Where Is My Mind | Pixies | August '23 AVOYP

My entry for August is probably Pixies’ most iconic song. I read it’ll be one of the tunes that will be learned and performed during the JG UK workshop next month. Unfortunately I’m not one of the lucky ones to attend, but I bet it’ll be much fun.

The acoustic part is both exciting and tricky to learn. It’s a bit of an unusual progression with many barre chords and I could definitely feel my muscles getting sore by the end of the song.

The little lead line on electric is a bit of a finger twister with the fast hammer on and the bouncing between the top strings. It took me a while to get that down but once you do I think it sounds wicked.

I hope you like it!

15 Likes

It does indeed sound wicked, Jeff. Fabulous tones on the electric and quite a workout on the acoustic. Well done on a polished production.

1 Like

@Jeff that sounded great, everything seemed to be on point. I’m not mega familiar with the track but your guitar tone seemed very close and the acoustic sounded very good. The parts were played with great timing. The video was good as well that must have taken some effort too! Good job all round.

1 Like

That sounded great, Jeff. Video production was as @DavidP says polished. I thought the addition of the close ups was great as when I watch recordings done by those way ahead of me I think it’s super helpful being able to see the playing techniques etc.

1 Like

Very enjoyable listen. Great playing and sound. As said nice to have the close ups in the video to appreciate your playing and how the different sections fit together in the song. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Wow Jeff that sounded really good! Indeed quite a lot of barre chords going on during this track but I think you managed to play it really well. Great job!

1 Like

Love it, well done! This is a cracking track and I think you’ve done a fantastic job.

1 Like

Wow, what a perfect cover of a very cool song. The timing and performance was impeccable. How long have you been working on this one? I gotta try and get some of this under my fingers.

I always think about the ending scene of the movie Fight Club when I hear this.

1 Like

Choosing the right song is probably the most important factor in providing enjoyment and you struck gold on this :smiley:
Great production, incorporating solid acoustic and electric guitar playing with excellent tone to boot.
If I was going to be really picky I’d like you doing a Frank Black impersonation or somehow boost the vocals, but I know that’s not the exercise here.
This monkey’s in Heaven :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

Awesome.
Love this song - such a great vibe.
Some great tones going on in there - especially that chug - so beefy.
Top production.

Digger

1 Like

I’m loving this one Jeff. Great barre work out on the acoustic (not surprised you were getting sore) and the electric sounded great. Nice solo too.

1 Like

Stellar performance, cool to see the acoustic and electric both being done. The electric tone as a nice gnarly bite that does the song justice :+1:

The first rule about fight clu– sorry I won’t go there :rofl: .

1 Like

A great song played beautifully. Very well done Jeff.

1 Like