Where to sell a guitar ? UK

So iā€™m going to sell my Epiphone ES-339 , where would I do this.
Stores like Andertons only offer Ā£173 :frowning: for a Ā£460ish Guitar. This just doesnā€™t sit right with me , So if anyone knows where to sell something like this please let me know.
Thanks

R.H

It depends whether you can be bothered dealing with a load of potential time-wasters or not. I sold one of mine on Gumtree, quickly and without a fee. You just have to know that whatever you put in the advert, such as ā€œcollection onlyā€, thereā€™ll be people asking if youā€™ll post it to wherever and that sort of thing. Youā€™ll obviously get people who just want to haggle and think youā€™ll sell a Ā£250 guitar for loose change. My suggestion is that you do say collection only because of the hassle of packaging it and risk of damage in transit (or people claiming that it was damaged in transit). If you donā€™t get any offers you could then elect to offer postage, or just sell it to Andertons

3 Likes

It may be Ā£460 new, but you will be lucky if you get half that second hand.

Guitars, generally, are not an investment. They devalue faster than almost anything, including new cars.

You will get more than Andertons are offering because they need to resell it and make a a profit. If the guitar is worth, say, Ā£200 second hand, they need to buy it from you at less than that to make a profit.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I will add that the value of second-hand guitars does stabilise. If you buy a -hand guitar for Ā£200, then itā€™s very likely you will be able to sell it for what you bought it for (subject to condition).

But new guitars generally lose a big chunk of their value as soon as you walk out of the shop with them.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks for the feed back, If I get helf the value back I would be happy with that as itā€™s still better than Andertons offer lol.

R.H

1 Like

Hi Rachel.
Have you not bonded with it?
I always had a hankering for a 339.
There are currently 2 Epiphone ES339 on Gumtree both under Ā£300.

There are two on Reverb for higher prices (because they are being sold by stores, not individuals)

There are 31 recently sold on Ebay ranging from Ā£130 to Ā£460
Ebay charge a 10% fee also.

There are loads on Facebook Marketplace too at varying prices from the lowest of Ā£250.

Haha, you should make her a cheeky offer :rofl:
Only joking- Good luck with selling it, Rachel :smiley:

3 Likes

Bingo. I would expect that stock availability and demand will also have an influence on the value.

I had a good experience selling my Taylor GS-8 on facebook marketplace.

Well, if any one wants to make an offer on a barely used Guitar, needs to collect.
Comes with soft case.

Rachel.

1 Like

I recently used Gumtree to sell my Eastcoast GL and it went alright. As others have said definitely be clear with things like collection only etc. There were a few timewasting contacts / messages but youā€™ve got to expect that unfortunately.
Iā€™d also say you will probable need to lower your expectations. Not comparing the quality of instruments but I started out asking Ā£90 for what was a Ā£200 (new) guitar. I ended up dropping to Ā£75 before I started to get interest.
Good luck either way!

1 Like

Rachel try PMT store, Andertons offered 75 for my Katana 50 and PMT paid 125 so perhaps they could offer you a better trade in value.

1 Like

Adi, did you get the K 100 amp? If so, are you pleased with it?

Sorry to thread hi-jack again. :flushed:

Yes I did and itā€™s great! I especially love using it with GA FC pedal makes life a whole lot easier than switching effects through Tone studio. And my main reason to replace was FX loop - I am already practicing a song with new looper and using fx during solo and itā€™s wonderful! Not a lot bigger than 50 which was a nice surprise. All in all I definitely recommend it if you think you canā€™t live without those extra capabilities :grinning:

1 Like

Thank Adi. Iā€™m wanting that fx loop, especially once I get my new acoustic. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m just on my way home now after spending an hour or so with them demoing the new Les Paul Standard 50 n 60. Mmmmm. Surprised at the difference

Rachel

1 Like

Iā€™d say keep it. Itā€™s a fabulous guitar, and if itā€™s your first then you definitely shouldnā€™t get rid of it - Iā€™ve heard a lot of people regret selling their first guitar!

Iā€™d agree with Tony, I still have my original Affinity from 96 and an old Encore acoustic I got 97/98. But I guess if its a matter of finance then there has to be tough love. :frowning_face:

No, more a matter of stands lol. Although Iā€™d probably put the Gibson back in the case.

A message got lost. My ES 339 is my 2nd guitar but my first electric. My first guitar is an electro acoustic AJ. The dreadnoughts were too big lol

1 Like

Rachel

Thatā€™s why they make racks ! :rofl:

:sunglasses:

4 Likes