Which note on Guitar.?

Not an informative questsion I admit. Transcribing a single note on a Piano isn’t that hard but, which note of a Guitar would you opt for when multiple location have the same note.

I think I can guess what people will say, the one that is in reach lol…
Does it really matter if you choose the upper vs the lower or Visa Versa…

R.H

Hi @Libitina,

Do you mean if it matters if you play the C at fret 3 string 5 or fret 1 string 2? That difference indeed matters as the two Cs are in different octaves.

But if you mean if it matters if you play the C at fret 3 string 5 or fret 8 string 6… well, that depends which you prefer the sound of? Even though technically they are the same note in the same octave, there will be a subtle difference in their sound.

No, I mean if the note and octave are identical on the guitar. Duplicates ie…If you in the middle of the neck. ?

Multiple Choice

The C at the 20th fret of the 6th string is the same as that found at the 15th fret of the 5th string, the 10th fret of the 4th string, the 5th fret of the 3rd string and the 1st fret of the 2nd string!

I think it matters, due to two factors: position and ease of play in the overall piece, and the timbre of the note (even though it’s the same pitch, it may have a slightly different character when played in different positions).

There have been many times when I’ve been transcribing something, and I start playing it in first position, and then realize it would be much better suited to a different position up the fretboard because the notes/chords/etc that come before or after affect how easy it is to play in the context of the song.

The timbre question is more subtle. It might matter, and it might not matter at all. Just depends on the circumstances. I’d listen carefully to the original recording and compare.

3 Likes

Firstly, sorry for the immense delay in coming back to this thread lol. oops :slight_smile:

So how does someone like a grade 1 novice know where to start. Transcription is going to be a part of what I will learn and feel like I want to start but, also feel like i’m in over my head too. I dont know the notes on the neck and i dont know how to play scales on a guitar, that in itself makes it akward.
I’ve done transcription before because I used to play piano so I’m not totally ignorant of scales and chords but, ITS SO MUCH MORE SIMPLE ON A PIANO LOL.

Theres only 1 C4 and it’s always in the same place :O, bloody guitars

Rachel

:joy::joy::joy: now you know why it takes a lifetime to learn to play them!

1 Like