Why'd you Only Call Me When you're High - Arctic Monkeys (Fingerstyle cover)

Hey there everyone!

You thought that cause I posted an original song the other day I wouldn’t be sharing a cover?

WELL YOU BETTER THINK AGAIN

:rofl:

In all seriousness I wasn’t planning on it, I learnt the chords on this song some time ago, and lately I’ve been dipping my toe in some fingerstyle patterns, sounded nice and decided to record it.

Some blunders (or more than some) but I’m going back to my original idea of posting the first recording.

BTW decided to try capo on different songs to better fit my voice as someone adviced here and oh boy, what a gamechanger, thanks fot that (it was 2 or 3 different people and I’m too lazy to look it up but thanks).

10 Likes

Hi,
Sounds good. Liked the fingerwork as it seems spot on. You sing like Brian. If he sees this it will surely go to his head! :slight_smile:

Keep rock’n,
LB

1 Like

Good stuff, nice fingerstyle (I’m a bit partial to fingerstyle). One capo trick that worked well for me that I got from another musician is to pay attention to the lower notes in the melody / song. If you are struggling to get the volume on the lowest of notes it’s an indication you need to use the capo to go higher.

1 Like

Good job, Kevin. Finger-picking was sounding good, much more than just a wet toe :grin:

Never thought for a second that you’d cease sharing covers :laughing:

1 Like

Nice cover Kevin. Difficult phrasing in that song but you did a good job of it. I enjoyed your fingerstyle too.

1 Like

Nicely done, Kevin. I am soon to embark on the fingerstyle journey. Your playing is encouraging.

1 Like

Well I thought that was excellent stuff Kevin. Nice playing and good vocals.

It’s amazing how much hard it is to fingerstyle and sing that what it is to strum and sing, so a very well done.

1 Like

You’re powering along there Kevin- that’s an impressive piece of fingerpicking along with some tricky phrasing :smiley:

You can ignore @LBro; I’ve never done any vocal bends/warbling in my life, let alone sing anything as modern as the Frigid Monkees :rofl:
(Dude thinks his singing coaching makes him an expert or sumpin’… :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Wow that is very nice playing! Like the finger style version of this song and you’re singing goes well with it. Look forward to see more of your work :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you kindly, @Inge_guitar29, but this is Kevin Alonso’s post, and I agree with you it’s good, isn’t it? :smiley:

1 Like

Oh nice! Really dig it, just like the rest of your uploads :slight_smile: need to try that one out, too. Always wanted to put some Arctic Monkeys songs in my setlist!

1 Like

@LBro Thanks for the kind words, I’ll take that as a compliment!
@tony Thank you Tony, I got that tip from a friend jamming the other day and it makes so much sense, I was wasting so much energy to get to those low notes…
@DavidP They’ll have to lock me up for me to stop :sweat_smile: thank you David.
@sairfingers it is a strange phrasing, something that happens in a lot of the Monkeys’ songs, but that makes it so rewarding when you learn to do it!
@ChasetheDream Thank you, and you’ll have a great time with it I’m going to guess, it’s very interesting to get the mechanics of the patterns and also trying to work out things by yourself, you can come up with cool sounds.
@SgtColon It is, but when you start being able to do it, it’s like a new world opened up, you can get lost in the pickin’ :sweat_smile:
@brianlarsen thank you Brian, for your kind words and refusing to steal my thunder :rofl:
@Inge_guitar29 thank you very much! Not Brian but thanks! haha
@max_mue thanks Max! go for it, the thing about the Monkeys for me is they have such strong melodies, you can change the style of it and still works, lots of cool songs to mess around with.

Something I’d like to ask, maybe someone with experience with fingerpicking can enlighten me, but the day I recorded this, I was playing with my fingers for a while, and I developed a little blister on my thumb and me 3rd finger, needles to say I pick with my fingertips, not nails…
Is this normal? Should I pick in short sessions only? Does it get better as time goes along (as building calluses on the fretting hand, for example)?

Cheers!

@KevinKevan - I fingerpick about 75% of the songs I play and I use the pads on my fingers, not my nails. I’ve been playing for 10 years and most days play for at least an hour a day. I don’t have any calluses on my picking fingers, never had a blister on my picking thumb although I do use a thumb pick for the past 2.5 years. I cannot comment on what’s normal and what isn’t. Everyone’s mileage varies.

1 Like

Kevin, I don’t have Tony’s years of experience and don’t use my fingers nearly as much. That said, most I have ever experienced is some tenderness. So I can imagine if you’ve not done it before and then commence with long sessions you may get some reaction on the fingertips, just like when you started to play.

1 Like

@tony I may have to try out one of those picks if I get “serious” about fingerpicking and this happens again, thanks for responding!

@DavidP Let’s see how it goes, but if it happens everytime I do a long-ish session of picking I’ll have to evaluate the situation, and let nails grow or just get picks for the fingers… :frowning:

1 Like

Awesome, Kevin! I prefer your fingerstyle arrangement and instrumentation over the original. Would love to hear a “studio” style production of it.

I think I was one of those people. Pleased to hear that the capo made a big difference.

Yes, that’s normal if you’re not used to fingerpicking a lot and then you do a bunch. Also, makes me think of Dire Strait’s Money for Nothing: “…that’s the way you do it, you play the guitar on the MTV…maybe get a blister on your little finger, maybe get a blister on your thumb…” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah the innkeeper caught my comment! No singing expert here, just in listening, you 2 sound somewhat alike. :slight_smile:

Keep rock’n,
LB

2 Likes

@J.W.C I’m planning on starting to mess around with a “home studio” soon enough and I’ll keep that in mind, definitely one that I’ll keep in my repertoire. And finally that Straits line makes sense :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh shit, I’m sorry hahaha! I replied to this right before going to bed, and it showed that i needed it I guess.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin, apologies! I meant you of course. I needed to get some sleep when I replied to the video, but you get my point, look forward to hearing more from you! You play very well :smiley:

1 Like