Why do you need multiple guitars?

To me, this is like Taylor Swift making costume changes during a concert. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is interesting. Do you understand why certain chords, licks, styles go with a certain guitar and not others? What song (or lick or style) might you play on the 335, but not on the Tele, say?

Btw, if I had 4 electric guitars, I would go for the Big 4 classic guitars that you have. As it is, I only have an Epiphone 335 (but Iā€™m very happy with it).

I think itā€™s subconscious, but I just feel different. The 335 brings out more jazzy voicings and I tend to play a bit softer. On the tele Iā€™ll dig in more. I do a version of ā€˜ainā€™t no sunshineā€™ on the 335 which I just donā€™t play that often on the tele.
The Epi 335 is a wonderful guitar!

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Well Mmmm ? Just because :rofl:

3 Likes

I asked a similar question a while ago :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope my wife never finds this threadā€¦ or any new forum member I meet from time to time (Ooo tomorrow :flushed: but luckily heā€™s very busy right now ). because what if he suddenly starts a conversation about this stuff with my wife when he sees my next new guitar or hear my next guitar wishes ??? :hot_face:

Well Alan ,You probably didnā€™t think about all those possible consequences when you asked this (seemingly) innocent question :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Greetings,
Now Iā€™m going to take a quick peek at Thomann :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Everyone has said something relevant about why we need more than one. Great comments, cool thread.
And lastly.
guitars are just cool to look at (shiny and colorful, easy on the eyes) with all their variety, so obviously ya gotta have more than one to gaze at while thinking about your next tune.
Inspiration.

A strat, a dreadnaught, a resonator, a 12-string, a CBG, a travel guitar, another Tele in Open G, and another dreadnaught or resonator in double drop D to start with!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true, and some of them created unique and iconic music with that one and only guitar.

Legendary Brian May just needs his Red Special - and he even had built it himself (with some help of his dad) :guitar:

I love the story of this guitar, and having the pleasure to watch Brian and his treasured Red Special on stage always feels like, well, ā€œItā€™s a kind of magicā€ :blush:

2 Likes

Great thread to read, and Ian (@theoldman66) mentioned the reason why I accuired two more (second hand and cheap) guitars over the past month and I just agreed to another deal. So, why am I picking up the third guitar bought in a month next week. Different tunings.

Iā€™ve been working on a project for a few months now and am currently on 6 tunings (standard Eb, Drop Db, Drop Bb, DADGAD, double drop B, open D5) and I have a strong feeling open G will be required as well + I use different string gauges for different tunings and all this together means the guitar needs to be set up every time I change tunings that extremely. And this is not practical + I think itā€™s also not very good for a guitar to be exposed to drastic changes all the time.

So yeah, apart from the tone that different guitars have, itā€™s also a very practical reason to have more if youā€™re playing in a lot of different tunings.

5 Likes

Great thread!

Lots of interesting pinions, which, of course, are varied as there are posters.

Such an individual decision all around, kind of like what songs we may choose to learn.

I do think, in general, that is beginners barely need more than one guitar. But it depends on what we are interested in learning. For what I want to do, I would argue I ā€œneedā€ two guitars at least, a classical nylon string and a steel string acoustic. Some may want an electric of some type and an acoustic. These are different enough instruments that a beginner may still benefit from having the options as they learn. More than that (for a new player like me and many of us) is because we want to, can afford to, enjoy the gear, like playing with different toys and so on. All valid reasons to have more fun stuff. But need? What I NEED is to learn to play the dang things.

As players advance, though, the nuances they appreciate, the expression they want to achieve, they notice the playability differences, need alternative tunings, backups, the list goes on. They are artists and the varied tools they use may impact the art they produce or at least the feeling they get from producing it. Some may not use many instruments, and there art is built around that. Others have lot such a life around their instruments that they enjoy having a variety and collection of their interest.

Currently I have 5 guitars. Two classical nylons, one of which is a nice but beat up guitar I am not afraid to take places, like up to the mountain condo where is a drier than the desert. Two steel string acoustic guitars, one a short scale 12 fret finger picker and the other a longer (normal) scale 14 fret narrower my strummer. The 5th is a strat. I am not playing it really at all, but keep thinking I will. It is quite nice since I rebuilt it well, because t it isnā€™t worth anything to sell so I may as well keep it. I probably donā€™t need the longer scale acoustic, but I like it and. Enjoy playing it. If I need the money, it would be the first to go, but I donā€™t. It was nice to be able to have one extra to lend to a friend for a while as well.

At this time, any additional guitar would be just because I want it, so I am refraining. It is a struggle as I am also one of those who just plain old like gear.

3 Likes

Hi Alan I have 4 guitars the first one is a Squire strat because I wanted to play the hank Marvin Shadows type of music and for that you need a whammy bar I then got into some of the rolling stones and status quo music and i bought a squire tele type guitar I already had an electro acoustic about 6 weeks ago I bought a Vintage V100 GT les Paul gold top type guitar I use this for T Rex type music and also because I wanted one I know the type of amp can change the sound but i like having a choice as Keith Richards said give me any guitar and i make them all sound the same.this is all the types I wanted now I have them and that will do me.

1 Like

Sure it willā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

mmmmmmmmmmmmm well I did like the Gibson Chuck Berry used to play

I think one of the reasons you see pros switch guitars so often during shows is different tunings. Ever been to a concert where the guitarist had only one guitar and the show stops for a few minutes so he or she can retune? Not super fun to watch is it?

The reason I own two electrics: one has single coil pick ups and the other has humbuckers. They sound really different. ā€œDifferent tools for different jobs.ā€

Reason Iā€™m toying with getting a third electric even though I live in an apartment and donā€™t have the space for it: so I can ā€œplay out.ā€ I splurged on an American Strat and worry about it getting damaged or stolen when I start jamming (jams seem to happen in bars often).

Well, I have a Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. For me the sound is completely different. My Les Paul is the more ā€œaggressiveā€ one. But then I really like the strat to play like RHCP stuff for example.
For me, my Les Paul is my dream guitar, in the future I would like to add another one to tune in standard C, then I donā€™t have to change everytime the tune :laughing:

My very 1st thought when seeing this topic was ā€œWhy own more than One Pot & One Pan?ā€. You could go on & onā€¦ more than one winter coat? More than one car? More than one pair of sunglasses?
People pursue what brings them joy! Iā€™m a guitarist. Maybe not a very good one yet, but playing brings me joy & I really like to look at the guitars I own & have a choice. Iā€™ll play my Les Paul today & maybe acoustic or my Tele tomorrowā€¦ just keeping them in tune means ā€œguitar timeā€!!! I wonā€™t reveal how many ā€œchoicesā€ I have or what they equate to in terms of money spentā€¦ā€¦ :crazy_face:
Donā€™t overthink thisā€¦ just love your guitar & have a fun journey pursuing your passion!!!

Tod

2 Likes

I made a deal with my wife a couple of years ago; If a new one comes in, an old one has to go. At one point I had 5, including a couple that I almost never played. I sold or donated them. Iā€™m now down to two acoustics, one sitka/rosewood dreadnought and one sitka/mahogany dreadnought. They sound quite different and I enjoy them both. But Iā€™ll never say never. One of them could get replaced next week if I find the right replacement.

I think you may have nearly talked me into buying another guitarā€¦:man_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes