Willy and the hand jive

This is a video made for the challenge number 1 for the class of 2023 on Justin’s Guitar facebook page.

I am currently in week 8 of my guitar journey and I have just started Grade 1 module 4, hence the strumming pattern. I started learning the song on Friday to show how far I have really got rather than do another video of That’s alright mama which is better after several weeks of putting it in my practice routine.

Points I have gleaned from the video, strumming - using wrist instead of elbow, timing - could be better, Still getting duff notes on the chords. Oh and I must remember to smile :wink:

11 Likes

Nice! Looks like a good start! I find myself all serious faced as well when I concentrate. I am smiling inside, though!

1 Like

Good job there, Tony.

Love that Bo Diddley beat (as I believe it is called), hear it on the drums.

I think your strumming action looked pretty good in terms of balance of wrist and forearm. My encouragement would be to keep the hand moving continuously. There were a few moments when you paused with the rhythm and rather than a pause, try for a down-up that misses the strings.

Keep doing what you are doing, you are progressing well.

1 Like

@DavidP thank you. Strumming is still not automatic, that is one of my next goals.

1 Like

Good job Tony, your changes seemed decent all around and kudos for playing standing at this point. I’d echo David’s comments on strumming and trying to keep the momentum, I’d also add to allow yourself to have a lightly bigger arm movement, it may help with that flow. Moving along really nicely!

And don’t worry about the smiling, I don’t really do that in any AVOYPs even now!!

1 Like

@Notter thank you. I have actually found playing standing up easier now. I can sway along with the movement better when just playing for myself. On camera though, that seems to disappear … at the moment.

1 Like

You’ve identified some pointers yourself and some good advice given already by others. So I’ll just say well done, you’re on track.

1 Like

Hi Tony,
Only 8 weeks…look what you came from 8 weeks and a day or so back :smile:
:clap: :sunglasses:,Keep on going :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

Nice work Tony. I wouldn’t worry about smiling too much. Some of the greatest out there are pretty deadpan when performing. Be yourself.

1 Like

8 weeks in mate, looks like you’re having a ball. Keep at it. Some good feedback here already and some good self analysis.

I’d add a bit to the strumming point… it looks like you’re doing a lot of micro-pauses, and are hesitant. You’ll know you have strumming right when your forearm flops around like a wet noodle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (for real)

1 Like

Good job there Tony. Eight weeks in and looking pretty good. Some great advice already given so I’ll just say, I enjoyed it.

1 Like