Why do YouTube guitarists play sitting down?

Hahaha! Best answer yet

For me playing sitting has given me a bad habit of constantly looking at the guitar (like a crane someone said in thread) ā€œnot coolā€ said, Justin.

So Iā€™ve been practicing more standing up.
When sitting I even practice blindfolded sometimes.

1 Like

I have mostly sat to play guitar from when I took Classical lessons, I found it easier than standing when playing other genres. Other than when I played in a pub band then I stood to play because it was the done thing. If youā€™ve got the right seat at the best height then itā€™s possible to relax when playing, I canā€™t relax standing now because my balance is less than good, even when I didnā€™t have balance issues I still found standing playing much less relaxing than sitting. I feel that itā€™s quite important to be able to be relaxed when playing to remove any tension from your body and mind. Lack of tension makes your playing more fluid and easier to play good legato phrases, but thatā€™s me - we arenā€™t all the same!

I pretty much always play sitting down. I wish I could say itā€™s only for framing purposes (it is for sure when Iā€™m recording and likely the reason why I think most youtubers are sitting) but itā€™s also pure laziness about not feeling like standing up. I also almost feel like Iā€™m relearning to play when standing up lol. I donā€™t plan on playing standing up often right now anyway but itā€™s on my list to do.

Really interesting question JK :thinking:
Some great points above, and I donā€™t think I can add much to them in terms of reasons why YouTubers mostly sit (but youā€™re right, they do!) however in terms of myself I generally do a mixture. Sitting is much easier when Iā€™m interacting with the computer a lot say for recording or learning a new song or when I have to play really fast alternate picking on a metal track which I still struggle to do standing (fast down picking fine but alternate picking is tricky for me and I think itā€™s to do with the guitar being less locked in place). Standing I typically do when just jamming to songs or, these days, recording an AVOYP :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I enjoy both but standing does have a cooler vibe. I used to always sit and found playing standing very difficult, but a while back I decided to change that and played standing up only for several weeks, and by the end of that I became much more comfortable with it (except what I mentioned above). Guitar placement (strap length) is important when standing for sure and getting that right seems to be the key (i.e. mirroring the placement of the guitar when seated).
In terms of framing, check out the Dotti Brothers on YouTube, most of their videos Iā€™ve seen are of them standing. They use virtual backgrounds a lot which I guess solves the busy shot problem but maybe thereā€™s something helpful there for you?
https://youtube.com/@dottibrothers

Interesting conversation.

I personally donā€™t play very well standing up yet. Iā€™m practicing it more and more, but I get lost a little bit in the middle strings still, and if I get carried away, I can lost touch with the whole fretboard for a second.

It definitely looks cooler to stand, in my opinion, and itā€™s certainly easier to convey emotion. Props to those that can rock it standing :+1:

tommion: > Why stand when you can sit ?

Well, for those of us who are singing and playing, standing is a much better posture for singing. I think it opens up room for your diaphragm (thatā€™s your strongest breathing muscle, and you can isolate it a bit by pushing out your belly when inhaling). Thatā€™s the main reason why I record myself standing.

But yeah, if youā€™re performing an instrumental, might as well take a load off your shoulder strap and sit down. Most of my practice work is seated.

Interesting topic, though Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a right answer to this question. Everything depends on the context. Keyboard players mostly play/sing sitting and they still manage to convey emotions. Then there are performers who alternate between sitting and standing during the same show. Classical brass and woodwinds players play sitting and still manage to use their diaphragm effectively. In my opinion, everyone should play the way they feel the most comfortable, whether it looks ā€œcoolā€ or not.

1 Like

Absolutely

I did like the last paragraph of the following article

I tend to practice both but record sitting. Not really to do with frame. Just easier with space (dogs running around), ease of access to laptop etc.

1 Like

I played only sitting down for years and years and only started playing standing when we got the band together. It took about three or four weeks until playing felt as normal standing as it did sitting. Interestingly I tend to learn new songs sitting down but prefer practicing standing up. I donā€™t find either make a lot of difference singing BUT there are certain tracks where it feels more dynamic to play standing ( the upbeat ones!).

I have to admit in a live environment sitting down as a band really wouldnā€™t work in some venues although you do see it occasionally. Plenty of people sit down at open mics etc.

I really donā€™t think one is better than the other. Ideally you do both then can do whatever you fancy.

1 Like

Laying down, oh yeah!

Dudeā€¦ I was at an AC/DC concert in the late 70s & Angus was playing his SG laying flat on his back while crowd surfing! I thought for a minute I was seeing things & was like ā€œWhoa - donā€™t pass that doobie my way ANY more!!!ā€ :rofl:

BTW - a girl I worked with that day was giving away these tickets she had won on the radio and at first nobody wanted them because none of us had heard of either band - the other band was Journey - & it turned out to be an EPIC concert! :metal: :raised_hands: :clap:

Tod

1 Like

Classical guitarists do sit but I think the way the guitar is positioned, for a right handed player that would be on the left knee, translates better to a standing up position than having the guitar on the right knee playing right handed. I think the guitar is more across your body in the classical position and this is where the guitar lies when you stand up. Does that make sense?

1 Like

I am guilty of playing sitting down all the time - yes in front of a computer. When I had an opportunity to jam with a group, my biggest concern was the standing part not the barre chords - I declined. Need to change thisā€¦
Sitting made perfect sense to me as Iā€™ve been a drummer since 1972 and always played sitting down :laughing: When going to 2 hour rehearsals I was always pleased to be provided a seat unlike the others in the band.

1 Like