Will I have phasing issues in this case?

My acoustic guitar is plugged in

I also use a condenser mic for my vocal and it is of course recording my
guitar

In this case, do I need to worry about phasing issues?

With a single microphone, generally you should not.

However, if you have a phase reversal switch on your guitar preamp, try pressing it to see if it makes any difference or improvement.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks
The two signals will not be identical so phase cancellation might not be a big problem.
But as for preamp I do not see any phase reversal switch perhaps you mean in DAW?

No, I mean on the guitar pre-amp if you are talking about an electro-acoustic. Some of them have a phase switch on them.

If you don’t, or you are using an electric guitar, then it’s not an issue.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Yes, on one of mine its push the tone knob to reverse phase to improve bass response at low volume and suppress feedback at high volume.

1 Like

Do you mean this?

My classical guitar has this not my acoustic or electric
and that button I thought was to disconnect or connect internal mic
as my electric classical guitar has both mic inside and a line to connect to amp

Yes, the button labelled “phase”.

No, it’s to invert the phase. As @Socio states, it’s generally there to change the response of the guitar or to suppress feedback.

This is, as I understand it, because when playing with an amp you can get feedback from the amp to the body of the guitar.

Depending on the nature of this feedback, it may either cancel out or emphasise some frequencies in unwanted ways. Inverting the phase can reduce that effect.

The mic level is on a separate control labelled “mic vol”. If you don’t want the sound from the mic you set this to its minimum level.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

I would have thought that the volume dial adjusts the level of the microphone and the other dial adjusts the piezo pickup volume and you would use them concurrently to blend? Setting either down to zero would effectively disconnect that particular pick up? And pressing the phase button would reverse the phase typically used for example when you get a bit of feedback?

1 Like

ok when the phase button is in pushed status
I put my finger into the guitar hole and rub the Mic inside it sounds
But when the phase button is released
I put my finger into the guitar holder and touch the mic inside but it is mute no sound at all
The volume seems to affect all sound

Now I am even more confused :slight_smile: LOL