Star Wars program, actually called the Space Defense Initiative, then when I became a civilian again, I worked on the Space Exploration Initiative, as well as a bit with the space shuttle.

Now most people who actually know me probably figure I named myself after my dogs Rocket and Luna, but no, my dogs are named after spacey things. My next dog though I called Ziggy Stardust because, Apollo just didnā€™t fit him and as for my behemoth Kaylee, sheā€™s named after Kaywinnet Lee Fry from the TV show Firefly. All space related even if it was only in a fictional sense.

And now yā€™all probably know way more about me than you need. :grin:

BUT, if you need an Operations Plan for a lunar base any time soon, Iā€™m your gal!

17 Likes

So, your answer brings to mind another questionā€¦ is Tony your actual given name or is it short for something else?
I did know a kid when I was in school (eons ago) who we used to tease about his nameā€¦ as I remember it was Sigfried Wilson Oberstein & we always called him Siggy Frankenstein! Then a bunch of people thought his name was Ziggy & it kinda stuck. So, years later, I run into him and he is using Ziggy as his name, funny ā€˜ol world isnā€™t it? :laughing:

Tod

2 Likes

I like your story, Rebecca!
When my wife was little, her favorite aunt called her Buzz & nobody knew why. They presumed that it was because she Buzzed around like a bee :honeybee:!
No plans for a Lunar Base anytime soon, but Iā€™ll put you on speed dial just in case!!! :joy:

Tod

3 Likes

Iā€™m Tony. Not Anthony. Not Antonio. Just Tony. The real thing. Not an imposter like all the Anthonys out there. :smiley:

My brother Seigfried hated his name. And he got the nickname of Zeke which apparently he hated even more. Once he was 50 he changed his name. Yippee!

Iā€™m fortunate in that I like my name. If you donā€™t like your name, change it, after all, itā€™s just a name.

I like to joke that Tony verses Anthony is like Coca-cola and Pepsi-cola. Oneā€™s the real thing and one wants to be. Sorta like Canadians verses Americans or Kiwis verses Aussies.

6 Likes

OOOOhhhh my favourite Firefly character <3

Seriously; 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s space programs ā€¦ that was the stuff of my dreams
I was born in 1982 and I thought by 2000 we would all drive electric cars and by 2020 there would be a lunar base etc. I geeked on the Space Shuttle and the mystique around Buran, its Russian copycat sister. Wild!

7 Likes

I started out as close2u in the old JustinGuitar Forum when I joined, many years ago. I still worked in schools so wanted to maintain some online anonymity. My surname, used as my formal teaching name of course, is Coles. My imagination gave me a scenario in which some cheeky teenager was calling me by a disrespectful nickname, to which my strict teacherā€™s reply was, ā€œItā€™s Mr Coles to youā€, i made an anagram of Coles and it morphed to become ā€˜cliose to youā€™ which took me (still in my imagination) out of the classroom and to a much nicer place. I altered the words ā€˜to youā€™ into the shortened 2u as a little homage to Sinead Oā€™Connor. My username of close2u was born. When we moved from the old Forum to the new Community, i was much more relaxed about using my real name so I extended my username to Richard_close2u.

17 Likes

Thatā€™s a great story! Did you ever see pics of the Russian Buran on top of an Antonov super jet? Itā€™s similar to the US Space Shuttle on top of a Boeing 747ā€¦ I remember the lunar landings being shown on tv in our classrooms in the 60sā€¦ we all dreamed of being Neil Armstrong back then!!!

Tod

3 Likes

Ha! I guess our son Anthony is one of those imposters!!! He uses Tony or just his last name.
Both my wife and I dislike our given namesā€¦ weā€™ve thought about changing them before but it seems like it would just cause a lot of confusion for all of the people who know us! If we ever move away thoughā€¦ā€¦ :thinking:

Just call me Mitch!!! Not Mitchell, just Mitch!!!

Tod

3 Likes

If your son Anthony reads this, tell him I rarely take myself seriously. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t worryā€¦ he wonā€™t!!!

Tod

2 Likes