Yamaha Silent Steel String... any opinions?

Hey, folks. I’m thinking seriously of getting a Yamaha silent guitar, both as a practice tool and because I’m doing a lot of travelling this year and want to bring it along (the last time I travelled with my regular acoustic, it got banged up badly by baggage handlers). Does anyone have experience with these? All the YouTube vids and reviews seem enthusiastic, but I wanted to check with the Community here and see what comes up. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi Benedict,
Long time no see,
If you type in the search window…

Then you get 23 results… there must be something good in between :sunglasses:

Have a lot of fun with buying :sunglasses:… they also look at me with questioning eyes…buy me,buy me…

Greetings,Rogier

Hey, Roger! I’ve been taking private lessons for the last few months, so don’t hop on the Justin site much. I did use the search bar, but did so in a cursory fashion, and didn’t see anything helpful. I will try again.

Hi ,
And how are those lessons going? and does that go well with Justin’s course ?Or do you mean that by not being present much on the site,and in that case :hear_no_evil:… :smile: I hope you’re making good progress and can show off some of your arts here in a while :sunglasses:
Greetings…

Hey again. The lessons are going quite well. I don’t use Justin’s lessons much anymore, although I listen to his “motivational” speeches when I can, and occasionally a tutorial for a song here and there. The personal lessons are actually online with a man in Birmingham. I am making much better progress with the personal lessons, I must say, at least for the time being. I am far too nervous about my playing to record and post it, at least at this stage of the game! :persevere::persevere::persevere:

It’s great that you have private lessons, and it’s a pity that you miss Justin’s course because of it… Brrr I don’t want to think about it :smile:, but if you think it might take you further then you should do it like this… maybe an idea to play 1 Justin lesson every 2 weeks and ask your teacher an questions about it ,or something like that,it is the best course in the world according to many connoisseurs after all :sunglasses:
Best wishes…

1 Like

I’ve got a silent guitar and am very happy with it. The only downside is I don’t feel the vibration of the body of the guitar against my torso when I play it. I’m currently planning to sell mine as I now have a very good quiet space to play when my wife is sleeping in. They are a great option for what you’ve talked about.

1 Like

The SLG200s was my first guitar and I really enjoy mine.
Get good headphones, I’m using DT-770 Pros.

I agree and I miss my Justin lessons. I’ll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice! Groetjes

1 Like

Cool! I’d never have thought of starting out with that, but I was (and am still) such a newbie that I didn’t even know they existed. I am seriously jonesing to try one out, though

I looking at trying these out for when I’m caravanning. There are some excellent reviews here.

One of the musicians at my local bar uses one, as well as one of the guys at the jam sessions I occasionally go to.

They both really rate them.

I have been considering one myself.

Cheers,

Keith

I’m not sure which would suit me better, the nylon or the steel string. I like the sounds both make, but they are different.
I guess I need to try both. Unfortunately, I can’t afford two more guitars :joy:

1 Like

I know that feeling.

When I’m ready, I’m going to the local Yamaha store to try them both out.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like