Wish You Were Here Riff For Beginners

Hello Stacy, I’ve started learning this riff two days ago, and yes, that’s a fantastic piece of music :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. It’s not easy to learn, and I had the same problems with the bit, where the G Note is removed. I had to watch this part of the video again and again. But finally I managed to play it the right way - very slowly :innocent:.

The sound of my stuck 3&4 chords definitely has to improve, but right now, I’m too focused on just hitting the right strings at the right time :blush:.

I wonder about your current progress with the riff. Is it still part of your practice routine?

I also started learning the rest of the song, as verses and chorus appear to be much easier :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m really looking forward to the moment, I’ll be able to play the whole song - and sounding good :grinning:.

2 Likes

I also watched this part many times. I did find the right timing to make this sound right. It took practice and I had to get the whole riff sequence memorized first, but once I did, I could then focus on the timing in that spot. It was one of the last pieces of the puzzle but everything did start coming together eventually.

Im happy with my progress but still need to work on three things. 1 - not muting strings unintentionally. (I switched from an acoustic to an electric, and the strings are closer together, I think. Suddenly I’m muting strings.) 2 - I still hit the wrong strings at times (may have to do with string spacing). And 3 - wrist position is all over the place with this riff and I don’t know if it’s ok for it to be.

But it’s sounding pretty good when I can get through it with no mistakes.

The more you practice the Stuck 3/4, the better this riff will get. Or vice versa! You’re braver than me if you’re learning the whole song. It will be very impressive to anyone watching you play!

5 Likes

Wish you were here Beginner lesson Grade 2
Justin demonstrates the Riff for this lesson
Keeping fingers 3 and 4 down throughout the riff.
Starting with second finger on fret 3
Then he plucks the open A string
Then plucks A string at fret 2 with finger 1
He then plays the D string open
However in the video it seems he is keeping finger 1 down
On fret 2 and removing it once he plucks the D string
He then plays open D
This is where I get confused
He ends the riff by plucking the D string at second fret with finger 2

Does he keep finger 1 on the second fret of 5th string then pluck D string
And remove finger 1 from second fret once he plucks the D string and then
Play D string open again before plucking second fret with finger 2

1 Like

That‘s great :smiley::+1:. Right now, I manage to hit the right strings the whole riff through, but the stuck 3&4 G and EM chords definitely need much more practice. They still sound awkward :crazy_face:. But I played the riff to my son-in-law, and he immediately recognized which song it was :blush:. So, I guess, it wasn‘t that bad :innocent:.

6 Likes

This is without a doubt one of the most satisfying bits of the beginner course, when you get it it feels amazing. Well done guys!

2 Likes

At 7:00 in the lesson, Justin very clearly plays the Em7 as 33022. The TAB says it’s 3302. Why is the TAB missing the second fret on the A string?

2 Likes

He has his fingers in those positions but only strums the D, G, B and E strings.

3 Likes

Ah, OK. You got me there! :slightly_smiling_face:
In that case Justin is playing is the notes EGDG. However, Em7 has the notes EGBD. EGB makes the E minor and the D is the 7th note. By not playing the A string second fret, Justin is ommiting the B note. So is it still an Em7?

Edit: I just read your comment in the top post about the Em7. So it’s sort of an embellishment of the Em7? My question still stands though- is an Em7 without a B note still an Em7?

Thanks for your efforts on this.

Yes, still Em7.
The 5th in a 7 type chord can be omitted.

1 Like

TAB now fully revised and correct.

2 Likes

Hi,
Sorry about my question.
In the tab in the riff part 1 in the video Justin plays the Em7 but in the tab is not reflected is it correct?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hello @PauloR and welcome to the community. Scroll up just a few posts for more on this.
Cheers
Richard

@PauloR When I play this section, I play the full Em7 chord, as you show in your modified screen shot.

Don’t know what is “correct” anymore - I learned it this way from the video…before the tab was available.

2 Likes

Guys
I’m on module 8 on the app… I’m having trouble with the last part of the lesson from Justin, I can’t figure out the finger placement and record it in my tab book. Do any of you know where or if on Justin’s cite the same riff is recorded in Tab?
Vinny

1 Like

@Feefee
Try the website. I think they may be more detailed lessons

@Feefee
When using the app for lessons it is always worth bearing in mind that the lesson content on the website is the foremost place for not just the lessons but additional guidance and resources. Check post 1 above and click the link in it.
Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

I think I got her written down in tab I’ll tweak it once I start practicing it. I’ve been working on two songs, Chris Stapleton “you should probably leave” and Josh Turner’s “Home town girl”. Adding a little flavor to my strumming/rhythm instead of sounding so robotic makes singing it more challenging. Working on it !!!

1 Like

Thank you for this. It’s very helpful.

1 Like

wow this is a tough one, and I do need to agree to alot of replys here that Justin explains things very fast in the later part of the video.

Anyway my question is about the TAB that is included.
Where it says to play a chord, for example Em7 on the first beat one. And on the TAB it’s indicated to play on the second fret, string 4. Above the number there is a small line that goes over string 2 and 3. What does that mean? Theese “symbols” repeats itself multiple times thoughout the TAB and I don’t understand it…

Sorry if this has already been answered here, in that case I have missed it.

I played for about 2 months now and I’m hooked! Keep up the good work!

EDIT; - Took out a question I found had been answered.