Wish You Were Here Riff For Beginners

At 7:00 in the lesson, Justin very clearly plays the Em7 as 33022. The TAB says it’s 3302. Why is the TAB missing the second fret on the A string?

2 Likes

He has his fingers in those positions but only strums the D, G, B and E strings.

2 Likes

Ah, OK. You got me there! :slightly_smiling_face:
In that case Justin is playing is the notes EGDG. However, Em7 has the notes EGBD. EGB makes the E minor and the D is the 7th note. By not playing the A string second fret, Justin is ommiting the B note. So is it still an Em7?

Edit: I just read your comment in the top post about the Em7. So it’s sort of an embellishment of the Em7? My question still stands though- is an Em7 without a B note still an Em7?

Thanks for your efforts on this.

Yes, still Em7.
The 5th in a 7 type chord can be omitted.

1 Like

TAB now fully revised and correct.

2 Likes

Hi,
Sorry about my question.
In the tab in the riff part 1 in the video Justin plays the Em7 but in the tab is not reflected is it correct?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @PauloR and welcome to the community. Scroll up just a few posts for more on this.
Cheers
Richard

@PauloR When I play this section, I play the full Em7 chord, as you show in your modified screen shot.

Don’t know what is “correct” anymore - I learned it this way from the video…before the tab was available.

2 Likes

Guys
I’m on module 8 on the app… I’m having trouble with the last part of the lesson from Justin, I can’t figure out the finger placement and record it in my tab book. Do any of you know where or if on Justin’s cite the same riff is recorded in Tab?
Vinny

1 Like

@Feefee
Try the website. I think they may be more detailed lessons

@Feefee
When using the app for lessons it is always worth bearing in mind that the lesson content on the website is the foremost place for not just the lessons but additional guidance and resources. Check post 1 above and click the link in it.
Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

I think I got her written down in tab I’ll tweak it once I start practicing it. I’ve been working on two songs, Chris Stapleton “you should probably leave” and Josh Turner’s “Home town girl”. Adding a little flavor to my strumming/rhythm instead of sounding so robotic makes singing it more challenging. Working on it !!!

1 Like

Thank you for this. It’s very helpful.

1 Like

wow this is a tough one, and I do need to agree to alot of replys here that Justin explains things very fast in the later part of the video.

Anyway my question is about the TAB that is included.
Where it says to play a chord, for example Em7 on the first beat one. And on the TAB it’s indicated to play on the second fret, string 4. Above the number there is a small line that goes over string 2 and 3. What does that mean? Theese “symbols” repeats itself multiple times thoughout the TAB and I don’t understand it…

Sorry if this has already been answered here, in that case I have missed it.

I played for about 2 months now and I’m hooked! Keep up the good work!

EDIT; - Took out a question I found had been answered.

Hiya, the Em7 is for the bar and refers to the chord shape of the bar not a chord to be played on beat one, thats the writing style of music notation. Your hand however will form the shape Em7 in that bar.

As for the little lines are you talking about the little smile line, if so, its called a tie, that note and the note its tied too are played for the duration of those2 notes and not 2 individual notes. you see 5 notes but 4 strum lines, need to know the rythem here.

IF you’re talking about the thicker horizontal lines throughout the clip they are called beams, more notation im afraid. certain notes are beamed in music notation on a stave. Any note shorter than a quarter note can be shown as beamed(note duration) if more than 1 is played in that bar immediately after another or, it will look like the very first note. you see a small (tail) also goes to note duration (8th).

So, 1 tail or 1 bean is an eighth note, 2 sixteenth. Take the first note with the dots in the red square, that means “dotted” or 50% longer in duration (it has 1 bar ( an eighth note) + (16th) play for duration 3 16th ( hence the need to swing strumming arm 2 more times but play nothing before the next UP strum…

If you’re talking about all the thin vertical lines(stem) they’re all part of music notation, all notes will have them with the exception of a whole note or you would not be able to show the duration of a note.

I wrote one bar with the notation included, you’ll see.

If i’ve not understood which line please highlite the line on an image and someone will help with that.

I do agree with this one being a lot harder though. :slight_smile:

Rachel.

PS, im writing this at 3 am and not had a cuppa yet, so I cannot vouch for my brain at this hour lol.

I highly recommend a small pocket music theory book, the first few chapters are invalluable, I still have mine from years ago.

Huh…has it really been a year since I commented on the infamous WYWH riff?

…and here I am…still working on it a year later!

To be honest, I’ve made some progress:

• I can play it without looking at either hand (most of the time)
  • strumming is more fluid, though I gave up on the TAB for the Am7 section, and improvised my own pattern
  • I can play - and sing! - the whole song now

But it’s still not where I want it.

This song is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

3 Likes

I’m still working on it too. But getting there.

I struggled with the timing a lot

Great practice song for Strumming, picking and singing along.

1 Like

Hi thansk for the reply, alot of good tips. The annotations Im asking about.
TAB-annotation2

See the vertical line over the 0 in the example.

Also what does the dot (or is it an asterix) next to the numbers in some chords, and at the first G notate?

That means it’s a quarter note - it’s played for one beat (or 1/4 of the measure)

Thanks for the pic - made it very clear what you were asking.