Wish You Were Here Riff For Beginners

You won’t be sorry. There’s a hell of a lot that can be learned from that one - supposedly “easy” - song.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing guitar for decades now, but never had time to really practice regularly. I also think this riff is not really meant to be mastered perfectly by beginners, but in most cases just to have a little try on it on your own speed. I think I would need couple of days to master it in normal speed. The strumming is also way to difficult for beginners, even I have problems remembering it.
Just try it and try not to be stuck and frustrated about it…this is really not beginner’s material, it requires precision work for both hands, if you are frustrated just move on…you can keep coming back to it again and again as you progress the course.

4 Likes

@JGAdmin how did you get your pdf format to export from your Guitar Pro format like that? I have been looking for that!

1 Like

Michael

GP has an Export function File>Export. You can export audio, midi, text (ASCII) and PDF. Select every track or individual tracks if you want. Been using it for years ! Have fun.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Justin does use Guitar Pro for some of his downloadable files but his TAB is frequently created using other software - I’m not sure which.

1 Like

That must be what I’m looking for. The export doesn’t give me the same look as I’m looking for. Thanks for that input.

1 Like

I’ve understood what i should do on the guitar, but whats very hard for me was following the rhythm part and it was played kind of fast.
Whats really missing in the song or riff videos, is a longer count into the songs and a real metronom. I’ve learned harmonica and the thing that helped me the most was looping/slowing songs or parts of songs with a metronom or percussion in the background.
The audio files are a good addition, but it would be better if the metronom follows the whole tune.

1 Like

Hello Jürgen, don’t get discouraged. This is an intro that takes a lot of time to master. I returned to this from Grade 3 after a year away from the song and I found that I had to spend a few weeks to relearn. Try to slow down the lesson to 3/4 or even 1/2 speed in the web lesson or the lesson in the app. The sound is a little distorted but it helps with the counting. Also, I must add that I don’t do an exact count for the rhythms. I keep count of the 1,2,3 and 4 by tapping foot as I move my hand up and down and strum on the ups and downs that Justin calls out for the rhythm. Such as:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + To get the approximate rhythm and listen to Justin for the exact rhythm.
D____U__U D

That may not help you but if you practice at slower speed I’m sure you will eventually get the rhythm.

Me too.

Note that the Moises app lets you easily do slowing and looping on any song.

In addition, it has a Smart Metronome feature that detects the song’s tempo, and adds a metronome click.

1 Like

Hi I am trying to learn the song wish you were hear,I’m a beginner and I’ve learnt the intro and verses but I’m having trouble learning the solo intro,should I stick at it,I’ve learnt the intro with hammer ons,I’m just having trouble with the flick offs with the solo intro.as I said I’m a beginner have I bitten off more than I can chew

Hi Daniel,

Sometimes it’s nice to have a song you can play through.

If you keep the solo in your practice routine from time to time, eventually you’ll be able to include it.

I skipped it and I never got back to it :frowning:

Maybe treat it as a separate piece for now you can just work on when you have a spare 5 mins ?

Hello Daniel.

Nothing wrong with working on it. Its a great tune.
Be mindful though that any piece of music requires a set of skills as a pre-requisite to being able to master it.
Approaching it this way can avoud frustrations

This solo in particular, is a tricky in parts, and does require a set of skills that are generally beyond beginner level. It would be a better option to become competent in these skills at a basic level, and then utilise solos like these to develop these skills . Eg, string bending, legato etc.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Keep at it and you will get it . This solo took me a while to get and I am still trying to perfect it.

Yeah, me too. At least 2.5 years so far and still learning and moving with this piece. It is fun at any speed!

Completely agree; starting at 10:53 when he introduces the second part of the piece his speed increases and the lesson becomes almost impossible to follow for me.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I picked up a guitar just over a year ago for the first time ever, I’m 66 and loving it, though I’m finding it a challenge. My fingers sometimes don’t do what my brain tells them lol. I subscribe to the app and I find it fantastic, I also love working out some of the things myself from Justin’s vids, this helps me understand more about playing, music and rhythm. I just have a question about the Wish You Were Here riff TAB which I cannot work out, hope you can give me some pointers. I will use the Am7 as my example, in the TAB it’s shown as 3302, I would have thought it would be written as 330220. Forgive me for writing it this way my, I couldn’t work out how to display it properly. Guys this site and the app are brilliant keep up the good work. Thanks Mick

@Jacksonious and @Mick_Lunn , very nice to have new folks here. You can make introductions here
Say hi to everyone :slight_smile:

R

Hi. I have the same issue, I thought it would be displayed 330220, I’m glad it’s just not me.

I don’t use the app, so can’t answer your question, sorry, but just FYI, this chord grip notation should start on string 6 and go to string 1, so 022033. Also, this is Em7, not Am7.

1 Like