Why do YouTube guitarists play sitting down?

I do both every day. I do warmup exercises, drills, and lessons seated, stand to play songs on my electric, but play acoustic seated. No particular reason (although I find it awkward to play my grand-auditorium-size acoustic standing) itā€™s just the pattern Iā€™ve developed.

3 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™d prefer to play standing up. Yet I suffer from chronic fatigue so I play sitting down as thatā€™s all I can manage on some days. With acoustic guitar, you tend to see even famous players on stage either on a stool or sitting in a chair more than with electric guitar.

5 Likes

I play about 4 hours a day and used to play standing up but now play the 20 something hours a week (nearly 30) sitting down and use a adjustable raised footrest to balance the guitars in the proper position and my back, neck and feet love the change. No tension headaches was also a side effect. Probably related to the weight of strap pull on neck. So why play standing when you can sit if you are not performing for an audience but rather recording?

2 Likes

No one voting for lying down?

5 Likes

Cool topic JK.
Wellā€¦ i has been on two live concerts for the last two weeksā€¦ first one was a Ā«rockĀ» concerts with one of the best live bands in Norway. The vocalist plays on a tele and sounds awsome. He played standing up of course with a lot of energy.
Then. Last weekend the same vocalist did a unplugged concert in Oslo. Just him playing all the tracks accoustic stripped down, just him and his Gibson jumboā€¦ he was sitting on bar stool the whole concertā€¦ and sounded awsome ofcourseā€¦ a lot of energy but not in the same way as when he played with his bandā€¦ must admitā€¦ i loved the live show with his bandā€¦ but sitting down all stripped downā€¦ā€¦ give me tears just thinking about itā€¦ i say yes to both things :grin:

Just my two cents JK

2 Likes

My notes sound flat.

2 Likes

Vincent,
As far a tips go, Iā€™m not sure I can offer anything except my own experience. The biggest problem I encountered when I started standing is the stability of the guitar.
The first step in stability is having the right strap and adjusting it to the right position. I used to use a nylon strap but once I stood up the neck of the guitar would drop, it was like the head was trying to kiss the floor. I changed to a leather strap with an unfinished side and the provided enough grip that I no longer experienced the neck diving.
Next for the strap is having one wide enough to support the weight of the guitar comfortably, the heavier the guitar the wider the strap. The strap on the Martin acoustic is quite narrow but the strap on the LP is really wide.
Adjusting the strap to to right length is essential, you donā€™t want your fretting wrist cocked at too much of an angle. Generally the higher the guitar, the less you need to flex your wrist, so make sure the strap hold the guitar high enough. (Side note, the higher the guitar, the less cool it looks)
I would also (strongly) recommend using strap locks while standing.

Also for stability, I had to make adjustments to the pressure from both the strumming and fretting arms. For me, initially both my strumming arm and fretting arm were exerting too much pressure. This caused the whole guitar to wobble back and forth. I did have to learn to lighten my touch.

If any of tis is helpful, great and have fun. If itā€™s not, then just ignore it all. As others have noted, standing or sitting are preferences (for most) not better or worse.

Glen

3 Likes

Counterpoint:

4 Likes

Thanks Mark for the reassurance! I think I too prefer have the guitar high up due to the technical stuff I am inā€¦ And seriously my acoustic is pretty heavy for the mods I installed

2 Likes

eh.

6 Likes

So quite a lot of discussion! :fire:

It seems like the most common thought for why YouTube guitarists sit down is to make video framing easy. I wonder if itā€™s just that simple. If youā€™re recording your own video, I guess you have to be still as you wouldnā€™t have a separate camera person on you.

Two opposite points of view, I love it. :smiley: I usually play standing up because I sit down a lot for work so prefer to stand when playing, I have better posture that way.

Of courseā€¦ people play however they can. Sitting seems prolific on YouTube in general. Gotta be a reason.

So, another question - does anyone know any YouTube guitarists that stand up a lot? Particularly ones with interesting camera angles. Iā€™m curious on watching how they do their videos. I had a look at Dave Simpson (like @rorystrat mentioned) and his camera work is simple, just one camera point at him and no cuts.

1 Like

Hi JK! Would you mind explain to me the framing issue? I am planning to film myself playing some guitar for upcoming YouTube MV, standing up

For your enquiry, a lot of fingerstyle player I know play standing up (notable one, only Sungha Jung sit down, really)

This one make you sea sick

Andy is always cool! For his personal YouTube he actually sit down :sweat_smile:

And the really cool one below

To myself personally, I would perform sitting if I were to create a chilling atmosphere. Like performing music ā€œcasuallyā€. It is really down that what kind of experience I wish to provide to the audience =)

2 Likes

ā€¦then youā€™ll see guys like Erich Andreas (YourGuitarSage), and Mike Philippov ( HowToPracticeGuitar), whoā€™ll sometimes stand up, but have the guitar mounted on a fixed bracket.

1 Like

sitting is much more comfortable for me and leaves less to think about when Iā€™m trying to concentrate on chords. I typically do an 8k run/walk then hit the gym prior to practicing so Iā€™m in no mood for standing for another hour for practice. Also easier to fiddle with my amp, ipad and/or books at that level. all around just much better. Iā€™m about 100 years away from any kind of performing so Iā€™ll probably not be worrying about that anytime soon. :laughing:

2 Likes

I know mainly two guys who most of the time play standing. One is Mr Tabs, the other is a guy whose channel is called TheSuffocater.
Dave Simpson was mentioned who also plays standing but while he plays nicely, he talks a lot :laughing:

1 Like

Absolutely agree, saying that something is better then the other is controversial, it might be better for you but not everyone in general. There is also a practical aspect to it, staying in a frame to be one reason, unless you have a film crew :).

It is also situational, at least for the pro musicians I watch. When they record at studio / home they mostly sit. On stage it varies from piece to piece, noir and melancholic songs are played sitting, dynamic with a lot of tapping are played standing.

2 Likes

@jjw John, I think you are generally correct on this point. Based on what I know (limited) of singing, one can achieve better breathe support when standing.

That said, many people above have made a point of artists playing unplugged solo with an acoustic sitting down, so clearly not a a an absolute no-no to sit and sing.

3 Likes

No, you are not on the wrong track.
Standing, playing is a performance stance, and a good way to practice, as well.
Good question.
A matter of pick.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™ve done most of my vids standing up. I think itā€™s to do with setting up multiple cameras and getting the guitar in the shot by yourself. Which makes sense.

Thanks for posting those videos, I really enjoyed them and gave me some good ideas. It did look like there must have been a second person with the camera though, and multiple takes (especially for the Petteri Sariola one). Which makes them a bit more music-video and less single-take-and-cut. But still great videos, thanks.

Interestingā€¦ I had watched one of YourGuitarSageā€™s videos before, just went searching through both their feeds and found this early video of Erich Andreas: How To Play Hey Joe By Jimi Hendrix - Guitar Lesson - YouTube. Standing up. But single shot/camera from what I can see, and not as slick as his newer stuff where heā€™s sitting down. I didnā€™t find any ones from either of them with a fixed bracket but didnā€™t look too hard for one, just skimmed their popular video list.

Thanks, I had a look at Mr Tabs and I could only find him sitting down. But Suffocater is standing in most of his videos. From seeing all these Iā€™m becoming quite convinced the sitting down thing is because of the ease of doing decent videos with it (based on what quite a few people pointed out).

1 Like

Haha chances were that would be the case! He has a lot of videos, I have probably come across some he was standing, by chance.

1 Like