Work in progress. Now complete, Morning Falling Part 5 Mal

Began this chord progression this morning, but at present is not going anywhere. It starts on A and resolves to A, any suggestions as to where it might lead? all comments are welcome.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure out the progression you’ve come up with so far, but I’m not a 100% sure. Is it this one?

Amaj7 - Dmaj7 - Amaj7 - Dmaj7
Amaj7 - Dmaj7 - Cmin7 - F#9
D - C - Bb - A

We could go for a bridge that starts from the relative minor (F#m). With a few fairly easy* triad grips and some voice leading we build up to the Amaj7 again. How about this?

F#m/B - x x 9 11 10 x x
F#m/C# - x x 11 11 10 x
C#m - x x 11 9 9 x
Caug - x x 10 9 9 x

F#m/B - x x 9 11 10 x x
F#m/C# - x x 11 11 10 x
C#m - x x 11 9 9 x
Bm6/D - x x 12 13 12 x

Amaj7/E - x x 14 13 14 x

* Nothing’s easy, but they don’t require big stretches. :slight_smile:

Jeff, thank you for the reply. Will check this out and see how it plays. Will get back to you later.

Hi Mal,

that sounded nice , sweet and dreamy to my ears. Not sure whether this is a good term, though.

Don’t know why, but while listening I imagined Audrey Hepburn playing Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. :sweat_smile: You’re progression has just a good vibe and mood to it.

Unfortunately, no advice popped up while listening. But I see, Jeff already offered some ideas. If something’s coming up, I’ll drop it here. For now, I’m just curious how it will come along. :slight_smile:

Thanks Lisa, I will take Moon River, love the film! Watch this space. :smiley:

1 Like

Jeff,
The chords played to start are these:
Amaj7 - Dmaj7 - Amaj7 - Dmaj7
Amaj7 - Dmaj7 - C#m7 - F#9
D - C - Bb - A

I like the idea of the triads and the F#m/B - F#m/C# - C#m - Caug x2

Here I have incorporated your suggestions. Let me know what you think. Still no lyrics but I am enjoying the process.
Any and all comments welcome.

3 Likes

I think it’s coming along nicely Mal. :+1:

What’s your feeling about the rhythm? It sounds good arpeggiated, but you could try some variations to see if they work better.

In 4/4 with a bass - chord - bass - chord pattern.
In 6/8 arpeggiated.
Etc.

Hi Jeff, thanks. I have not as yet thought much about the rhythm, just getting the feel of the chords. I was going for a laid back feel, though a jazz feel could work, will certainly try different tempos. :thinking: :smiley:

1 Like

Here we have the third part. Following suggestions from Profile - Jeff - JustinGuitar Community here is an up tempo jazz feel on electric. Let me know what you think acoustic or electric.
https://youtu.be/fc9-Dhz9BEk

Just checking in Mal, and whilst I’m not really in any position to give any suggestions it’s really fun to watch through the creative process you’re taking here, the jazz feel you’ve just posted sounds really funky, a nice direction for the progression.

Thanks Mark. Yes it is a lot of fun doing this. Posting like this is something not done previously, and thanks to @Jeff and his suggestions it has really helped. Still not there but progress indeed. :smiley:

Hi Mal,

the jazzy feel and the progression work nicely together, I liked this approach. Cool vibe going on. Unfortunately, still no helpful advice popping up, but I really enjoy watching your progress on this, Mal. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Hi Lisa, thank you. Yes this is fun, and I like the jazzy feel. Not complete yet of course, still not sure about lyrics, indeed do not have any yet.
Still, it now has a working title. More to come. :grinning:

1 Like

That sounded really nice Mal. I thought the progression was good. I can’t really help with any advice but I wanted to let you know I enjoyed it.

Thank you Stefan, pleased you enjoyed the song as it is. Still being worked on, trying to find a hook of some sort to lift it. :thinking: :smiley:

Ok, so we are now with an intro and outro added, still requires polish, but the song is almost complete. Please let me know what you think.

3 Likes

So well done, Mal! :clap:

Your tune has such a cool, relaxed and easy going vibe. It’s a pleasure to listen to already. Intro and Outro fit nicely. :+1: It already sounds quite round and smooth - looking forward to the next update. :slight_smile:

That is sounding real nice, Mal. I like the intro and outro, the tone sounds smooth and I love the relaxed feel to the song.

Thank you Lisa, yes I am pleased with the way this is turning out. It still needs polish though will soon be finished. Still cannot decide if lyrics are required or not, but may just wait and see if and when anything comes to me. :grinning: :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Stefan, I am enjoying this process of posting and getting feedback, from @Jeff in particular who suggested the bridge section. Pleased you are enjoying it. :smile:

1 Like